Man of Steel (SPOILERS)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They don't have to be totally gone. But they need to SLOOOOOWWWWWW DOWNNNNNNN We have to do something else then just Superhero movies. I want something new. Or at least stop with the superhero flicks. Do some graphic novel stuff.

Well I personallly don't care at all about Thor, Captain America, Guardians, Antman, Black Panther, Flash, Wonder Woman, etc. And Iron Man is over. So all I will be looking forward to now is Spiderman and Superman, I can deal with 1 comic film every other year. And of course the rare odd man out type things like Kick-***. So yea pretty much 1 a year or less for me at this point, down bigtime from what it's been the past few.

We've exhausted every hero that'll make money. Soon we'll have Superboy or Wonderdog movies.

*shudders&

Characters like The Flash and Antman will never ever in the history of human beings be able to be remotely as good as a Batman or Superman stand alone movie. Aquaman? Good luck to the poor sob that has to write/direct that.

To wrap up Batman so prematurely was really a mistake for DC and they got straight up lucky with the Superman reboot being ok enough with people to get a sequel. I loved it but the critical reception and what it's making isn't overwhelming. If 10 years ago you told me Iron Man 3 would outsell a Superman movie I'd have asked "who?" and laughed.

Same goes with Marvel. I don't care remotely about Guardians or Antman or w/e. But people will still go crazy for Avengers sequels.

X-Mens in AVP territory and feels pretty used up and dead to me since they are now going right back to what its been for about 15 years.

Wolverines had like 6 tries at a good movie now, hopefully this one gets it right and then they just leave it alone.

It does feel like Comic films are dying out. Maybe not in quanity but certainly in quality. I think the studios will realise sooner then later, they will need to reboot Batman and Iron Man to stay in the game and how many people really want a new Iron Man origin etc already?

Fox I dunno what they will do if this new X-Men flops they are really ****ed. Because they can't try another reboot again, they just did that.

Honestly to me, it looks like Sony is poised to have the most success with Spiderman regardless of the hate they get here or what you think, it out-performed Man of Steel and they have another movie coming and 2 more planned. I think its a pretty great idea to announce a 4 movie plan like this, it doesn't set expectations for the 3rd film impossibly high because it's not trying to be the same typical wrap up the story forever thing. If they wait til that one to kill Gwen and leave it as an ESB cliffhanger, I think it has potential to be one of the best 3rd act movies ever.

Spider-Man is still one, if not the most popular character in the hero lore. It WILL make more money yes. That's a fact, and agree.

WB wants the same excitement/traction that caught on for TDK after BB, wonder if they will get it post MOS.

Zod/Ras were beaten.

Now comes Luthor/Joker in MOS2

What's with all the MoS hate? I've visited other forums and some ppl literally want this movie to bomb in the box office, even claiming it will only break even and WB pulling it from theaters cuz of the 65% drop, despite it hitting 400m worldwide in just 11 days. The divisive nature of MoS is really mind boggling...

What's with all the MoS hate? I've visited other forums and some ppl literally want this movie to bomb in the box office, even claiming it will only break even and WB pulling it from theaters cuz of the 65% drop, despite it hitting 400m worldwide in just 11 days. The divisive nature of MoS is really mind boggling...

I don't want it to bomb. I just thought it was a poor movie. It lacked too many things for me to enjoy it.

It's not that mind boggling.

Published June 23, 2013 by Devin Faraci
7 Things That Must Be In MAN OF STEEL 2

Superman is back for at least another movie or two, and Devin has a set of demands as to what needs to be in his next big screen outing.

Warner Bros greenlit a sequel to Man of Steel even before it opened, but the first week’s numbers show that was a wise decision; the movie is a hit. But it’s a hit that has divided some audiences, and now with the reboot out of the way screenwriter David Goyer, producer Chris Nolan and director Zack Snyder can move forward with all new things in Man of Steel 2.

What does a Man of Steel sequel need? What elements would make for a richer movie? Here are my seven demands for what needs to be in Man of Steel 2:

Metropolis As A Place
Sure, the entire finale of Man of Steel took place in Metropolis but a) most of it was destroyed and b) it was a generic city. I want to see a Metropolis as textured as the many screen versions of Gotham City. I want to see Suicide Slum, the dark side of the gleaming city. I want to see a high tech, almost science fictional city, the bright yin to Gotham’s yang. I want to have a sense of place when we see the city streets. Too many previous Superman movies treated Metropolis as just New York City, but it's a town that reflects the general hopefulness of Superman as a character. Bring that to the screen!

