Merry & Pippin 1/6?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, it seems like the higher price point is really tough for a lot of people. I wasn't surprised to see a higher cost for the LOTR line after when it was initially offered, and I wasn't surprised to see the higher price point for Hobbits, given that it is a new body entirely.

Not that I am thrilled about it either, but I am very happy with the quality, so I'll keep collecting.

I had some concerns that PF frodo was overpriced, given that he is half the size of Lurtz back in the day, but somebody set me right in explaining that the costs are more to do with the complexity and variety of materials, not the sizes. Frodo is as complicated, if not more so when it comes to costume work, than Lurtz for the PF line, and it looks like Frodo and Sam's cosutmes have as many layers as Aragorn, a pricier figure to begin with, and now they have the new bodies too. Merry and Pippin would have equally layered costumes for their traveling gear I would guess.

I highly doubt that Merry & Pippin will be any less than $70.00. The price point has been set in regards to the hobbits and it can only go up from there. The justification for the price will be exactly the same as that for the Frodo & Sam figures, so why would it be any lower? I'm sure that Pip and Merry will come with quite a bit of little tidbits to help make the high price a bit more palatible.

By the way, I think Sideshow could sell quite a bit more Pippin and Merry figures by simply announcing a 1/6th scale Treebeard. I know that I would be seriously tempted in doubling up since I would love to display Pip & Merry carried by Treebeard and still have my Fellowship Nine separate. But then again, that would be $280.00 for the 4 figures alone and that in itself would make me balk at doubling up... :(

1/6 scale treebeard would be amazing! As much as I love my 1/6 scale Jabba, I would make even more room for oversized LOTR items, like a Cave Troll or Treebeard. The detail on Jabba holds up pretty well, being a hollow vinyl figure, and Treebeard would be great. I'd only worry about him wilting after a while, as he does seem somewhat top heavy.

Man, he'd be about 2-2 1/2 feet tall!

I am OK with Merry and Pippin being next. But I do believe that there should be another very quickly behind them. And I would like a very ornate character like a Citadel Guard. Or a Rohirrim Soldier (maybe a set of 3 like the Star Wars Endor Strike Team?).

I think someone else mentioned this in the Sam & Frodo thread (was it Irish?) that in comparison to a Medi Yoda or Wicket ($59.00 ea), $70 for the Hobbits doesn't seem out of bounds at all.

Both Merry and Pip will have the same type of multi-layered costumes and combined with the array of accessories both are sure to have, it should be worth the price. What about exclusives for them - Elvish daggers?

Im thinking that the best we can hope for here is the Fellowship.
I thought that SS said at some point last year that the complexity of the LOTR line made it very difficult to make new figures. I kind of took that to mean that this line was limited, to say the least.

Personally I think they should be done in their traveling clothes first and those only. They both deserve to be done in their armor but as a separate release just as much as we deserve a King Elessar or Sam and Frodo in their Orc armor. With as slow as this line is moving I think we should get a full fellowship first and then if they are revisited great, but the fact is SSC will want to make use of this new body type as much as possible so I'm not that worried about it.

I know that if they made an "expansion" pack with Sam and Frodo's Orc armor for example available later down the road it'd piss me off because then i'd have to go through eBay to nab another Sam and Frodo. If expansion packs are done they should offer them close to ordering for the figure so OCD collectors like me can nab additional figures if needed.

I know that if they made an "expansion" pack with Sam and Frodo's Orc armor for example available later down the road it'd piss me off because then i'd have to go through eBay to nab another Sam and Frodo. If expansion packs are done they should offer them close to ordering for the figure so OCD collectors like me can nab additional figures if needed.

OCD all the way. I'd much rather have a unique figure than an alternate costume to "dress up my dollies in." Switching stuff back and forth also increases the likelihood that something is going to break. I'd rather have separate figures way down the line!

I don't think anyone is saying the figures aren't worth the price in terms of quality, but to many they aren't worth the price in terms of personal reality.
I think if the price were lower they would sell more and the volume would make them the same profit, but ...
There are some great posing possibilities with Pippin on the Shadowfax with Gandalf the White. Ideally Merry in his Rohirrim armor with Dernhelm/Eowyn.
If they had filmed the scouring of the Shire their armor would be much more vital.

Please don't poop on poor Merry and Pippin. No company has produced Merry and Pippin in 1:6 scale. If Sideshow doesn't make them there will be little chance of ever assembling a complete Fellowship display. I'm not crazy about the ToyBiz or DiD Gimli or Gandalf, but if the Sideshow line was stopped I could kitbash with those. There's nothing out there to make a Merry or Pippen. I'd have to learn how to expand the heads on 7" figures.

