Man in the High Castle

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm almost finished with the season--think I have 2 more episodes. I've enjoyed it for the most part. It's definitely slow in places but there is enough going on with the plot that it keeps me watching. I agree about Frank--he needs to go.

Finally finished season 1 and I'm hooked!
Great series, the ending was brilliant. And I still want Frank to die as soon as possible.
I found it funny that halfway through the last episode I was actually rooting for Hitler...

Finally finished season 1 and I'm hooked!
Great series, the ending was brilliant. And I still want Frank to die as soon as possible.
I found it funny that halfway through the last episode I was actually rooting for Hitler...

That was such a terrible irony. It's a bit telling that there were far more evil forces at work in the show, compared to Hitler - who's the epitome of evil itself.

On another note, am I the only person who actually liked Frank as a character?! :horror

I watched one episode. I was pretty bored by it. I didn't feel like watching another right afterward despite having the time to do so. I'll give it a whirl in the future maybe. I don't like judging a show based off of one episode. But seeing other negative reviews here give me pause if I should bother continuing.

This thread seems to be very critical on it. Not sure why. The Amazon reviews and elsewhere have been fairly positive.

I guess it's just one of those shows that you either love, or hate. I happen to be in the former category, because I really like alternate-history storylines.

I got 4 episodes in and had to bail. I just found it rather boring. From what I'd read about the show, I was expecting something that looked more like Wolfenstein or Red Skull's Hydra labs. I'd always been interested in alt-history, and playing with concepts like Hitler being obsessed with occult artifacts. So, seeing the show, and having it look rather normal was not what I was expecting, nor wanting to watch.

The reveal at the end of the first episode was enough to keep me watching, but by the end of four, I felt like the woman, who seems like she is the main character, had no agency (if I'm using that term properly). Everyone else around here was making choices and guiding the story, but I felt like you could remove her from the story completely and it would progress exactly the same.

On top of that, the way the show is shot, the cinematography I suppose, makes it look like a Lifetime or Hallmark movie. The scenes just kind of have a muted color pallette with gold and brown tones, with kind of a hazy look to it, similar to how the first two Harry Potter movies look compared to the rest of the series. It's just not a visually appealing show.

"No sir, I didn't like it"

This thread seems to be very critical on it. Not sure why. The Amazon reviews and elsewhere have been fairly positive.

I guess it's just one of those shows that you either love, or hate. I happen to be in the former category, because I really like alternate-history storylines.

I think that up there answers your question.
This is more of a slow burn, not a flashy action spectacle with Nazi zombies, so it's probably not up everyone's alley.

I just finished watching the Season, and while I enjoyed it, I was hoping for even a superficial explanation of the Alternate History. My guess, having never read the book is that the Germans somehow managed to invent time travel(?).

I was actually hoping this would just be a self contained mini series, I'd hate to see them drag this out like so many other series do, or worse, get canceled and leave the viewer with no explanation.

I just finished watching the Season, and while I enjoyed it, I was hoping for even a superficial explanation of the Alternate History. My guess, having never read the book is that the Germans somehow managed to invent time travel(?).

I was actually hoping this would just be a self contained mini series, I'd hate to see them drag this out like so many other series do, or worse, get canceled and leave the viewer with no explanation.
Yeah, I love binge watching and was hopeful that this would be another satisfying experience, and it was not. Like you, I've never read the book, but it seems to me like they were desperately stretching this out to so they could get to another season.

It also seemed as if they were trying to incorporate the same television tropes we've seen time and time again like "guy who loves his family but does horrible things". And the dude's a Nazi. Not a former Nazi, but the kind that believes in what he did during war and continues to do. Every time his life was in danger I wanted him to die and yet they focused on him as much as anyone! Maybe even more.

Plus, almost everything that happened was telegraphed to the audience except the answers to "who is the man in high castle?" and "where do the films come from?". If at least one of those had been answered I would probably watch a few eps of season 2, but I'm going to skip it entirely.

It seems to me that the series/book deals with multiple universes.
I remember reading somewhere that some of the scenes shown in the "films" didn't correspond to "our" reality either. As for the focus on Obergruppenführer Smith, I do like that the villains are not one-dimensional, but rather credible human beings. I don't think it's simply a "trope", but rather a more realistic look at how a person who does terrible things can still have decent, human feelings for their beloved ones.

I'm looking forward to another season.

Well that's just it. He's completely one dimensional except that he has a family. In other flawed characters like Mackey, Soprano, and Sipowicz there's a sense that they don't always want to do the bag things that they do. I didn't see that at all in this prick.

I forgot to mention I like Frank. The only thing that annoyed me were his jealous outbursts. If he was really that upset how the heck is he calmed down in less than 30 seconds?

I watched the first season and it didn't really seem to go anywhere. The pacing was off and the show moved at a snail's pace. I don't care where the show goes from here. I already wasted 10 hours on this thing and am not going to throw more time away on it.

Good luck to those who continue on, I hope it finds it's footing.

Will watch though it will be after most of the esps are there to watch.

yeah this starts up again. Have to pace myself vs. binge em, I need something to fill sunday nites now that Westworld is off air...

Back