Michael Bay's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just to clear up my own confusion, on IMDB Pete Plszek is credited as playing Leonardo, but Johnny Knoxville is credited for the voice...

how is that possible, aren't all the Turtles CGI ?

I mean, the other actors are credited for their roles as Turtles.

Bit confused.

It's been covered already but this might help:

Also their facial designs were based off the actors playing them. So Mikey actually looks quite a bit like Noel, Leo looks like Pete...

The same happened to Splinter, after the film was done, they got Tony Shalhoub to dubbed/rerecord the voice of Splinter....which it was a mistake, IMO.

Not sure if you're saying replacing Woodburn was a mistake (I've heard his 'Splinter' on the mobile game, and trust me...it wasn't a mistake to replace him), or if you don't think Shalhoub was the right replacement. But Shalhoub was fine in my books. He brought a little gravatas to the role. The issue most are having with this voice is that he's not Japanese. There's no accent, which many of us are used to.

I don't think the sequel will be better, I wanted to believe Bay didn't have much influence in this but I was proven wrong, it's got the most characteristic Bay trait of them all, a beyond dull story, and it works for them, they don't even have to try to make an interesting story, they'll make millions and they don't care about critic reception.

So they have no incentive to improve at all.

I hope you're wrong. I'm genuinely hoping they stick to a story and see it through. I don't think having Shredder magically back to being a nameless Japanese man helped this movie any, other than it shut a few people up. I almost think they should have stuck to their guns and put the movie out the way they had intended it to be. Maybe it would have felt a little less 'hacked to ****' in the end and less rushed.

It's a weird situation for me, because IMO all the "human" characters were terrible, not likable, awful, the story is just... dead, I can't think of any other adjective for it :lol

But the CGI characters brought all the life to the movie and were more interesting and human than the actual humans.... And they're CGI animals :lol

It was a bad movie, that's worth seeing only because of the effervescent CGI characters.

I really hope I'm wrong too, but we have 3 transformers sequels as precedents that it won't get better.

Not sure if you're saying replacing Woodburn was a mistake (I've heard his 'Splinter' on the mobile game, and trust me...it wasn't a mistake to replace him), or if you don't think Shalhoub was the right replacement. But Shalhoub was fine in my books. He brought a little gravatas to the role. The issue most are having with this voice is that he's not Japanese. There's no accent, which many of us are used to.

I haven't heard Woodburn's voice in the mobile game, is there a clip of it online? Anyway, I wasn't a fan of Shalhoub's voice. Not just because of the accent, but because I just kept hearing Monk :lol I feel Splinter should have a deep voice.

It's a weird situation for me, because IMO all the "human" characters were terrible, not likable, awful, the story is just... dead, I can't think of any other adjective for it :lol

But the CGI characters brought all the life to the movie and were more interesting and human than the actual humans.... And they're CGI animals :lol

It was a bad movie, that's worth seeing only because of the effervescent CGI characters.

I really hope I'm wrong too, but we have 3 transformers sequels as precedents that it won't get better.

It's funny because I'd never call it a good movie, but I enjoyed it immensely. lol Does that make sense? I'll never be able to defend it to anyone. I just, had a blast. It was a fun movie for me. Having my son there obviously helped. He was excited to see the 'real' turtles (he's very quick to point out they are 'boys in costumes' on the other movies), actually called out Karai's name when he saw her on screen (that surprised me) and has been quoting them non-stop for the last day and half. So maybe I enjoyed the experience more than the movie itself. I'll admit that, but I won't apologize for it.

Human side was definitely a weak spot. not so much in the cast/acting/plot, but more because....it wasn't the Turtles. Take the focus off of April. She was out introduction for us. Thanks, let's move on. Let her be involved in the story next time, but let's not have it be HER story next time.

I haven't heard Woodburn's voice in the mobile game, is there a clip of it online? Anyway, I wasn't a fan of Shalhoub's voice. Not just because of the accent, but because I just kept hearing Monk :lol I feel Splinter should have a deep voice.
See, I've never seen Monk so I didn't have that baggage in tow. Took me a bit to get over Knoxville though. I'd still like to here what Pete was like.

