Medicom Darth Maul

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As for Maul, much as I love the Sideshow figure, one shortcoming, that being the Maul super retentive picky nut that I am, that I hope Medi corrects is the robe hood. Sideshow's hood is fairly small compared to the film, which was actually a little let down considering they nailed it on the 1:1 bust, but Mauls hood should hang almost to the middl of his back in the rear, and Sideshow's doesn't, which again, is being retentive from someone who's downloaded, drawn and studied every piece of Maul imagery he can.

Last edited:
nash said:
I dont understand why youd think this mark?

Sideshow is Sideshow, and Meidcom is Medicom. It's not like they are sister companies or something like that where one product would affect the sales of the other.

Also, when have we seen a preview of a Medicom figure that ended up not being approved or sold? never.
Why would I think that way, its called logic. Its not really in anyones best interest to have the same figure released that close to each other. Being this is new ground no one knows what will happen. I can not think of any situation in the SW area where two things like this that close to each other and that close in release has happened.

Sideshow and Medicom are not sister companies but they do distribute each others products. Could that have adverse effects on that relationship, YES.

As far as the not being approved, I have no idea, I will take your word that its has never happened. But that is the past and well anything is possible.

I dunno Mark. I think the majority of Medi's clients look for something completely different than most Sideshow clients. I don't see how there would be too much competition between the two really.

Now i'm going to be able to pose maul any way i dream.:cool: **** we need more pics!!!!

This looks very cool, I wonder when we will get to see some nice product shots. Hopefully soon but knowing the way Medicom promotes it will be months before we see any. Also I have to wonder why when there is a maul to picture, why someone would frame an ewok center in the picture. Nothing against Ewoks of course but you'd think there would more focus on Maul...:confused: either way this one might be a must have. The possibilities of amazing poses using the RAH body are endless!

Seth Gecko said:
Now i'm going to be able to pose maul any way i dream.:cool: **** we need more pics!!!!

What I like about another Maul 1:6th coming out is that I can pick a whole nother pose 2 use. I can pull off anything I want with the SS one but I'm not one to repose my figures over and over.

mfoga said:
I can not think of any situation in the SW area where two things like this that close to each other and that close in release has happened.

Granted, there is a slight difference in scale, but, LFL approved Sideshow and GG to produce Jabba the Hutt and throne, and ya one's a statue and one's a "figure" though it's pretty much a statue with a few movable pieces, they're in essence the same thing and just about the same scale.

Medicom and Sideshow are also marketed to much different groups. Sideshow is affordable enough, even a young kid might have a parent that likes em enough to get them a single figure for $60, but at $130 for an imported figure, you're really narrowing down to the more die hard of collectors. Sideshow only distributes 1000 of them, and who knows what other disti's distribute, it's not as big a market as Sideshow caters too, but for LFL, it's another cash avenue, and plus, SSC Maul is probably 75% off the retail market, with only second hand eBay sails really kicking these days, and by the time a Medi comes, it'll be a year or more since Sideshow's release so they aren't that close to each other. Even Sideshow who has stated they don't want to repeat PF and 1/6 characters in the opposite line broke that with Maul. Maul is a collectibles character, he does well in collectible format and Medi Maul is sure to sell well, even with people keeping and loving their Sideshow Maul, like me and Josh for sure, we love Maul and are all about every great Maul item we can get, not better or worse, just more.

mfoga said:
Why would I think that way, its called logic. Its not really in anyones best interest to have the same figure released that close to each other. Being this is new ground no one knows what will happen. I can not think of any situation in the SW area where two things like this that close to each other and that close in release has happened.

Sideshow and Medicom are not sister companies but they do distribute each others products. Could that have adverse effects on that relationship, YES.

As far as the not being approved, I have no idea, I will take your word that its has never happened. But that is the past and well anything is possible.

I think you are looking too far into things though bro. It's not like Sideshow has all the claim to the SW figure license. Medicom has the same license, so who's to say what restrictions or stipulations would come of that....if any at all?

LFL obviously allowed both companies to have the license so IMO they can both do as they please. If LFL was so concerned with SS or Medis best interest in terms of sales, then why would they issue both companies the same license?

Shai Hulud said:
ok..place your bet.....wich scuplt his gonna be the best.Medicom or Sideshow?And the ewok looks like he's made of fur...how come they can make it and Sideshow can't ????
yeah really, but yeah, Wicket is going to be mine.

612552441be657daf70ovg9.jpg

see the hair on that mask? I think a medicom chewy might be on the horizon.

snakebeater said:
612552441be657daf70ovg9.jpg

see the hair on that mask? I think a medicom chewy might be on the horizon.

hey good observation, i didnt even think of that.

Just cuz they have a real hair piece doesn't make Chewie on the horizon, at least not in a way that looks like Chewie. Chewbacca has very specific fur look that defines him, which is why I don't even like the customs I've seen cuz either that's not replicated or his body hasn't looked lanky enough. The trouble with Chewie is consistently producing thousands of a figure with the fur having the same result everytime. The SAW figure doesn't have a distinct hair look that has lend itself to production numbers like Chewbacca would.

Darth Maul is cool, but I'm a little Mauled=out at the moment. What with the PF and GG statue. I'm sure the Medi Maul will be killer for the Medi Price which can be a killer. I'll pass but I think it's cool to see the line contnue. I'm defintely down for an Ewok because the old Habro one makes me shudder!

One figure I'd love to see Medi do C-3PO. They handle "armored" characters extremely well and with the pistons and such I think it'd be a pretty awesome figure.

I remeber some time ago a man once posted a message "the medicom line is dead" :lol I can't remeber it word for word but it went something like that.

Xander said:
I'm defintely down for an Ewok because the old Habro one makes me shudder!

the first Hasbro 12'' ewok was kinda cute...I had one back then...:eek:

MaulFan said:
Just cuz they have a real hair piece doesn't make Chewie on the horizon, at least not in a way that looks like Chewie. Chewbacca has very specific fur look that defines him, which is why I don't even like the customs I've seen cuz either that's not replicated or his body hasn't looked lanky enough. The trouble with Chewie is consistently producing thousands of a figure with the fur having the same result everytime. The SAW figure doesn't have a distinct hair look that has lend itself to production numbers like Chewbacca would.

Yeah and putting hair on the head has been done before by other companies and looked just as good, now doing that on a entire body is whole different thing. I wouldn't look to far into a head with hair. The ewok would be a better sign but thats still a huge difference.

carbo-fation said:
Maybe I missed it, but where can I get a better picture of Medicom Maul? There's only one with his hood on and its very hard to tell how good he looks in it.

Yea, a cropped pic of a hooded figure that people are spouting is suddenly 10000 times better than Sideshows :lol

carbo-fation said:
Maybe I missed it, but where can I get a better picture of Medicom Maul? There's only one with his hood on and its very hard to tell how good he looks in it.
Whats odd is this seems to be the only one. I have not seem another, hell even Slave1.jp who has a few new Medicom things from this event doesnt have this.

Back