Marvel's Iron Fist: The Netflix Series

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I misread your post and deleted my response. I thought he was fine. Nothing special, but the "modern" Cage is a bit boring and generic in the comic, relative to what he was in the '70s and early '80s.

Yeah, I misread your post and deleted my response. I thought he was fine. Nothing special, but the "modern" Cage is a bit boring and generic in the comic, relative to what he was in the '70s and early '80s.
Well that's a real shame. To me Mack was channeling the spirit of Luke Cage in the finale of AoS last season.

I've only ever seen him in Game of Thrones, I wonder if he can do a good American accent and if not, I wonder if they'll keepbhisbenglish accent.

I've only ever seen him in Game of Thrones, I wonder if he can do a good American accent and if not, I wonder if they'll keepbhisbenglish accent.

I would say that either possibility is doubtful. Their track record on this has been pretty lousy.

Buck previously served as Executive Producer and showrunner of “Dexter” for the series’ final four years. He has also written for “Six Feet Under” and “Rome,” among other series.

I don't have much hope for this show now. Those final four years of Dexter were pretty bad. Ruined what could have been an all time great TV series.

Nothing special, but the "modern" Cage is a bit boring and generic in the comic, relative to what he was in the '70s and early '80s.

:exactly:

Sweet Christmas, yeah!

Hero-For-Hire-V1-1-Page-2-678x1024.jpg

luke-cage-hero-for-hire-1-24.jpg

Power-Man-V1-17-Page-19-1024x496.jpg

Power-Man-Iron-Fist-V1-125-Page-26-Cropped.jpg

Power-Man-Iron-Fist-V1-81-Page-5-1024x753.jpg

The in-your-face raw black male threat of the 1970s blaxploitation era will likely never be seen again.

Everything's been softened, if not outright neutered.

At any rate, 70s-80s Cage seems like a caricature to most now . . . :ohbfrank:

623f80edb2968aa10369dea0e4859417.jpg

Well . . . maybe that's not a bad thing.
___

I liked his performance as Luke Cage in the first 3 episodes, but after that, when more acting was required, his performance just went down hill for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

623f80edb2968aa10369dea0e4859417.jpg

Well . . . maybe that's not a bad thing.
___
Well, it would be hard to make a blaxploitation-type character (which you rightly identify as the original Cage) work in the Netflix Marvel world. But it would certainly make him more interesting! Just like Iron Fist should show should be an extended kung fu movie, but we probably won't get that, either.

I liked his performance as Luke Cage in the first 3 episodes, but after that, when more acting was required, his performance just went down hill for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I agree. He's not bad, just a bit bland.

I hope he can be captivating enough for a full series. I'm surprised Jessica Jones hasn't been announced to be a big part of his series like he was for hers. Throw in Iron Fist too.

But it would certainly make him more interesting! Just like Iron Fist should show should be an extended kung fu movie, but we probably won't get that, either.

Agreed.

Cage & Rand should be a little outsized as characters . . . not so grounded.

Current 2016 versions:

PMIF2016002-Greene-20683.jpg

(I'm still a sucker for the 'ol chain belt & steel tiara.):dunno

__

With the new look, I think Dave Bautista would be perfect as Luke.

I'm glad he's Drax, but I feel he maybe could have been a better Luke.

Overall, in the end I do settle with the casting, so I'm just excited to see how this goes. I wish the Luke Cage came out in Spring like intended.

With the new look, I think Dave Bautista would be perfect as Luke.

I'm glad he's Drax, but I feel he maybe could have been a better Luke.

Well, considering Bautista is American/Phillipino/Greek, I don't see how he could've landed the role of Cage. Luke's an African-American, there's no wiggle room.

Well, considering Bautista is American/Phillipino/Greek, I don't see how he could've landed the role of Cage. Luke's an African-American, there's no wiggle room.
Ordinarily there would be wiggle room since the door has been opened for race reassignment in comics, but Cage is so self identified as a Black superhero from Harlem it just wouldn't be the same character.

Ordinarily there would be wiggle room since the door has been opened for race reassignment in comics, but Cage is so self identified as a Black superhero from Harlem it just wouldn't be the same character.

Nah, there's no wiggle room with characters such as Cage, Panther, Falcon, Blade, War Machine, etc, etc and there shouldn't be. They're black, end of story. Race-Bending them would be a major slap in the face of many fans, myself included. Making an African-American character mixed race when he's clearly not, would be a big strike, because you're essentially whitewashing him. It's bad enough the majority of protagonists are straight, white, American males. Race-bending the few that are not, is not something that I'd approve.

Back