Media Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain & Ground Zeroes

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
oh so...

33QvmRN.jpg

:lol

Seriously, McAvoy was the best, the feels...

now all I need is figures

FIGURES

Jennifer did a perfect job, I'd love to see her as lead character the next time (after Apocalypse)

Same here, I'm hoping we see some pop up this summer. HT would seriously be dropping the ball if they don't make a Fassneto, young Charles, Mystique, and another Wolverine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They could possibly make a future Wolverine and bundle him with a Sentinel statue, like the T-1000 was bundled in the DX13.

I'm just praying HT makes something!

Just what the hell has been happening to this series :slap

Hideo Kojima is hard at work at Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain, now mixing a new trailer for the game. Apparently this won’t be a fun one to watch.

Kojima explains the trailer won’t have any of the flashy stuff we love to see in game trailers. No explosions, gunfights, car chases, zombies, aliens or any of that. Just men descending into madness. If you can remember the roughness of the 2013 GDC trailer (showing Snake being operated on), this new trailer will apparently even be tougher.

Kojima has aspirations to handle controversial themes for The Phantom Pain, but I’m sure many of you who played Ground Zeroes wonders if he is capable of telling his story with the tone and sensitivity appropriate to these respective themes. Thus far, we know the game will involve international politics, child soldiers, rape. Again, it’s important to reiterate these are not light topics for a game to get into.

Kojima’s choice to show himself mixing it did make me wonder. What if this next trailer was pure audio? What would we expect to hear from this next trailer? Feel free to sound off on the comments below.

https://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/22193/article/kojima-promises-next-metal-gear-solid-5-the-phantom-pain-trailer-will-be-tough-to-watch/

I'm currently replaying MGS 2, and I appreciate the nuanced ways, how the game reminds that it never takes itself seriously - from the comic book style story-telling, the humorous codec conversations, Raiden slipping on pigeon poop, or Snake catching a cold, etc. It was unabashedly "Metal Gear" in every conceivable way, and regardless of what I felt about the schizophrenic ending, MGS 2 just felt right. It's so unlike Kojima's new, Breaking Bad MGS.

And by the way, the guy who wrote the top comment in that article has won the Internet:

I just died. You won the Internet, Mr. *****ed.

Kojima is a hack-writer still banking on the success of the very first 'Metal Gear' game on PlayStation. It just sounds to me like he is surrounded by goblin-like henchmen at Konami whispering in his ears that he can do wrong. Some go so far as calling him a God in the industry.

Yes, a God.

I believe former MGS1 translator Jeremy Blaustein said it best by previously stating that instead of [Kojima] hijacking his game and taking advantage of the thousands of people working on it, he should allow the story to be the vehicle of the game rather than make the game-play a vehicle for his over-expository nonsense. Kojima's fervent and imposing 1:1 translation on localizers is quite possibly the best example of a guy who believes his own hype.

No one has the veracity to challenge his preposterous ideas because of his influence in the company and with his ego now exponentially growing three times as big as my ballsack over the last decade, I can see why. If he doesn't want to be labelled as the "Metal Gear Guy," then why does he keep making these games? Death threats? Give me a break, man...

If it were not for its original English localization and Blaustein's co-direction (and I ain't referring to 'Twin Snakes'), MGS1 wouldn't have had as much praise or impact as it did back in 1998. It's now become a very bad and deeply perverted anime taking itself way too seriously (with 'Portable Ops' having the worst vomit-inducing storyline to date).

You might argue it's just Japanese humor/culture and that I don't "get it" but dude, when you read comments like "I don't think the world can handle MGSV" or "It might not make release because it's so taboo," that right there grinds my gears (no pun intended). Hell, the 'Yakuza' series and even games like 'God Hand' are considered way too out there for gamers but the difference between those games and MGS 2, 3, 4, and so forth, is that they aren't so far up their own ass trying to grasp at hypothetical straws.

It's sad but I used to be such a loyal fan defending this series until I realized how dumb the stories had become over the years. Bisexual vampires, talking arm, a guy who can control bees... Whatever.

But I digress, some fans eat that **** up. Unfortunately, I got tired of digesting it.

P.S. Oh, and if Kojima plans to release another demo for $40 to the public who might be oblivious to the fact that it's just a prologue to the actual game, it'd probably be best if there was a notice on the actual box art. Just saying.

End of rant. Time for my prostate.

Meh, I'll wait till I see the trailer, this "tone" discussion is beating a dead horse, I like it, the end.