Gameplay with Woodburn as Pirate Splinter... You'll be thankful we got Shalhoub. No other movie voice talent is involved, but it does have 80's toon Leo's voice. Too lazy to google his name.

Whoa DEJA VU. Sounds like a mini review for the Star Wars Prequels and those actually had legit Actors. :)

If it wasn't for the 1987 "bastardization", the TMNT would be irrelevant today...and the TMNT comic would've been long forgotten like many other Indie comics.

As far as the 2003 being "superior", it's subjective. You like it, good for you, but I'm not a huge fan of it.

Making Hamato Yoshi and Splinter the same character is ok with me. A rat learning martial arts from a cage while he is mimicking his owner's movements is not something that should be taken seriously, so changing it didn't bother me.

There's nothing specific about the Nick Cartoon that's similar to the 1990 film, but if you watch the show, there are plenty of reference to the film, from lines, to actual scenes from the film. There are also references to the original cartoon and the comics. It's a mixture of everything....but nothing specific.

Gotcha.' There's nothing really unique about the Nick Turtles show, just bits and pieces from all the stuff that came before it, oh and it's CG. It is what it is. If the 1987 cartoon made you a fan then that's "your turtles." If the 1984 comic made you a fan those are "your turtles." Like if the 1989 Batman made you a fan that's "your Batman." My POV is based on accuracy to the original content and the quality of the show. To me that's the best version of TMNT due to the closeness to the original Turtles and the involvement of Peter Laird in making the 2003 show. The 2003 show actually had one of the creators of the Turtles attached to it. Imagine that; like Stan Lee being involved with a Spider-Man cartoon and not just as a voice or an executive producer.
Thanks to that we were able to get episodes like the one were Donatello meets Jack Kirby. My favorite Turtle comic and they actually made an episode out of it.

Any who, it was said the Nick show was the best version of TMNT and as a 28 year fan of the Turtles I thought I'd give my 10 cents. I guess it's subjective.

I guess we'll never know if the Turtles would have survived without the 1987 cartoon. Maybe the movie from 1990 would have done for Turtles what the 2008 Iron Man film did for the Iron Man character. The world will never know...

Whoa! Game looks Cool

It's funny because I'd never call it a good movie, but I enjoyed it immensely. lol Does that make sense? I'll never be able to defend it to anyone. I just, had a blast. It was a fun movie for me. Having my son there obviously helped. He was excited to see the 'real' turtles (he's very quick to point out they are 'boys in costumes' on the other movies), actually called out Karai's name when he saw her on screen (that surprised me) and has been quoting them non-stop for the last day and half. So maybe I enjoyed the experience more than the movie itself. I'll admit that, but I won't apologize for it.

Human side was definitely a weak spot. not so much in the cast/acting/plot, but more because....it wasn't the Turtles. Take the focus off of April. She was out introduction for us. Thanks, let's move on. Let her be involved in the story next time, but let's not have it be HER story next time.

See, I've never seen Monk so I didn't have that baggage in tow. Took me a bit to get over Knoxville though. I'd still like to here what Pete was like.

Gameplay with Woodburn as Pirate Splinter... You'll be thankful we got Shalhoub. No other movie voice talent is involved, but it does have 80's toon Leo's voice. Too lazy to google his name.

Whoa DEJA VU. Sounds like a mini review for the Star Wars Prequels and those actually had legit Actors. :)

Not my review though :lol The only thing I like about the prequels is Darth Maul and Jango.... And maybe Qui-Gon.

[/video]

Yeah I get you, well, people were laughing out loud constantly during the movie, and I heard a lot of "uuuuh" and "oooooh".

It's weird that they put so much attention and soul into the Turtles and Splinter's personalities and everything else is so devoid of life.

Good thing there is a lot of screen time with the turtles.

ILM did a great job on this and GOTG. :) Hopefully they'll get a bigger budget for the second one.

Not my review though :lol The only thing I like about the prequels is Darth Maul and Jango.... And maybe Qui-Gon.

