Medicom Indy and Dr. Jones - the polite thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As far as the quality, I have to disagree...I am more afraid of breaking my Sideshow figures than these guys. Your absolutely right, I wouldn't let my kids play with them, but they seem quite sturdy to me. I haven't had any problems with the arms, legs, or wrist pegs. In fact, the wrist pegs seem a lot sturdier and easier to swap out than on most of my Sideshow figures'.

Remember though, Sean Connery isn't a small or skinny man at all. That's where it doesn't work for me. The guy's a tank.

As for the RAH, the main problem is where all the force from the movement hinders on joints that are screwed to the figure in poorly chosen areas. All of the force needed for leg movement is taken by a post about 1/4" thick screwed through the buttcheek and into the front of the thigh.

769670568_42827b2845.jpg

With the arm, it's even thinner, and it's attached to a thin strip of plastic on the forward side of the shoulder socket. So all the continual force from moving it is absorbed by the weak post.

769678580_f126949447.jpg

When you add the lower quality plastic they use for the body, it's a nightmare and literally one of the most expensive yet also one of the most fragile 1:6 bodies on the market. Therein becoming less "toy" and more "high end collectible." :D

I've made up my mind. I'm sick and tired of waiting for Sideshow, plus I wants an indy which is in scale with my tweaked Dovchenko figure (it'll give me an excuse to remount the head from Dov onto a RAH body), so I'm going to get the medicom indy.
God knows when we'll get sideshows anyway!

You know, I've never once in my life woke up and felt sick or tired because a toy did not come out quick enough. And if I ever do, someone put a bullet through my head, please!

You know, I've never once in my life woke up and felt sick or tired because a toy did not come out quick enough. And if I ever do, someone put a bullet through my head, please!

Shouldn't make statements you have absolutely no intention of following through on! :lol

And P.S. to nervecenter0, Medi's Indy isn't to scale with the Dovchenko, so prepare to be disappointed or pick up a spare RAH body from ebaY and mount Dovchenko on it.

I'm not a big fan of Indy, so I never had any intentions of buying the Medi figures, but I did have the SST one on pre-order for the novelty of it. Looking at these pics, I must say the Medi figures don't look particularly good. Has anybody thought of ways to adapt the Medi head to a DML body? They're not as tall as the SST or HT bodies, but bulkier than the Medi. Could be an option.

I like this one a lot more after a few days with it. I was really expecting this one to be great after the prototype pictures came out, and at SDCC it still looked like it was going to be great. Once I saw the early photos from people I started to feel let down. Then I got it in my hands and was just turned off by the thin 301 body. I decided to give it another go last night and I came away liking it a lot more.

Granted it is not worth the $140 some odd dollars it costs. I picked up the Kane and Dallas at the same time and I have nothing but praise for those two. Cost aside though it doesn't feel as toyish as people have been saying. Once I messed with the hat a bit and posed some accessories it felt like a good collector grade figure. I certainly have my issues with it, but I do like this one, and I think it looks great with the Henry Jones.

The whip might be the biggest head scratcher for me. The color is very light and the curl from the coiling doesn't want to settle out without some work. Despite the large zipper teeth, the jacket looks great. The pants are good too. The shirt is a knock, but not enough to drop my opinion really.

I am really looking forward to comparing it with the Sideshow version. New body, high quality accessories and clothing. It will be very interesting to see.

Do you know, when I read that I just thought, 'Oh get over youreslf, its just an expression', but I guess some people don't have a sense of irony.

And I must have a 'small' Dovchenko, cos so far he's perfectly in scale with the rest of my Medicom figures. In fact I wish he were bigger, then I wouldn't be having to faff on enlarging the headsculpt to fit a Truetype!!

Last edited:
Do you know, when I read that I just thought, 'Oh get over youreslf, its just an expression', but I guess some people don't have a sense of irony.

Uh.........."irony?" That would'a made sense if the delayed figure were the flash, Speedy Gonzales or something along those lines (hurry up and wait - ironic), but...wtf?! :confused:

EDIT: Most of us have waited DECADES for this figure. Medicom's bombed like the meat turd it is, Hasbro's low-end offering was decent for the $20 but worth every penny, and now we're set to finally get one a hell of a lot better than any of us expected, and on a NEW SIDESHOW BODY at that! How exactly is it going to kill you to wait another month or so?! Seriously. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Thanks to Billy Ray and everyone who's been posting these great "in-hand" shots. While I totally understand that good pictures can be taken, they can NEVER really show how good (or bad) a figure really is quite like having it in front of you.

That said, Billy's thorough gallery of shots (here and at RS https://threads.rebelscum.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=3142138&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=93&fpart=1#3142138) really makes me more anxious to see what Sideshow's final result will be....and hoping it's better than this.

Henry Sr. looks pretty good, but that hat and the suitcase just scream "TOY!" and really take away from the figure's overall look. The tailoring looks pretty decent, but the one thing that looks "off" on both of them is how "soft" the sculpt looks. It just looks a little cheaper than a $150 figure should.