And that comment seems like it was written by someone from these boards :lol nothing I haven't seen before, just another guy on the other side of the spectrum.

I'm actually more excited/relieved because Quiet was confirmed to be a female.

I don't understand why the guy doesn't just play something else then. He reminds me of the guys who rant how horrible something is after putting hundreds of hours into a game or watching the same movie 5 times. Why make everyone else miserable, if they enjoy it? Dude probably whines about the games and follows everything about them, buys merchandise for every game, and then rips everything involved. I don't even keep up with franchises I love. Give someone here the $60+ tax! You guys and your Hot Toys could use it!

Why can’t people just enjoy things? This is a game for god sake, made to entertain us.

Considering that Ground Zeroes had some of the most sick twisted crap I’ve ever seen in a game, I’ll Kojima the benefit of the doubt. I mean the prologue itself had one of the most disgusting scenes I ever witnessed in a video game, and every time I replay it I skip over that scene. The tapes were pretty hard to listen to also, I see no reason to think Kojima’s now overhyping this new trailer. I remember when most of us were worried Kojima didn’t have it in him to actually make a dark and serious Metal Gear game, now we want the lighthearted tone back?

People like that guy make Kojima remain relevant focusing on him, and not the game. The man makes really good games, not all of them are perfect, who cares?

I don't understand why the guy doesn't just play something else then. He reminds me of the guys who rant how horrible something is after putting hundreds of hours into a game or watching the same movie 5 times. Why make everyone else miserable, if they enjoy it? Dude probably whines about the games and follows everything about them, buys merchandise for every game, and then rips everything involved. I don't even keep up with franchises I love. Give someone here the $60+ tax! You guys and your Hot Toys could use it!

I feel exactly the same, I don’t understand those kind of “fans”.

The MGS3 ending is incredible! I've never cried watching something in my life, but that ending is incredible, and blows me away every time! I love MGS, but MGS2 and MGS3 are my all time favorite games, and I hope MGS5 beats them! I loved Ground Zeroes, and can't wait how they'll expand upon it gameplay-wise.

I bet some of them show genuine concern, others... others just... do that.

Really serious topics in videogames, someone had to do it eventually and Kojima wanted to be the first

The MGS3 ending is incredible! I've never cried watching something in my life, but that ending is incredible, and blows me away every time! I love MGS, but MGS2 and MGS3 are my all time favorite games, and I hope MGS5 beats them! I loved Ground Zeroes, and can't wait how they'll expand upon it gameplay-wise.

If the Boss shows up thats it, MGSV will be unbeatable. Honestly I don't want flashbacks, I want Big Boss to actually see her like in TDKR when Bruce sees R'as in the cell

Really serious topics in videogames, someone had to do it eventually and Kojima wanted to be the first

If the Boss shows up thats it, MGSV will be unbeatable. Honestly I don't want flashbacks, I want Big Boss to actually see her like in TDKR when Bruce sees R'as in the cell

I understand that, but articles like that seem
more concerned about Kojima's status in the industry than the actual game being good.

Seems like these days the internet has replaced therapy, why pay money to vent in person when you can do it online for free.

Last edited:

Well, themes like those have been around for a while, with games like Heavy Rain, TLOU, and even Mass Effect to some regard. Case in point: Kojima isn't the pioneer that he makes himself out to be :lol. It'd be fine if he experimented with these serious undertones in a new IP. But, whenever I read new articles about what he has in store for MGS V, it just corroborates what I've been saying all along, that the game is straying so far away from the course of the series, that its practically unidentifiable as a MGS game. I think GZ was evidenced enough of that.

Maybe that's her participation on this, that actually sounds great.

So, if she does show up, she's just going to be a figment of Big Boss's imagination? :lol I can't really say I like that. But, at least she won't be resurrected back to life in some crazy conspiracy with pre-MGS 2 nanomachines.

So, if she does show up, she's just going to be a figment of Big Boss's imagination? :lol I can't really say I like that. But, at least she won't be resurrected back to life in some crazy conspiracy with pre-MGS 2 nanomachines.

What else would she be? She's dead, of course she would be a figment of BB's imagination :lol what he idealized of her, for all intends and purposes, her most abstract image, I see nothing wrong with that, because there's no way her character can be damaged by that.

I think that sounds really neat too! Cool idea Henry! I want serious topics in games, and can't wait to see how he handles them. If it turns out to be a dud, at least it might inspire others down the road to do a better job with the issue, or just expose people to new ideas.

Back