Metal Gear Solid collectibles

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is just me or does threea make some stupid stuff? I just don't get it. How they hell did they end up making Rex? It's the only cool thing they have and the only thing I would consider getting and am getting. I'm just lost at what kinda company they are...???

Is just me or does threea make some stupid stuff? I just don't get it. How they hell did they end up making Rex? It's the only cool thing they have and the only thing I would consider getting and am getting. I'm just lost at what kinda company they are...???

Most of it is based off Ashley Wood's World War Robot.

They got the license since Ash has done the awful artwork in the MGS Digital Graphic novel/comic book, and then Peace Walker with Yoji Shinkawa.

The MGS license is the only thing that drew me to the company, I have no interest in them otherwise. And after dropping almost 500$ bucks on it, I'd like to know if I'm even getting it this year. But it's felt like everytime you bring it up to their community it's always this shut up and just believe in god Ashley Wood attitude.

You're not kidding about that. My friend bought me a MGS comic he found years ago, it was illustrated by Ashley Wood. It was not good.

Those design toys are mostly soules crap. Nothing to identify, no story no character...only outlines.

Last edited:
Wow. There's some serious unbridled hate here for ThreeA. I don't collect ThreeA myself, but have seriously considered it many times, simply for the fact that Ashley Wood is an amazing artist, and it would be nice to have something tangible to represent his art. The subject matter might not interest you, but it is impossible to deny that Ashley's art is driven by passion, and the toys based on his art, a good value.

NO ONE does weathering better at the pricepoint ThreeA offers. This is not arguable. If a toy has better weathering, then it's an extremely low run, or one-off.

It's no coincidence that all this hate is spouting from metal gear fans. They're some of the most defensive fans of any franchise. You guys defend against even the most benign of criticisms with hostility, and then piss on other franchises because they apparentely pale in comparison.

Nothing with hate, little harsh to read thats all. I got me some little design toys a while ago, but as I wrote they mean nothin to me. So they are gone...all.

How could it be?

Wow. There's some serious unbridled hate here for ThreeA. I don't collect ThreeA myself, but have seriously considered it many times, simply for the fact that Ashley Wood is an amazing artist, and it would be nice to have something tangible to represent his art. The subject matter might not interest you, but it is impossible to deny that Ashley's art is driven by passion, and the toys based on his art, a good value.

NO ONE does weathering better at the pricepoint ThreeA offers. This is not arguable. If a toy has better weathering, then it's an extremely low run, or one-off.

It's no coincidence that all this hate is spouting from metal gear fans. They're some of the most defensive fans of any franchise. You guys defend against even the most benign of criticisms with hostility, and then piss on other franchises because they apparentely pale in comparison.

I call bs on that, since you're acting like someone hit your baby by criticizing ThreeA. Cool story bro :lol.

I call bs on that, since you're acting like someone hit your baby by criticizing ThreeA. Cool story bro :lol.

Why is it so hard to believe? You don't even like ThreeA, and you're going to be giving them 500 bucks for Rex :lol. I'm not a ThreeA fanboy by any means. Like I said before, I don't have any figures or artwork from the company, I just have a problem with people coming together, not for their love of Metal Gear in a Metal Gear thread, but to celebrate a common hate for a company they have little experience with, and doing this for 4+ thread pages. It's just so narcissistic, and not constructive in any way.
If you're hesitant that a company you hate is going to be offering you the most detailed and awe inspiring Rex figure in history, then don't buy it, or if you hate the figure itself for accuracy reasons, let ThreeA know. They're in it for profit, and if their customers are not happy, they'll want to hear about it, because it could cost them in the end if they do nothing. Make a petition or something, I don't know.

Why is it so hard to believe? You don't even like ThreeA, and you're going to be giving them 500 bucks for Rex :lol. I'm not a ThreeA fanboy by any means. Like I said before, I don't have any figures or artwork from the company, I just have a problem with people coming together, not for their love of Metal Gear in a Metal Gear thread, but to celebrate a common hate for a company they have little experience with, and doing this for 4+ thread pages. It's just so narcissistic, and not constructive in any way.
If you're hesitant that a company you hate is going to be offering you the most detailed and awe inspiring Rex figure in history, then don't buy it, or if you hate the figure itself for accuracy reasons, let ThreeA know. They're in it for profit, and if their customers are not happy, they'll want to hear about it, because it could cost them in the end if they do nothing. Make a petition or something, I don't know.

It's pretty evident that you take criticisms of ThreeA quite personally. I think I can speak for everyone in saying that we're "equal opportunity" offenders. When there's an issue with something, we'll discuss and debate regardless of the company, and obviously ThreeA isn't an exception. Perhaps the biggest problem with ThreeA, is that they're not open to criticism - unlike other companies like Hot Toys and Enterbay. The moderators on their forum are notorious for deleting and editing posts, and many of their fans will also jump at someone's throat if they ever dare to raise an issue - not unlike what you're doing right now.

Also, just to clarify: no one here has ever stated that they hate ThreeA. You jumped to that assumption all on your own. The discussion was very civil until you came here and started to throw insults. If you don't like the conversation - don't participate.

You're not kidding about that. My friend bought me a MGS comic he found years ago, it was illustrated by Ashley Wood. It was not good.

I have all of the MGS comics and the collection of Digital Graphic novels :lol. Ashley Wood certainly has his own art style, but it's not something that I appreciate on the same level as Yoji Shinkawa's. Not even close. Most of the time, Ashley Wood's illustrations don't even resemble the characters.

I have all of the MGS comics and the collection of Digital Graphic novels :lol. Ashley Wood certainly has his own art style, but it's not something that I appreciate on the same level as Yoji Shinkawa's. Not even close. Most of the time, Ashley Wood's illustrations don't even resemble the characters.