And Indy...wow. This one is a real miss to me. That whack hat, that limp whip, that crazy-huge zipper and...the outfit really makes him look TOO thin. Granted, we've seen figures from both companies that have had this issue, but it's really apparent with Medi's Indy. And DD is right...while providing this wealth of artifacts is cool, why no way to hold them? They just supposed to lie at as feet or something? Odd choice...

I'm not bashing Medi here or saying Sideshow's better, but there is nothing I've seen with either of these figures that would make me want to shell out $300...but to each their own.

I sure hope this long wait from Sideshow gives us an Indy figure that will blow us away....and any annoucements anytime soon for more, Sideshow?

Thanks to Billy Ray and everyone who's been posting these great "in-hand" shots. While I totally understand that good pictures can be taken, they can NEVER really show how good (or bad) a figure really is quite like having it in front of you.

That said, Billy's thorough gallery of shots (here and at RS https://threads.rebelscum.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=3142138&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=93&fpart=1#3142138) really makes me more anxious to see what Sideshow's final result will be....and hoping it's better than this.

Henry Sr. looks pretty good, but that hat and the suitcase just scream "TOY!" and really take away from the figure's overall look. The tailoring looks pretty decent, but the one thing that looks "off" on both of them is how "soft" the sculpt looks. It just looks a little cheaper than a $150 figure should.

And Indy...wow. This one is a real miss to me. That whack hat, that limp whip, that crazy-huge zipper and...the outfit really makes him look TOO thin. Granted, we've seen figures from both companies that have had this issue, but it's really apparent with Medi's Indy.

I agree. I got the Henry figure (no way I was springing for that Medicom Indy) and while it's a nice figure with a great sculpt I don't feel it's at all worth the money.

When it comes to detail and true high-end quality, Medicom just is not competing anymore. The only thing "high-end" about these things is the price. :monkey4

When it comes to detail and true high-end quality, Medicom just is not competing anymore. The only thing "high-end" about these things is the price. :monkey4

Well, to be fair, their clones are always spot on and Jango was actually decent. Even with that honking potato beak they sculpted in place of his nose. But then again, I picked him up with a GC so that made him even better. I passed on the Royal Guard because for all the detail they like to put into their figures, I didn't see any armor under the robe. At that price, I don't expect perfection, but at least some accuracy vs. cutting costs by ditching the armor. But Han actually looks good enough for me to consider. I'm just waiting to see a comparison height-wise.

With Indy, it looks like they realized their finished product was sub par and packed him with accessories in a hurry to compensate. That'd explain the whip and it's lack of paint. I just still can't believe that hat. It's the one characteristic that defines Indy in the silhouette. Rather than get it right, they approved that MEGO thing.

I have to say again, that these were a birthday gift from my mom. I completely agree about these being overpriced, but they are imported. Just about anything imported from Japan is going to cost more. I think the Toys McCoy Indy was originally overpriced as well.

I have a hard time spending over $100 for any 1/6 figure. Sideshow's current, higher, prices are even getting a little harder for me to swallow. I did pre-order Vader (I simply couldn't pass on him),but is was hard to do. Thankfully I am getting a big raise next year.

I also pre-ordered the Stormtrooper and, of course Indy.

Concerning the Medicom Indy's hat...I think it looks pretty damn good. It needs a little tweaking straight out of the box to get the right look, but I think they did a great job on it, especially considering it is removable. The original proto hat looked horrible, but the final product is great IMO.

But the Clone blasters weren't modified from Sterlings like the Stormtrooper ones were.

Besides, that just reinforces the main point which is that the Medicom 12" figures are now hideously overpriced compared to the rest of market. They're more expensive than other figures that are actually better and more detailed in quality. No way I want to shell out $150 for one of these and then have to spring even more to customize a blaster that should have come with it in the first place.

BTW, I canceled the Medicom Young Indy today as well as the Sweeny Todd. I think I am done with them completely now.

I received my Sr. this week. Overall I think he is pretty cool and I am very happy with the purchase. My only complaint is that the hat could have been better.

Two of these pics are some quick ones I took with my iPhone, but I thought they really captured the likeness. The other is the best Indy purchase I have ever made, the sweet Dark Artist Indy custom. I Crusaded him up since Sr. arrived. This is my first post with pics, so if they suck, please me gentle.

M-

But the Clone blasters weren't modified from Sterlings like the Stormtrooper ones were.

Besides, that just reinforces the main point which is that the Medicom 12" figures are now hideously overpriced compared to the rest of market. They're more expensive than other figures that are actually better and more detailed in quality. No way I want to shell out $150 for one of these and then have to spring even more to customize a blaster that should have come with it in the first place.

BTW, I canceled the Medicom Young Indy today as well as the Sweeny Todd. I think I am done with them completely now.

I am surprised that Medicom hasn't done anything to increase the quality/durability of the RAH. Especially considering the fact that even Sideshow has now finally redesigned their bodies.

Well, the fragility of their base body is one of a myriad of issues many of us have with Medicom these days. The biggest, of course, is that they're not at all worth what the pricepoint is now.

Back