Michael Bay's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: New Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle Movie 2014 ... Good or Bad

Bay wasn't director but he was a huge part of writing the script. And no I didn't want a mirror image of the 90's movies, but they could have followed the story basics or comics a litter more. I mean come on the turtles were April's pets? And it wasn't that it wasn't a ok movie as a whole, it's just it did A LOT of thing wrong!

Like I said before, if I was a kid watching this movie as my first test movie, I would not be a fan...

And you can't argue that the casting was just horrible.

I'm assuming you're not a kid, growing up in todays culture, so who's to say you wouldn't. ;) Different times these kids are growing up in is all I'm saying. This will be their TMNT movie, just as the 90's is 'ours'.

My dad LOVES Adam West Batman. That's the one he grew up on. He took me to see '89 Batman and that became 'mine'. This is no different. ( before someone takes a hit out on me, I'm NOT saying this movie is as good/better than '89 Batman.).

And Aprils connection to the Turtles is taken from the IDW comics that are out now. So they kinda did follow the comics...just not the ones you wanted. ;)

I am sorry you were highly disappointed. So you came home and turned on some cartoons you say?
Gotta love those Toons :)

The Nick toon show is actually better than the film and pretty much the best interpretation of the TMNT so far.

I'm sorry for your sadness. It is Turtles. You still have your 90s movie in the $5 bins at Walmart. ;)

Ironically, the new TMNT (2014) will be in that same bin at Walmart a year from now :lol

You're right! When do you think they'll make a Nick toons turtles movie? Will you be there opening night? :)

The Nick toon show is actually better than the film and pretty much the best interpretation of the TMNT so far.

Ironically, the new TMNT (2014) will be in that same bin at Walmart a year from now :lol

Never mind, a sequel was just announced :lol

https://variety.com/2014/film/news/...ion-global-debut-sequel-announced-1201279430/

Paramount Pictures was so pleased by “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles’s” $93.7 million global debut this weekend that it said it is moving forward with plans for a sequel to the franchise reboot.

Domestically, the film kicked up a sterling $65 million from 3,845 locations.

So cowabunga and cue the follow-up. Part two will land in theaters on June 3, 2016 with Michael Bay’s Platinum Dunes returning again as a producer and screenwriters Josh Appelbaum and André Nemec (“Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol”) coming back as screenwriters.

The sequel announcement comes after the film managed to hold off “Guardians of the Galaxy.” Analysts expected the Marvel film to take a bigger chunk out of “Ninja Turtle’s” profits given that both films were expected to appeal to younger males. The comicbook film still managed to bring in $41.5 million in its sophomore weekend, a 56% drop from its debut that pushed its stateside haul to $175.9 million. That’s roughly in line with what the first “Thor” and “Captain America” films did during the entirety of their domestic runs.

“‘Guardians’ is a great movie and it’s always tough to come right behind a great movie,” said Megan Colligan, president of domestic marketing and distribution for Paramount. “Ultimately we played more like a family film and they played a notch older…The great thing about summer is the marketplace is able to expand to allow for these two films.”

Males made up 61% of “Ninja Turtle’s” opening audience, which was 45% under the age of 25. That was roughly the same as “Guardian’s” debut weekend, which was 55% 26 and older, and 56% male. “Ninja Turtles” success was fueled by two core groups. It appealed to both younger crowds and twenty-somethings who remembered the original 1990s television show, films and toylines with fondness.

“A lot of it was nostalgia,” said Paul Dergarabedian, senior media analyst for Rentrak. “There is a generational affection for these characters.”

“Ninja Turtles” was a big $125 million gamble for Paramount Pictures, which is trying to demonstrate to its corporate leaders at Viacom that it can pull off big-screen synergy. In the case of “Ninja Turtles,” that meant capitalizing on the highly-rated cartoon reboot that was overseen by Nickelodeon, another Viacom property.

“This is a really important property for all of Viacom,” said Colligan. “The show is a big hit, and in terms of the toys and merchandise, kids have a huge appetite for it and really, really love this brand.”

A week after “Guardians of the Galaxy” broke records for the month with its $94.3 million bow, “Ninja Turtles” scored the fourth biggest August debut in history. In addition to the Marvel film, it trails “The Bourne Ultimatum” ($69.3 million) and “Rush Hour 2″ ($67.4 million).

The casting was horrible, Knoxville as Leo, bad bad decision. An fox can't act. I agree that shredder was thrown in an didn't feel right. As for splinter, bad look and bad voice choice, I would like to have someone like Ken Watanabe as the voice.(last samurai, godzilla 2014). now as the story was ok, but it could have been so much more. I said this before, if I just saw this film as my 5 yr old self I would not be a fan of the turtles.

I wish one studio had the balls to make an adult tent movie, based around the comics.

So pretty much every review is either really bad or just bordering on OK (but still with bad points mixed in). Having not seen the movie yet the Bay-apologists may give me some grief but it looks like they really dropped the ball on this reboot.

Yea cause Ken Watanabe is the token Japanese guy. You should make that adult movie. Show the studios how it's done :)

The casting was horrible, Knoxville as Leo, bad bad decision. An fox can't act. I agree that shredder was thrown in an didn't feel right. As for splinter, bad look and bad voice choice, I would like to have someone like Ken Watanabe as the voice.(last samurai, godzilla 2014). now as the story was ok, but it could have been so much more. I said this before, if I just saw this film as my 5 yr old self I would not be a fan of the turtles.

I wish one studio had the balls to make an adult tent movie, based around the comics.

Great to beeswax, i completely agree on what you said about the generations. Now with that out of the way, we are the generation that made that what it is today, an I wish to god there was a studio who are willing to pay dues to us, lol.

I think that the new nickelodeon cartoon has done a better job than this. But to each his own. It wasn't a horrible plot, i just didn't like the cast or some specific character image choices, and character personality choices.

Needless to say when the second one comes out i will still go see it just cause I always will love that an it will always have a place in my youthful heart. Same as the star wars episodes weren't great 1-3, but I'll still go see 7-9

It pretty much seems like everyone hates it. But is that going to stop me from watching it, nope! I have been a fan of TMNT since the 80s, and though there have been a lot of iterations of the franchise I can't stand, I still watch because I'm a fan as a whole. I will just go into this as I did all 4 TF movies, with zero expectations.

It pretty much seems like everyone hates it. But is that going to stop me from watching it, nope! I have been a fan of TMNT since the 80s, and though there have been a lot of iterations of the franchise I can't stand, I still watch because I'm a fan as a whole. I will just go into this as I did all 4 TF movies, with zero expectations.

If you like the TF movies, you will love TMNT.

The only opinion that should matter to you is your own. :)

I think that the new nickelodeon cartoon has done a better job than this. But to each his own. It wasn't a horrible plot, i just didn't like the cast or some specific character image choices, and character personality choices.

I enjoyed the movie, but without a doubt the Nick show is WAY better in every facet. I'd love it if the sequel focused less on April, more on the Turtles and had more of them fighting and showing of their skills. I'd love for some Nick styled fight scenes.

Last edited:
Back