And besides, just think of all those happy LOST fans making custom Charlie figures...

By the way, I think Sideshow could sell quite a bit more Pippin and Merry figures by simply announcing a 1/6th scale Treebeard.(

That would be amazing. But it would be a Treebeard COSTUME. You could put it on, stick 1/6 scale Merry & Pippin in your hair, and walk around "Hrroooom"ing all day.

I hope SS does MANY 1/6 scale LOTR figures, but of the line stopped, I agree that it'd be a shame to NOT have the 9 members of the Fellowship on your shelf, or as SS's 1/6 scale LOTR legacy.

Merry & Pippin would be much easier now that the new Hobbit bodies are done, and the patterns for Hobbit-sized pants, shirts, waistcoats and such are available.

I hope we get them all. From Saruman and Merry & Pippin all the way down to Figwit. Every damn one.

Whee, toys!

-AH!

I'm with you dude. We got a ton of Jedi in a row; just give us all the hobbits soon and get it over with. As long as we get the Nine it'll at least be a fair collection--but not good enough. I want them all!!! There are a ton of core characters that aren't in the Fellowship but are just as important--Saruman, Faramir (whom we have), Eowyn, the Nazgul--just because we get the whole Fellowship doesn't mean we have all the main characters. I want all the main players in addition to the Fellowship. But yeah, I really want them sooner than late.

That would be amazing. But it would be a Treebeard COSTUME. You could put it on, stick 1/6 scale Merry & Pippin in your hair, and walk around "Hrroooom"ing all day.

Not that I wouldn't welcome the chance to wear a Treebeard costume ;), but I don't think it would be that large. Everything I've read indicates that the movie version of Treebeard was intended to be somewhere between 14 and 18 feet tall. At 1:6 scale, that would be between 2 1/2 and 3 feet. That doesn't sound much larger (or more difficult to produce) than Jabba. Make it out of the same type of vinyl, with minimal articulation, and I bet it could be made for under $200.

Not that I wouldn't welcome the chance to wear a Treebeard costume ;), but I don't think it would be that large. Everything I've read indicates that the movie version of Treebeard was intended to be somewhere between 14 and 18 feet tall. At 1:6 scale, that would be between 2 1/2 and 3 feet. That doesn't sound much larger (or more difficult to produce) than Jabba. Make it out of the same type of vinyl, with minimal articulation, and I bet it could be made for under $200.

I agree. If you notice the scale of the hobbits to Treebeard, they were about 1/4th the size. Being that they are roughly 1/2 the size of a human adult male, that would put Treebeard roughly 12 feet in height, adding a couple of feet for that long branch that sticks up from the back of his head. I definitely can be done in 1/6th scale. Articulation would be realistically minimal. That would be amazing and the centerpiece for a LOTR collection as Jabba is (so far) for the Star Wars 12" line. :rock

3 feet?!? I'm just gonna head over to Lowe's or Home Dept and buy a ficas plant for $40 at THAT size!

Just kidding. A 3-foot Treebeard would be stunningly amazing!

-AH!

I'm with you dude. We got a ton of Jedi in a row; just give us all the hobbits soon and get it over with. As long as we get the Nine it'll at least be a fair collection--but not good enough. I want them all!!! There are a ton of core characters that aren't in the Fellowship but are just as important--Saruman, Faramir (whom we have), Eowyn, the Nazgul--just because we get the whole Fellowship doesn't mean we have all the main characters. I want all the main players in addition to the Fellowship. But yeah, I really want them sooner than late.

Yeah....YEAH!! (grabs pitchfork and torch, starts a Frankenstein mob)

I mean, if we can't have ALL the great LOTR characters, I'd like for the 'incomplete' run of Sideshow 1/6 figures to at least be THE TEAM. If Playmates didn't do ALL the Simpsons, you'd want the family first and foremost, no?

Well, just one cat's opinion. Let's pray to the big pink pixie in the sky that we get all of them!

-AH!

Faramir is the beacon of hope for all of us. We know now that Sideshow doesn't intend to end with just the Fellowship; if so they would not have done him. I seriously doubt they would end with the Fellowship and Faramir. That's too random. I have great hope that we will see more. With any luck, we'll see them all!!!

I don't understand why people are so paranoid about SS not completing the Fellowship.. We only have Gimli, Gandalf (the Grey), and Merry and Pippen left... Thats one years worth of releases right there. :monkey1

Back