I was very disappointed by Wood's representation of MGS when I first saw the graphic novels. It just pales in comparison to Shinkawa, I think that's unanimous.

As much as I love Shinkawa's technique and style, I think it'd be better if Wood's art style wasn't actually trying to mimic Shinkawa in the graphic novels, but because it has that similar aesthetic, the design becomes neither here nor there. It sits in this weird limbo between his own style and Shinkawa's.

Snakecoverart.jpg

metal-gear-solid-digital-graphic-novel-20060922051152499.jpg

Last edited:
It's pretty evident that you take criticisms of ThreeA quite personally. I think I can speak for everyone in saying that we're "equal opportunity" offenders. When there's an issue with something, we'll discuss and debate regardless of the company, and obviously ThreeA isn't an exception. Perhaps the biggest problem with ThreeA, is that they're not open to criticism - unlike other companies like Hot Toys and Enterbay. The moderators on their forum are notorious for deleting and editing posts, and many of their fans will also jump at someone's throat if they ever dare to raise an issue - not unlike what you're doing right now.

Also, just to clarify: no one here has ever stated that they hate ThreeA. You jumped to that assumption all on your own. The discussion was very civil until you came here and started to throw insults. If you don't like the conversation - don't participate.

It was not my intention to insult anyone here. My apologies if I did. It's just that when I see words like "hipster diarrhea", "stupid stuff", and "awful artwork", it seems as though some people are critisizing subjective things objectively. Using words like these could hardly be considered "raising an issue".

Jumping in to give my 2 cents. I personally do not hate on 3A at all. While I dont collect any of their mainstream figures,I do find some of them very intriguing. For a company I had never even heard of until the MGS Rex announcement,I have given them the benefit of the doubt. I took a chance and dropped $500 in their lap and Ive never spent that much on any collectable before. What Im concerned about is the lack of info we are receiving from them on Rex. Delays are expected but 3A should be very clear on the product descriptions they put out. I found it to be shady that they didnt mention the lack of Rex' head articulation until months after everyones preorders. Now I myself would have purchased him regardless but there are many who see that as a total turnoff,understandable.

As for Ashley Wood Im not gonna bash the guy or kiss on his ass. He has produced something I have waited for for a looooooong time,and for that I am truly grateful. Rex looks fantastic. And until I get Rex in hand I cannot speak of the quality of 3A's products. I am expecting pure euphoria when I get him,but if he turs out to be subpar I will be on here talking **** on 3A.

I was very disappointed by Wood's representation of MGS when I first saw the graphic novels. It just pales in comparison to Shinkawa, I think that's unanimous.

As much as I love Shinkawa's technique and style, I think it'd be better if Wood's art style wasn't actually trying to mimic Shinkawa in the graphic novels, but because it has that similar aesthetic, the design becomes neither here nor there. It sits in this weird limbo between his own style and Shinkawa's.

I don't really see a lot of similarities between Wood and Shinkawa, to tell you the truth. Yoji Shinkawa is a master at using water-colors to create some very vivid art pieces. Ashley Wood has more of a scribbly-scratchy way of drawing that looks rather sloppy, unrefined, and highly inaccurate at first glance. But, his art does bring out the "emotion" of the scenes well in what he's trying to depict.

I like both of them, but Shinkawa's art is just legendary - he's a master.

I don't really see a lot of similarities between Wood and Shinkawa, to tell you the truth. Yoji Shinkawa is a master at using water-colors to create some very vivid art pieces. Ashley Wood has more of a scribbly-scratchy way of drawing that looks rather sloppy, unrefined, and highly inaccurate at first glance. But, his art does bring out the "emotion" of the scenes well in what he's trying to depict.

I like both of them, but Shinkawa's art is just legendary - he's a master.

This is very true, Shinkawa's designs are striking also because they are technically accurate with just the minimal strokes that he uses in every piece. You can see highlights and midtones and shadows clearly without having every single value painted in and the anatomical structure and proportions are perfect and on-model every time.

Woods seems to do this but you can see in the example I showed of his work (previous post), Snake's fingers look like bent sausages, while Shinkawa's has the detail to the knuckles by accentuating the structure underneath with single strokes. Woods takes liberties in proportion, and sometimes even exaggerates it, it works in some ways but not in all of his pieces.

If you measure the value scale between the two, Shinkawa's has few values while Woods has a lot more. Shinkawa uses less but can emphasize so much more information.

mgs2_1024.jpg

It was not my intention to insult anyone here. My apologies if I did. It's just that when I see words like "hipster diarrhea", "stupid stuff", and "awful artwork", it seems as though some people are critisizing subjective things objectively. Using words like these could hardly be considered "raising an issue".

Yeah, no hard feelings man :peace :1-1:.

Everyone's entitled to their own opinions whether, you, I, or anyone else likes it or not.

This is very true, Shinkawa's designs are striking also because they are technically accurate with just the minimal strokes that he uses in every piece. You can see highlights and midtones and shadows clearly without having every single value painted in and the anatomical structure and proportions are perfect and on-model every time.

Woods seems to do this but you can see in the example I showed of his work (previous post), Snake's fingers look like bent sausages, while Shinkawa's has the detail to the knuckles by accentuating the structure underneath with single strokes. Woods takes liberties in proportion, and sometimes even exaggerates it, it works in some ways but not in all of his pieces.

If you measure the value scale between the two, Shinkawa's has few values while Woods has a lot more. Shinkawa uses less but can emphasize so much more information.

mgs2_1024.jpg

Agreed. Here's a great live demonstration of Shinkawa's skills at the brush.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6VBXUikDt8

His sketches are also phenomenal :drool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gJQyVfKZJg&feature=related

Back