Merry & Pippin 1/6?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haldir doesn't have to be in armor, though. He could be in his Galadrim gear, even though we didn't see him in it for that long.

So now that hobbits are representin' in the 1/6 line, do we REALLY need Merry and Pippin? What do you think?

Are you freak'n kidding me?!!!

Pippin and Merry are VITAL to this line and to Sideshow's credibility. Sideshow needs to give their fanbase what they have been asking for since the days of SS/Weta, and that's the FELLOWSHIP NINE. Get these done and we, their fan base, will have faith that Sideshow is in it for the long run.

Truth be told, until I see the Fellowship completed, I will still have doubt about this line's longevity. I'm one anxious LOTR 12" collector.*

*though a bit less, now that I've seen Frodo and Sam on the horizon... ;)

Since the Fellowship is composed of nine characters, I think Sideshow could go a long way to restoring some good will with collectors by following their current release schedule. I am thinking that it was a good move to release three members of the fellowship, then a secondary character. This showed me that Sideshow was committed to create a line with some depth. If they could release Frodo, Sam, and then Gandalf or Gimli, and then inserting another secondary character, hopefully a villian, kinda keeping with the same trend. This move would again show a move towards a complete fellowship while also illustrating how deep this line can be. After that, finish the fellowship with Merry and Pippin (in SHIRE gear) and releasing another character, maybe a female character. After that, they can move onto secondary characters, and I think people will be more prone to snap them up. They could even start recycling characters. I would love to get Aragorn and Legolas from Helm's Deep, Rohan Merry and Citadel Pippen, Sam and Frodo in Orc gear (or even distressed Mount Doom clothes) at some point, but this line needs a good starting block.

I am still to burned by Buffy and Angel to think of those lines as complete, and as much as I enjoy the secondary monsters, I would have kept buying those anyway, for a long, long time. A cool monster like the D'Hoffryn figure from Buffy didn't cover up that core of that line fell far short of complete.

Orcs, Uruks, Elves, Soldiers...this line needs army builders too!
and a cave troll....

Sorry to rant, but I love the LOTR line, and I hope that it continues for a long time, and I think a strong base with the Fellowship would go a long way to reconciling any hurt feelings from the SSW line. After all, I still collect SS, and sold my complete SSW collection to pursue the 1:6 and PF lines.

Well said FlyandFight and Seaward.

a GTG then Saruman (the 2 wizards would match up well like the two brothers of Gondor) then Gimli, Merry, and Pippin would fit the 3,1,3... model.

I'm astounded that anyone says SS should produce a generic footsoldier like Fountain guard or orc before core characters like Merry and Pippin. It's like saying they should make a Death Star Gunner or an Endor commando before Leia or Old Ben. :confused: If this line had the momentum of SW I wouldn't be worried that they'd make them eventually, but with over 250 days between 1:6 announcements and the SSW issue the LOTR Fellowship is in doubt in many minds. When this line ends I don't want to look on my shelf and see a bunch of no-name 3rd tier characters while Merry and Pippin are absent. Even if you don't like Merry and Pippin and have no intent of getting them, it's in the best interest and health of the entire line to complete the Fellowship asap.

Last edited:
It's like saying they should make a Death Star Gunner or an Endor commando before Leia or Old Ben.

For the record, I'd rather get a Gondorian soldier or Rohirrim any day over an Endor Commando or Death Star Gunner. But, the case can be made about the Star Wars fans getting a stormtrooper or clone trooper or sandtrooper. I'm sure they'd get that quicker than a Leia or Old Ben.

good point. I'd equate the stormtrooper to the ringwraith and could see how people would want them before merry and pippin. But I'm big fellowship fan and the monkey will cry if SS doesn't complete it. :monkey2

Since the Fellowship is composed of nine characters, I think Sideshow could go a long way to restoring some good will with collectors by following their current release schedule. I am thinking that it was a good move to release three members of the fellowship, then a secondary character. This showed me that Sideshow was committed to create a line with some depth. If they could release Frodo, Sam, and then Gandalf or Gimli, and then inserting another secondary character, hopefully a villian, kinda keeping with the same trend. This move would again show a move towards a complete fellowship while also illustrating how deep this line can be. After that, finish the fellowship with Merry and Pippin (in SHIRE gear) and releasing another character, maybe a female character. After that, they can move onto secondary characters, and I think people will be more prone to snap them up. They could even start recycling characters. I would love to get Aragorn and Legolas from Helm's Deep, Rohan Merry and Citadel Pippen, Sam and Frodo in Orc gear (or even distressed Mount Doom clothes) at some point, but this line needs a good starting block.

