Media Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain & Ground Zeroes

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just Read that The Phantom Pain Reviews will be up on the 23rd of August ..

Its not often i buy game magazines anymore, but on special occasions (and for special games such as this) i like to buy and keep so i can look back in a few years time.

Its not often i buy game magazines anymore, but on special occasions (and for special games such as this) i like to buy and keep so i can look back in a few years time.
Still got my Nintendo powers and it's a blast to reread them. Got afew game pros somewhere.

Can't wait to read sum early reviews on mgs tpp

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk

Still got my Nintendo powers and it's a blast to reread them. Got afew game pros somewhere.

Can't wait to read sum early reviews on mgs tpp

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk

I'm expecting some 10s. Reviewers go nutty for that open world stuff

First review. from Jeuxvideo: 17/20

8XguHmZ.png

Gameplay/ 4 out 5:The Metal Gear game with the best gameplay, and with the most possibilities even though some aren't that useful.

Graphics/ 4 out 5:Game looks clean. Although, it clearly shows its crossgen roots. Not the best looking game.

Sound/ 4 out 5: A lot of tracks from the 80s and a nice sound ambiance.

Length/ 4 out 5: A long playthrough (more than 40 hours) but one that can be tedious at times.

A rich gameplay but also some tedious missions, a plot which promises so much and delivers so few, MGSV is as impressive as it leaves you unsatisfied. A good game, but one difficult to understand. Could it be Kojima's last mystery ?

Last edited:
First Arkham Knight, now MGSV? Nooooooooo!

:lol hopefully this is the worst review to come out.

First review. from Jeuxvideo: 17/20

8XguHmZ.png

Gameplay/ 4 out 5:The Metal Gear game with the best gameplay, and with the most possibilities even though some aren't that useful.

Graphics/ 4 out 5:Game looks clean. Although, it clearly shows its crossgen roots. Not the best looking game.

Sound/ 4 out 5: A lot of tracks from the 80s and a nice sound ambiance.

Length/ 4 out 5: A long playthrough (more than 40 hours) but one that can be tedious at times.

A rich gameplay but also some tedious missions, a plot which promises so much and delivers so few, MGSV is as impressive as it leaves you unsatisfied. A good game, but one difficult to understand. Could it be Kojima's last mystery ?

Crap. I was really hoping the story would be a pleasant surprise, contrary to what I've been complaining about. No MGS has ever had any complaints about the story at launch, most of the grievances comes later when people take a step back and analyses the themes and writing. Saying a MGS story "delivering so few" is just plain wrong. And worrying.

I mean, at least make it "so bad, that it's good" kinda story!

Extended summary from Jeuxvideo Review:

Summary:

-From his Intro, he sound like he played all the mgs.
-He consider TPP less "crazy" than the previous "or cryptic and elitist"
-He then say for the first hours he was completely into it. That it's rich and polished.
-But then he started to have feeling of weariness and repetition. He say it's linked to: the way this game is, the open world not really mastered and a "diluted" narrative.
-While you don't need to go to mother base, you absolutely need to take time to manage it.
-Non lethal weapons take a lot of time to unlock while lethal one come much faster but are useless (because you absolutely need to improve your base)
-You can get "stuck" in the main story because in multiple case you need to unlock a specific gadget. This can cause some annoying "leveling". He say in PW it wasn't a big issue but here repeating a mission take much longer because of the map size.
-The PW mission system in an open world isn't that good: It make missions much longer, and the map size is "underexploited" with just some plants and animals to fulton here and there.
-The game revolve around camps infiltration, it lack of variety. But of course you can vary your approach. He say Witcher 3 and Arkham Knight have more type of activities. He acknowledge MGS isn't supposed to be a jack of all trades but...
-but that MG game are built around their stories. And here after a magnificent start cut-scenes get sparse and the storyline is shady until the end. Even with the whole puzzle he had trouble getting what this was all about.
-He say maybe there is a true end to unlock that could explain stuff to hardcore fans. And that the storyline still progress after the end.
-You can unlock harder variations of existing missions with specifics challenges (no weapon, no alarm,...)
-He say that the game was "fascinating" (©Spock). Even with "only" infiltration it's fun, especially if you like to experiment and are curious.
-Gameplay time was: 55% of infiltration, 15% of rage against himself or the difficulty, 5% of cut-scenes and 25% of Mother Base menus.
-After 2h he finished the prologue, after 20h he got a bit stuck because he didn't develop MB enough. He saw the end around the 45h mark and played at least 50H.
-You can't use every abilities of your sidekicks from the start (linked to their trust), they become more useful with time.
-Game is constructed in "episode" (1 per mission) and seem to be made to be played slowly. Which he think is why they worked more on the "infinite gameplay" than on the plot.
-He think maybe Koijma is trolling us with the plot and only some select few will unlock the answers. Or maybe he just couldn't make it the last.
-He imply the trailers spoiled too much interesting stuff

