Media Metal Gear Solid Discussion Thread (NO FIGURES /CUSTOMS JUST GAMES) SPOILERS

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Escape theme, is arguably the best in game theme of the series. It's epicness cannot be contained. I love when it's played during REX round 2, and of course the jeep chase.

:lecture

All MGS1 music is awesome

I especially like the MGS4 blast furnace music too, sounds just like the MGS1 version just slightly revamped

Yeah it's Rex's Lair redux. One of the few parts of MGS4 I truly enjoyed, since I remember sneaking through that section and realizing where the music was from.

The TTS version ain't bad either. Steve Henifin makes a better MGS composer than Banana Boy from MGSV.

Honestly TTS's OST is pretty good, I just wish it re-used some songs like Cavern or didn't omit music in some areas...Seriously, Cavern is what got me into this series's soundtrack. TTS's OST also gets some points for the boss tracks, like Gray Fox's.

And yes Ryan, Steve Henifin is a better composer than banana boy. :lol

Oh also, I haven't quite listened to the soundtrack from my MGR Collector's edition but I'm loving what I'm hearing in game. Great stuff, really catchy. The entire game itself is pretty awesome too, the demo simply didn't do it enough justice. I'm gonna post pics of it in the Collectibles thread.

Playing MGS4 for the trophies (despite getting the plat on my old account 2 years ago) and MY GOD the cutscenes just goes on and on!

Now hear me out guys, I've beaten MGS4 more than 70 times since launch, and for the first few years I was all over the game and was a huge fanboy. In retrospect, maybe I'm getting older, people's taste and the industry changes and I guess my tolerance for overly long exposition with little payoff is getting lower. Having a critical mindset of the game, I started to notice how how much Kojima wanted to make a blu ray HD spectacle more than a game. It looks fantastic and the sound is unmatched even by recent games but that's about the most praise I can say for MGS4.

Sure, there's a handful of stuff I love. I do like the idea of returning to Shadow Moses and the microwave tunnel was a powerful moment. It's just that someone should have stopped Kojima, the amount of unnecessary cutscenes in this game is beyond insane, and for the most part the script and editing are horrible. Now I really feel bad for my ex because I forced her to sit trough this game with me way back in 2008, poor girl must have been bored out of her mind. :slap

Frank, I know you're going trough MGS4 right now, do share your experience here. Hope you had a better time than I did! :duff

Oh you don't need to tell me about the cutscenes man... :lol

On this new account I've been through the game once recently and I did quite a lot of the trophies then, I THOUGHT I'd watched all the flashbacks on that first play through and got the flashbacks trophy out of the way, but it seems I missed some somewhere :slap

Now I have to sit through them ALL again, which is honestly painstaking after just watching them all like litterally a couple of weeks ago. To make matters worse, there's no way to be sure which flashbacks I've missed so it's a case of sitting through them all again... sigh

I thought I'd be able speed run the remaining play throughs - bar this one I'm going through now, as I'm going for the chicken emblem and the rest of the long winded trophies

By the time I get to the BBE run I may be out of MGS4 gas :lol

The Shadow Moses act is something special, albeit I wish they would have put human enemies there and not the unmanned machines

Last edited:
The Shadow Moses act is something special albeit I wish they have put human enemies there and now the unmanned machines
This partly ruined my experience with Shadow Moses, I have to admit. I liked it too, but having humans would have really made it something. I mean it was possible, considering we had one of the sexy boss ladies and some troops with her. I think it's sort of a missed opportunity, cause seeing humans interact with the unmanned machines in Shadow Moses would have been pretty neat. :dunno That said, I'm gonna have to replay MGS 4 at some point. Trophies and stuff...god help my soul. :lol I'm still not done with my MGS 2 second playthrough, and MGS 3 Extreme on my 3DS. I also need to start on MGS 1 Hard later, probably when I get a Vita.

Once I played MGS4 I seldom let the briefing sessions and the boring cutscenes run since I already know the info they expose, I just let the cool upbeat cutscenes run.

Cutscenes were ok and rather necessary the 1st times you play the game, but I think the only cutscenes I let run every time are MGS1's, because they're soo beautiful, and maybe PW since the art is also pretty.

But most of the cutscenes in the rest of the games I skip on replays.

@Frank, sorry to hear that you missed the flashbacks. There are some hidden ones such as when Raiden is run over by the ship that you need to get if I'm not mistaken.

Getting the plat for MGS4 isn't all that difficult except for the Bike Chase on BBE which requires a lot of luck, which I was stuck at all afternoon. As for the chicken run, it's best to leave your PS3 overnight to rack up that timer, which was what I did. All in all, I got the plat in less than a month back in August 2012 when the trophy patch first came out. It's much harder than MGS3 and PW, but nowhere near as difficult as MGS2 and Rising.

@FSLAR, having played MGS3 extensively on PS2, PS3, Vita and 3DS, I have to say the PS3 version blows all other ports out of the water with the Vita version trailing at a close second.

@Gaspar
, those briefing custcenes are a nightmare especially considering you have to pick up items, watch flashbacks and get the face camo all while listening to pointless exposition. I honestly think it should be made illegal for cutscenes to be as long as MGS4.

MGS4, while not without its merits, is the most dated MGS game of the series is considering it was trying to achieve so much yet was quickly outdone by other games last gen. It's a stale joke that was made at a time when Kojima probably didn't had the creative mojo in him as he did with the prior games.

I actually think MGS4 is still ahead of it's time and it's still on top spots on both narrative and gameplay, especially gameplay, for all the 3rd person games available even today, I think MGS4 is still unique and offers freedom that just a very few games can match, or possibly none.

Narrative-wise it may be on the edge of becoming a soliloquy and abuses from exposition, plus it's a very polarizing game among fans, but it still offers a lot of excitement and interesting story and characters.

Sure, narrative-wise it has been surpassed by the likes of The Last of Us, but what it lacks on story it makes up in gameplay, which IMO MGS4 beats TLOU on that department.

I could play MGS4 just for the gameplay alone.

It's a real shame there's no VR.

I actually think MGS4 is still ahead of it's time and it's still on top spots on both narrative and gameplay, especially gameplay, for all the 3rd person games available even today, I think MGS4 is still unique and offers freedom that just a very few games can match, or possibly none.

Narrative-wise it may be on the edge of becoming a soliloquy and abuses from exposition, plus it's a very polarizing game among fans, but it still offers a lot of excitement and interesting story and characters.

Sure, narrative-wise it has been surpassed by the likes of The Last of Us, but what it lacks on story it makes up in gameplay, which IMO MGS4 beats TLOU on that department.

I could play MGS4 just for the gameplay alone.

It's a real shame there's no VR.

Yeah the gameplay is sweet, it's just the cutscenes that I have major issues with, especially for that trophy. This pretty much sums it all up: :rotfl

Back