Metal Gear Solid collectibles

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that's just an old prototype when the first wave came out, so basically the reissues are gonna come out with taller bodies and maybe tan skin tone just like the cold war version.... me thinks :monkey1

Exactly. Medicom has made some significant changes to their RAH bodies over the years, and it's highly unlikely that they will go back to the old, obsolete bodies of the original RAH Snake figures. Except for the clothing, I believe that the new Snake figures will be very different from their original counterparts.

The box art is also something that's likely to be changed. I don't expect that the new box for Zombie Snake, will have a sticker saying: "Wonderfest 2005 exclusive".

Regardless of how limited the new figures are, I believe that the original Snake figures will remain as the "creme de la creme" of MGS Collectibles, and will stay on a league of their own.

They will look odd if taller as it will throw the smaller proportions out of whack.

Well, the RAH 301 bodies have been scaled up by proportion, so everything should be "okay" for the new figures, in terms of how they look.

Even though I gave a speculation on my previous post, we'll have a better understanding to the exact extent of changes for the Snake figures, once Cold War Snake gets released in Sept. of this year.

Regardless of how limited the new figures are, I believe that the original Snake figures will remain as the "creme de la creme" of MGS Collectibles, and will stay on a league of their own.

I don't. Who would pay the prices they go for when you can get essentially the same figure for half the price? You'd have to be an idiot to buy the old releases at those prices now that these are coming out. I don't think most people care about the fact that they are first releases or different packaging.

You guys saying that Medicom should give up the license need to think things through. MGS is NOT a lucrative license like Marvel or Star Wars. If hot toys really wanted the license im pretty sure they could get it even if Medicom still has it as well. So the real question you should be asking is, what is stopping Hot Toys from doing it?

And FYI Hot Toys has been doing this tactic for a very long time as well. Saying that something is "limited to 100 pieces as an asia con exclusive", and then a month later there is another "exclusive" run of the same figure for a different con. then a month after that, sideshow has an "exclusive" amount of the same figure, etc, etc.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I don't. Who would pay the prices they go for when you can get essentially the same figure for half the price? You'd have to be an idiot to buy the old releases at those prices now that these are coming out. I don't think most people care about the fact that they are first releases or different packaging.

Well, I wasn't talking about "most people". Sure, it's only human nature that most people will seek out the cheaper product, and purchase that instead. It's also true that most people aren't able to afford mint products that sell for $300 + (and more). Not that I blame them, as spending that amount of cash now a days, on a single figure, sounds insane.

But, true MGS collectors and completionists who can afford the cost, will prefer the originals. Personally, if I have enough for a mint original Zombie Snake before January, I'll be canceling my current pre-order. It's just based on your own personal preference, and how serious you are as an MGS collector.

That being said, I'm a pretty serious MGS collector. MGS and 24 are the only stuff that I collect. :rotfl

Edit: Also, like I said before, you won't be getting the "same figures" as the originals, but similar figures. Medicom has made changes over the years, and I expect those changes to be reflected on their re-issued stuff.

Last edited:
The old Tiger Stripe is about an inch shorter than standard 1/6 collectibles. However, I suspect that Medicom will update the bodies for the new Snake figures, to the 301 body (the same body that was used for RAH Old Snake and RAH Raiden). So, that being said, the new Tiger Stripe should be in scale with other figures.

I hope so. thanks

Edit: Also, like I said before, you won't be getting the "same figures" as the originals, but similar figures. Medicom has made changes over the years, and I expect those changes to be reflected on their re-issued stuff.

Ah ok so they aren't the same. We will be getting BETTER figures for less money. Well that just reinforced my point further. :lol

Ah ok so they aren't the same. We will be getting BETTER figures for less money. Well that just reinforced my point further. :lol

I can't argue with you there - the new figures are definitely going to be better in terms of quality. In fact, that was the point that I was stressing indirectly :lol. The old Tiger Stripe had so many joint issues: the hand sections were loose, the shoulders joints easily broke, the rubber suit left stains on the arms and neck areas, etc. Just horrible quality control on Medicom's part. In fact, I consider myself very fortunate to have a perfect figure when I bought mine.

So yeah, you will be getting better figures quality-wise. But, when you're talking about re-runs and their collectible value, that's a different story. If you don't give a darn about collecting original stuff like me, then good for you! Your wallet will thank you in the end, and you will be getting a better product.

A better alternative to breaking the bank on ebay for the original releases, but damn $180 is still not "cheap", as some people here have called it. I guess it's okay if you're buying it just to flip it on the bay in a year or so.

A better alternative to breaking the bank on ebay for the original releases, but damn $180 is still not "cheap", as some people here have called it. I guess it's okay if you're buying it just to flip it on the bay in a year or so.

Well, re-runs wouldn't be worth as much as the originals, so buying them just to resell on Ebay (I assume that's what you meant by "flipping it"), isn't going to be a very good investment. Of course, if a person doesn't intend to resell their stuff in the future, then that's another story. In that case, getting a re-run shouldn't matter to them.

But, you're definitely right dude, $180 isn't cheap at all.

Well, re-runs wouldn't be worth as much as the originals, so buying them just to resell on Ebay (I assume that's what you meant by "flipping it"), isn't going to be a very good investment. Of course, if a person doesn't intend to resell their stuff in the future, then that's another story. In that case, getting a re-run shouldn't matter to them.

But, you're definitely right dude, $180 isn't cheap at all.

Right, but is it confirmed that the rereleases will feature any changes from the originals or is what's been said here conjecture?

Anyway, I might pick one up to stand next to my Old Snake, but the price tag is a deterrence in so many ways, especially if I consider the extra $18 tax Sideshow will tack on for california buyers. That's $200 for a rerelease of a, what, 2 year old Medicom figure? I dunno.

Man it's nice to see these get a re-release but at the moment I'm concentrating on getting RE5 Wesker, Chris and Sheva and TDK DX Joker (though I may skip him if the price on the BR and V1 Jokers go down) so I'm probably gonna have to pass on these. I pray HT get the licence to MGS though. And if they do, I hope they make Grey Fox/Cyborg Ninja. Cant you just imagine what HT can do with this guy?

I wouldn't count on them updating the bodies. It's much easier to just do another run of the originals top to bottom than to make any adjustments.
Obviously this is all just speculation.

Right, but is it confirmed that the rereleases will feature any changes from the originals or is what's been said here conjecture?

Anyway, I might pick one up to stand next to my Old Snake, but the price tag is a deterrence in so many ways, especially if I consider the extra $18 tax Sideshow will tack on for california buyers. That's $200 for a rerelease of a, what, 2 year old Medicom figure? I dunno.

Well, the original Tiger Stripe is about six years old, and the Squares Camo (Zombie) Snake has been around for four years. However, Medicom bodies have changed since then. While it's conjecture on my part, it's only common sense that Medicom will update to their new body for the upcoming Snake figures.

But, I really feel sorry for you man, living in California must be tough as a collector when you factor in the taxes. Plus, it sucks that Sideshow charges sales tax to their California buyers.

I know it's not a collectible, but I'm looking for a copy of MGS3 Subsistence if anyone has one drop me a line. I've posted in the WTB section as well.

Well, you should specify if you're looking for the Subsistence Limited Edition, or the regular edition.

Back