Yeah I get you, well, people were laughing out loud constantly during the movie, and I heard a lot of "uuuuh" and "oooooh".

It's weird that they put so much attention and soul into the Turtles and Splinter's personalities and everything else is so devoid of life.

Good thing there is a lot of screen time with the turtles.

Gotcha.' There's nothing really unique about the Nick Turtles show, just bits and pieces from all the stuff that came before it, oh and it's CG. It is what it is. If the 1987 cartoon made you a fan then that's "your turtles." If the 1984 comic made you a fan those are "your turtles." Like if the 1989 Batman made you a fan that's "your Batman." My POV is based on accuracy to the original content and the quality of the show. To me that's the best version of TMNT due to the closeness to the original Turtles and the involvement of Peter Laird in making the 2003 show. The 2003 show actually had one of the creators of the Turtles attached to it. Imagine that; like Stan Lee being involved with a Spider-Man cartoon and not just as a voice or an executive producer.
Thanks to that we were able to get episodes like the one were Donatello meets Jack Kirby. My favorite Turtle comic and they actually made an episode out of it.

Any who, it was said the Nick show was the best version of TMNT and as a 28 year fan of the Turtles I thought I'd give my 10 cents. I guess it's subjective.

I guess we'll never know if the Turtles would have survived without the 1987 cartoon. Maybe the movie from 1990 would have done for Turtles what the 2008 Iron Man film did for the Iron Man character. The world will never know...

I like them all. I just prefer some shows...or movies more than others. I still have the figures from the 2003 show :lol The Casey Jones figure from the 2003 line is still the best Jones figure so far, imo. The removable mask was cool. Those figures actually got me into buying/collecting figures... again.

ILM did a great job on this and GOTG. :) Hopefully they'll get a bigger budget for the second one.

I don't see how a bigger budget could improve the sequel, in fact, saving money could improve it, just fire Fox and Arnett :lol

Well to be honest, even if the sequel sucks too, if the turtles remain that good, I'll probably go and watch it anyway, so I guess Bay has me grabbed by the balls.

Nostalgia critic is disappoint.

250px-nostalgia_critic1.jpg

Yeah, that's not a great voice either. He sounds like he did in Seinfeld (tv show) :lol Knoxville's voice didn't bother me at all. I missed Raphael's NY accent from the 1990 film though :monkey2 The only voice that didn't work for me was Splinter. I also didn't like his face.

I like them all. I just prefer some shows...or movies more than others. I still have the figures from the 2003 show :lol The Casey Jones figure from the 2003 line is still the best Jones figure so far, imo. The removable mask was cool. Those figures actually got me into buying/collecting figures... again.

Playmates really stepped it up for the new show. The figures have been great. I do not like how they look on the show but the toys, especially the ones were their eyes are all white, are great. I am tempted by the Figma versions but I need more than just the Turtles. If only Neca went ahead and made Shredder and the Foot ninja.

Playmates really stepped it up for the new show. The figures have been great. I do not like how they look on the show but the toys, especially the ones were their eyes are all white, are great. I am tempted by the Figma versions but I need more than just the Turtles. If only Neca went ahead and made Shredder and the Foot ninja.

Figman? Do you mean the Revoltech figures? I'm thinking about getting those, but $60 for each figure is too much, imo. Have you seen the playmates 1990 movie classic figures?

My mistake. They still make Revoltech? I have seen the movie classic figures and will not be getting them. They are not on the level of figures I expect for a collector line. Maybe Neca will make another set.

so this is the bra tv spot everyone was freaking out about? i dont see what the big deal is

Dude's not wrong. (TONS O' SPOILERS)

Great review, I didn't know that guy, I agreed with him completely, I love his energy and he's quite fun to watch.

He summarized the movie in a single sentence perfectly:

"Good turtles in a bad movie".

so this is the bra tv spot everyone was freaking out about? i dont see what the big deal is

[video=youtube;ykHU4HUYbRs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykHU4HUYbRs[video]

Eh it was funny.

Back