Newsboy Legion
Introduced into the Superman mythos in Superman’s Pal Jimmy Olsen*, the Newsboy Legion is a scrappy group of dead end kids - or little rascals, if you must - who live in Metropolis’ Suicide Slum, sling newspapers and get into occasional scrapes with the law but mean well. Man of Steel was desperately missing a man-on-the-street point of view, especially for a movie so obsessed with how Superman’s presence would impact the world. The Legion can be shorthand for that reaction, with each of the kids viewing Superman in their own way. They would also add some humanity and humor, needed in the semi-sterile and dour environment of Man of Steel.

Lex Luthor As A Businessman
We’ve never seen businessman Lex Luthor onscreen, despite John Byrne remolding the character as a tycoon way back in 1986. It’s time that we got a Lex who is a captain of industry and who seems to have the best interests of Metropolis - and the country - at heart. Let Lex rebuild Metropolis - perhaps using salvaged Kryptonian tech to make it more science fictiony, as it has been in great Superman stories of the past - and begin waging a campaign of doubt against Superman. But whatever happens, he cannot be the villain of Man of Steel 2. At least he can’t be the villain at the front; he can be revealed as the puppetmaster behind the scenes, setting the stage for his big plan in Man of Steel 3.

Maggie Sawyer and the SCU
Metropolis’ SCU is the Special Crimes Unit, and in a super-powered world they find themselves tasked with cases involving monsters, freaks, flying guys and aliens. Maggie Sawyer heads the SCU, and she’s a great character in her own regard - a tough, skilled gay woman who makes no bones about her orientation. In the comics SCU assists Superman with superpowered cases, and since Supes hopefully won’t be breaking the necks of all his enemies, they could come in handy in future adventures. They also help illustrate the ways society changes around the presence of Superman, a theme dropped in a big way at the end of Man of Steel.

Project Cadmus
This secret genetic research facility has a long history in Superman comics, and their attempts at cloning and genetic manipulation can easily create threats that are Superman level. In the comics they’ve tried to clone Superman before, so how about have them get a hold of Zod’s body and use his DNA to make all sorts of superfreaks? You’ll notice that many of the items on this list come down to the same thing: picking up the dropped thread of the question asking how Superman’s presence impacts the world. One way is that a superpowers arms race is created, and Cadmus would be one of the players in that. But a movie Cadmus should reflect the complicated nature of the comic book Cadmus - their experiments yield heroic characters like the DNAliens, but also the occasional problem and monster.

The DCU
The ‘Easter Eggs’ in Man of Steel suck. A LexCorp logo isn’t an Easter Egg, and having Wayne Enterprises on a satellite isn’t that exciting when we have had seven Batman movies in my lifetime. There was a weird theory that the female soldier at the end of the movie was Carol Ferris, but that’s pretty plainly not the case. What Man of Steel 2 needs is a heaping helping of the DC Universe, from name-dropping other cities to bringing in minor characters to even referencing the existence of other superheroes. Fans went ape**** over every little tidbit doled out in the Marvel movies, but Warner Bros seems all-but embarrassed to be stuck with a shared universe. Revel in it. Have someone make a phone call to Barry Allen in the Central City Police Department. Get into a fighter jet built by Ferris Aircraft. Have somebody recall the Justice Society. DC invented the shared universe, so Warner Bros should embrace it.

Superman as hero

supermanrooftop.jpg

Above is one of the best pages of any Superman comic ever, and it shows exactly what was missing from Man of Steel. Superman is a character of impeccable moral authority, imbued with a sense of empathy as mighty as any of his other powers. This is what sets Superman apart from other heroes, the way that his real interest isn’t slugging it out with baddies but being there to help, protect and guide the people of the Earth. I’ve heard the irritating defenses - “It’s his first day on the job!” - and there’s little that can be done to change how bad Superman performed in Man of Steel. But Man of Steel 2 MUST change that. If nothing else on this list comes to pass, this is what the movie needs to address and nail completely. The next time we see Superman on movie screens he must be confident, cognizant of his power and - most of all - dedicated to helping every single person he can, whether that be by saving them from an alien or giving them a hug at the moment they need it most. Superman isn’t one of us - he’s better than us. He’s the ideal towards which we strive. Let’s get striving, Man of Steel 2.

* They had originally appeared in Star-Spangled Comics in the 1940s.

Back