Merry & Pippin 1/6?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know SSC really isn't about alternative outfits - like Palpatine - if there's enough for a whole new outfit then it deserves a whole new figure. But I could see Merry and Pippin both coming with their warrior getups. Merry with the Rohan armor and Pip with the Gondorian as well as their hobbit clothes.

Yeah, Merry and Pippen really don't have the mountain of gear that Sam carries. Really, just their packs, swords, and daggars. Though I will confess they have some very carefully tailored outfits. Still, I hope they are less, as was Legolas. It would be unfortunate if every little figure cost more just because of the new body. It's an unfortunate excuse.

Honestly, I will be very surprised if Merry and Pippin end up priced at anything but $70, and I know they will come with less than Sam. Heck, Frodo comes with a fair bit less than Sam, yet he still carries the same price tag.

That's probably true. But if they came with all that extra stuff Dave, I'd be really scared. I don't even wanna know what the cost would be. All I want is their hobbit gear and elven gifts--that's it.

Honestly, I will be very surprised if Merry and Pippin end up priced at anything but $70, and I know they will come with less than Sam. Heck, Frodo comes with a fair bit less than Sam, yet he still carries the same price tag.

Heh! Inspired by that discussion in the FRODO & SAMWISE 1/6th
thread, I had EXACTLY the same thought RoboDad! Why pay $70, if you can pay $75? Please SSC!!!

Do you really believe what your typing AA? I mean come on. Be serious here. So some are willing to pay $70. That's not asking SS to raise the price. I don't get why the price of the 1:6th figures are such a big deal when we see little complaint about the PF prices.

I don't get why the price of the 1:6th figures are such a big deal when we see little complaint about the PF prices.

I can't speak for everyone, but for me, there are a couple of reasons.

First, there is the completist mentality. I am much more likely to be a completist in an affordable "basic" product line than a high-end "deluxe" line, such as the PFs. I am very choosy about which PFs I buy, specifically because of the high price tag, whereas I would love to be able to include every piece from the LOTR 1:6 scale line.

Second, the release rate of 1:6 scale figures is much, much higher than PFs (well, at least in the Star Wars universe). The faster the figures are released, the emptier my wallet becomes, and the more likely that I will not be able to be even close to a completist.

I understand the completist thing as well. I'm doing that in both the SW 1:6th and LOTR. Which is why my PF buying is very limited.

Not for $70 each...

I'm guessing this is in reference to me saying that I would be open to getting alternate costume versions of characters. Given the price, I can understand your reluctance to buy a duplicate character.

I am probably in the minority, but I would love to have Merry and Pippin in their soldier armor from Return of the King, much in the way some people (myself included) would also buy Bespin Luke, even though Jedi Luke kicks butt. I would just like to get those variants interspersed long down the line, and in small doses mixed in with lots of other characters in the universe.

I don't think anyone would NOT want to see them in their armor, but many of us don't want that at the expense of their traveling clothes. Once we have the traveling clothes versions, by all means, bring on the armored versions (or better yet, sell the armor as a separate add-on accessory).

I can't speak for everyone, but for me, there are a couple of reasons.

First, there is the completist mentality. I am much more likely to be a completist in an affordable "basic" product line than a high-end "deluxe" line, such as the PFs. I am very choosy about which PFs I buy, specifically because of the high price tag, whereas I would love to be able to include every piece from the LOTR 1:6 scale line.

Second, the release rate of 1:6 scale figures is much, much higher than PFs (well, at least in the Star Wars universe). The faster the figures are released, the emptier my wallet becomes, and the more likely that I will not be able to be even close to a completist.

Now, you just spoke for me there as well. Every point. On top of that I ONLY go for the exclusives. I MUST buy from SSC en direct. There is no "cheaper reseller" option for me. Add shipping costs and taxes to that, and you know why I react very "jumpy" when ever SSC raises their prises, and a thousand voices cheer: well done!!! You are the greatest!!! We will pay more if we must!!!

It is already obvious that we are willing to pay the prise. Let's not rub it in!!

I'm guessing this is in reference to me saying that I would be open to getting alternate costume versions of characters. Given the price, I can understand your reluctance to buy a duplicate character.

I am probably in the minority, but I would love to have Merry and Pippin in their soldier armor from Return of the King, much in the way some people (myself included) would also buy Bespin Luke, even though Jedi Luke kicks butt. I would just like to get those variants interspersed long down the line, and in small doses mixed in with lots of other characters in the universe.

No, my statement was in answer to the thread question in general.

I doubt I'd buy Merry and Pippin at all, let alone for $70.

And I can't imagine they'd include the armor for these guys... they didn't give Frodo or Sam their orc disguises. At least at this point SS seems to be sticking to the FOTR.

Merry and Pippin will probably come with bottles of wine and a big ham plate or something. Maybe some fireworks.

However, IF Merry AND Pippn came as a two-pack for $99.99, then I might consider adding them to my shelf.

I don't think anyone would NOT want to see them in their armor, but many of us don't want that at the expense of their traveling clothes. Once we have the traveling clothes versions, by all means, bring on the armored versions (or better yet, sell the armor as a separate add-on accessory).

Man I can definitely live WITHOUT the amour. Not interested at all.

Same with me. That would really cause me to second-guess my completionist attitude. First their hobbit garb, then some new characters please. No repeats for a long time please--not at the slow pace at which we're going.

Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking when I suggested that maybe they could sell the armor separately, rather than releasing a whole separate figure.

They have done that for some of their military figures, why not Merry and Pippin?

Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking when I suggested that maybe they could sell the armor separately, rather than releasing a whole separate figure.

They have done that for some of their military figures, why not Merry and Pippin?

I hope they go that route. It would make my life a lot easier.

I could deal with cheaper, less kitted-out versions of Merry and Pippin. They're good character and necessary... but not ones I'd be exstatic about paying $70 for.

Back