Marvel Studios : X-Men '97 - 2023

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This show is so damn good. I never liked the original show very much but so far I would put this up with BTAS and Young Justice as some of the best serialized superhero animation shows I've seen.

This episode felt like something out of game of thrones. I suspect time travel shenanigans will rear their head but for the moment it feels like there are real stakes. When they showed those characters on the gurney I couldn't believe it.

This show is so damn good. I never liked the original show very much but so far I would put this up with BTAS and Young Justice as some of the best serialized superhero animation shows I've seen.

This episode felt like something out of game of thrones. I suspect time travel shenanigans will rear their head but for the moment it feels like there are real stakes. When they showed those characters on the gurney I couldn't believe it.
Even with the time travel shenanigans there can still be stakes if it’s done well. I’m along for the ride though.

Even with the time travel shenanigans there can still be stakes if it’s done well. I’m along for the ride though.
1712831178171.gif

The show really feels like anime now, and I mean that respectfully as when anime goes hard, they go hard. My problem as a fan of the MCU is how scared it is to rock the boat, to even let directors with their own vision take charge-- every movie, while entertaining, barely takes any risks as they really don't want to alienate the general public and everything has the same lighthearted feel. And lets not even start on Fox's run where they're too ashamed to make comic book movies and instead just rides on Hugh Jackman's stardom.

Think about it-- Just 5 episodes in and we already got a better Cyclops than 24 years of the FOX movies and more stakes and character dept than a good chunk of the MCU stuff.

The show really feels like anime now, and I mean that respectfully as when anime goes hard, they go hard. My problem as a fan of the MCU is how scared it is to rock the boat, to even let directors with their own vision take charge-- every movie, while entertaining, barely takes any risks as they really don't want to alienate the general public and everything has the same lighthearted feel. And lets not even start on Fox's run where they're too ashamed to make comic book movies and instead just rides on Hugh Jackman's stardom.

Think about it-- Just 5 episodes in and we already got a better Cyclops than 24 years of the FOX movies and more stakes and character dept than a good chunk of the MCU stuff.
Because this show is what you get with a passionate showrunner that actually gives a **** about the source material.

Otherwise you get She Hulk and Ralph Boner.

Because this show is what you get with a passionate showrunner that actually gives a **** about the source material.

There's also less risk with an animated tv series so they don't care as much about controlling it. Doing this as a live action movie would bring in so much scrutiny and bean counting to try and make sure it would make billions, it would be impossible to get anything done properly and it would end up being a movie-by-committee disaster. It was a miracle IW and Endgame actually ended up the way they were. The Russos must have had a lot of good faith from Feige.

Last edited:

Yup. The mcu became a conveyer belt of basic crap with no substance and they thought they could make money from it and we’d watch and smile. This right here has absolute passion and love behind it. It’s unreal

There's also less risk with an animated tv series so they don't care as much about controlling it. Doing this as a live action movie would bring in so much scrutiny and bean counting to try and make sure it would make billions, it would be impossible to get anything done properly and it would end up being a movie-by-committee disaster. It was a miracle IW and Endgame actually ended up the way they were. The Russos must have had a lot of good faith from Feige.
And that’s the problem with movies, tv and even video games now.

All of these things cost so much money to make that they’re afraid to take any risks and do something new or innovative.

And the problem is that their safe bets don’t even work anymore. Marvel have had quite a few movies flop in the box office now and both movies and tv shows be panned by viewers and critics alike.

Yup. The mcu became a conveyer belt of basic crap with no substance and they thought they could make money from it and we’d watch and smile. This right here has absolute passion and love behind it. It’s unreal
I agree. Even the What If? cartoons, while enjoyable, don't feel like they matter very much because they are all these alternate realities where the writers have a playground to do whatever they want, and can reset for the following episode. So, glorified "fan fiction." X-Men '97 feels meaningful.

Though, I could quibble with a few things. Cyclops' behavior during his news interview was really odd and out of character. To the earlier point that this show has treated him better than all the movies, I agree, but the way he flew off the handle took me out of the show for a minute because it was so out of left field and unlike him.

Also, some of the voices are a bit jarring because the voice actors are so old now. Rogue in particular, but also Wolverine and Storm. They are portraying characters who are getting romantic but then they sound like an old grandma or grandpa.

And that’s the problem with movies, tv and even video games now.

All of these things cost so much money to make that they’re afraid to take any risks and do something new or innovative.

And the problem is that their safe bets don’t even work anymore. Marvel have had quite a few movies flop in the box office now and both movies and tv shows be panned by viewers and critics alike.

Matt Damon was on First We Feast and he said because of streaming, they make way less money from DVD sales and so the vast majority of the money now comes from the theatrical release. Because of marketing costs and profit shares with the cinemas, a $25 million movie would need to make $100 million just to break even. They can't afford to take risks with the budgets they work with.

Someone pointed out this feels like anime which is funny cause xmen akways was an anime type of show and it’s favored in Japan and had an anime. So this show fits well into the anime angle. It takes it’s audience seriously and pushes the limits of animation and doesn’t treat it like it’s only for children

Honestly I’d prefer most superhero content to be animated. Large majority of my favourite superhero content is animated.

It's the only way to get true comic book accuracy without it looking like **** most of the time. Film always has to put a grounded, detailed take on it, otherwise you get Corman's Fantastic 4.

Last edited:
Honestly I’d prefer most superhero content to be animated. Large majority of my favourite superhero content is animated.
There is a kinda magic to seeing the characters come to life. I remember seeing Spider-Man for the first time on the poster and freaking out. I remember being blown away by the first ninja turtles movie.

And let’s not forget crying tears of joy seeing my boy sonic on the big screen. I mean the first design was years of sadness then the change brought me tears of joy

It's the only way to get true comic book accuracy without it looking like **** most of the time. Film always has to put a grounded, detailed take on it, otherwise you get Corman's Fantastic 4.
Especially since Marvel CGI has gone down hill completely.

I don’t think it wasn’t until Nolan and the dark knight movies that people all of a sudden wanted to go “grounded” after tdk it became repetitive and superhero films became less colorful

Back