-GAMEPLAY (4/5): He said it has the best manoeuvrability in any MGS, with a lot of possibilities but implies some are dispensable (so hum, 4/5 because it's a lot to learn ? It's true this could be an issue for average players)
-GRAPHICS (4/5): Game is clean but he think it suffered a bit from having to be released on previous gen (on a personal note I think they had to make choices because the new gen hardware isn't decent enough to allow clean 60fps without sacrifices).
-SOUND (4/5): He basically liked it. And there is a lot of 80s tracks.
-LIFESPAN (4/5): >40h but he repeated he felt weary after some time
-CONCLUSION: Rich gameplay, repetitive missions, story that promise an lot but doesn't deliver much. Good game but difficult to figure out. "Kojima's last enigma ?"

All the dudebros will lap it up anyway

You only need to look at the MGS groups on FB to know it's already the greatest game ever to be made without even playing it or needing to :lol

MGS2 story received plenty of criticism when it was released, and that has the best story in the series in my opinion.

All the dudebros will lap it up anyway

You only need to look at the MGS groups on FB to know it's already the greatest game ever to be made without even playing it or needing to :lol

All of them probably started into the series with either MGS3 or PW... ****ing asses make me embarrassed to even be a fan of the series.

MGS2 story received plenty of criticism when it was released, and that has the best story in the series in my opinion.

MGS2 was the exact opposite, most people hate it, including myself (I remember kicking my innocent PS2) but those came from the fans. Most professional reviews at the time praised the story, it's just that fans weren't buying the praise.

Nowadays it's like fine wine. It ages gracefully. :lol

MGS2 was the exact opposite, most people hate it, including myself (I remember kicking my innocent PS2) but those came from the fans. Most professional reviews at the time praised the story, it's just that fans weren't buying the praise.

Nowadays it's like fine wine. It ages gracefully.
:lol

There's no way that anything he has done in the last few years will get that same respect.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain & Ground Zeroes

Everything from that review is as I expected

Good, but not a masterpiece and doesn't truly feel like a MGS game

I never trust critic reviews anymore...

MGS4

GameRankings 93.53%[70]
Metacritic 94/100[71]
Review scores
Publication Score
CVG 9.5/10[72]
Edge 8/10[73]
Eurogamer 8/10[74]
Famitsu 40/40[75]
Game Informer 10/10[78]
GamePro 5/5[76]
GamesMaster 97%[77]
GameSpot 10/10[79]
GameTrailers 9.3/10[80]
IGN (US) 10/10[81]
(UK) 9.9/10[82]
(AU) 9.5/10[83]
PSM3 9.5/10[84]
X-Play 5/5[85]

I never trust critic reviews anymore...

MGS4

GameRankings 93.53%[70]
Metacritic 94/100[71]
Review scores
Publication Score
CVG 9.5/10[72]
Edge 8/10[73]
Eurogamer 8/10[74]
Famitsu 40/40[75]
Game Informer 10/10[78]
GamePro 5/5[76]
GamesMaster 97%[77]
GameSpot 10/10[79]
GameTrailers 9.3/10[80]
IGN (US) 10/10[81]
(UK) 9.9/10[82]
(AU) 9.5/10[83]
PSM3 9.5/10[84]
X-Play 5/5[85]

It's probably due to the hype and technological innovations the game had at the time. Remember, it was truly remarkable at launch, People never thought games could look that good. Heck, everyone was so mesmerized by the visuals, even professional reviews noted that they didn't mind the cutscenes.

MGS4 didn't seem all that amazing to me at the time, and still isn't. Compare that to another game around its time, GTA IV. That game has aged all right, not greatly but I think it deserved most of the praise it got at its time. MGS4 just wasn't that great. It really disappointed me since I played every other game that year again, so it just fell flat. I also just do not get all the praise it got at the time...

It's probably due to the hype and technological innovations the game had at the time. Remember, it was truly remarkable at launch, People never thought games could look that good. Heck, everyone was so mesmerized by the visuals, even professional reviews noted that they didn't mind the cutscenes.

That's true, but as a fan... I didn't like it right from the get go... it's been almost 10 years since release and my opinion hasn't wavered at all.

I think I'm kinda glad I'm getting the cheapest option to play this game at launch, which is the bare-bones retail version. I'd rather not pay money to something I'm not sure I'll love.

This also marks the least I'm paying to play a MGS games Previously, I bought all the consoles just to play a newly released MGS game.

Back