I am still to burned by Buffy and Angel to think of those lines as complete, and as much as I enjoy the secondary monsters, I would have kept buying those anyway, for a long, long time. A cool monster like the D'Hoffryn figure from Buffy didn't cover up that core of that line fell far short of complete.

Orcs, Uruks, Elves, Soldiers...this line needs army builders too!
and a cave troll....

Sorry to rant, but I love the LOTR line, and I hope that it continues for a long time, and I think a strong base with the Fellowship would go a long way to reconciling any hurt feelings from the SSW line. After all, I still collect SS, and sold my complete SSW collection to pursue the 1:6 and PF lines.

DITTO :clap :clap :clap

No!!! Merry and Pippin are must have for me.... Give me gimli then the two little ones and Gandalf! Then do what you will with the line!

I concur--we really, REALLY need the two of them quick. I say we get Gandalf next, then Saruman, then the little hobbits, and then finally Gimli. After that start churning them out as fast as you can!

After reading through the thread I suppose I'm in the minority in that I would prefer to see them later rather than sooner. Why ?

the reason given for stopping Buffy was "All the major characters are done". Whilst most fans disagreed, the remaining figures were not going to attract any new fans.

I think if the Fellowship was completed, it would be more likely than not that the whole line would end - it was only the hope of more core characters coming that kept the buffy line going and allowed them to produce more ancillary characters. The reality is that while aot of fans would like to see more than just the core fellowship - alot of collectors will only get those figures - meaning that once completed the LOTR following will undoubtedly drop off. Note also that almost all of the non-exclusive versions of LOTR 12" are still available direct from SSC.

Sideshow has committed to producing the whole fellowship - but no commitment other than that. hence my thoughts.

I concur--we really, REALLY need the two of them quick. I say we get Gandalf next, then Saruman, then the little hobbits, and then finally Gimli. After that start churning them out as fast as you can!

I could definitely live with that release order, but not if it takes more than two years to complete it. One figure (or two hobbits together) every three months would be a near-perfect schedule, and would complete the Fellowship in a year.

What say you, Sideshow? WHAT SAY YOU??

I'd put Gimli ahead of the other 2 Hobbits, but I definitely want to finish my Fellowship... I was hoping the Hobbits would be less expensive than the other LOTR 12" figures, but Sam and Frodo aren't... :(

Alright, I changed my mind - I want the fellowship completed now, or at least as soon as possible. Maybe, maybe one or two non-fellowship characters mixed in, but it would have to be someone major: Saruman, Nazgul or Tom Bombadil. (Just kidding about the Tom Bombadil thing)

Tom Bombadil, poor guy never gets in on the action.

Though Merry and Pippin ain't the more popular characters, I still want them made asap so that the fellowship gets to near completion. Now that they have made the hobbit bodies, it doesn't make sense to me to delay these 2 till late.

I hope they complete the fellowship sooner so at least collectors can complete having them rather than risking the possibility of any licensing issues coming up that just ended the line suddenly and then we would have wasted money (in the sense of not having the fellowship completed not in the sense of the individual's value) buying the others with merry n pippin missing.

I really like the Hobbits all the same... But as long as we get the fellowship done first I don't care about the order.

Not to repeat myself, but I just want to make this point clear to Sideshow. Once the fellowship is done in their costumes from the first film, I will be happy to buy variants, or the same characters in new costumes from the later films. I think a lot of people share this sentiment, but I want to make my commitment to this line clear, I am in for the whole enchilada!

Lots of folks still feel burned by Weta with the Fellowship not being done in Fellowship gear. To face facts the company linked to Weta and the the LOTR line is Sideshow. I think the Fellowship is important if we only have a few left I would rather see a complete fellowship than nothing at all. After all the Title of the First book as well as the first movie is "THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING". They have spent the $$$ on the body so why not put a Gimli, Merry and Pippin head on it I would also love to have a Bilbo. The only Character left to complete for Fellowship is Gandalf the Grey. If they do not complete the Fellowship then I fully expect a Fellowship diorama with them all crossing the hilltop. LOTR was Sideshows first big hit and I think it would be shame to see the Fellowship slip away yet again.

Just wanted to say, love your icon, Dargo rules.

Yeah, Merry and Pippen really don't have the mountain of gear that Sam carries. Really, just their packs, swords, and daggars. Though I will confess they have some very carefully tailored outfits. Still, I hope they are less, as was Legolas. It would be unfortunate if every little figure cost more just because of the new body. It's an unfortunate excuse.

Back