Major League Baseball General Discussion

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was at every playoff and WS game in 86.

My dad worked for Doubleday, so we were able to get tickets. Not box, or great seats - just some spare available seats. I distinctly remember parking near a bread factory like three miles away and walking to the games.

Oddly enough, I only vaguely remember the Buckner play. I remember the crowd going INSANE, but the play itself, not really. I had just turned six, so I think some foggy memories are forgivable.

It's going to be real tough if the Mets don't win the WS, because I haven't had many chances to see it. But at the same time, this is just so much fun, even if they don't win it all, I haven't had this much fun as a fan in a long time. Even in 2006, when they made it as far (further than they have so far, to be fair and not to jinx anything), it wasn't like this.

So please win it all, but if you don't, I'm still having a blast right now.

At least one of the pitchers showed up. :lol

:lol:lol. Unreal that they beat 3 of the best pitchers in the NL. Miracle Mets!!

I was at every playoff and WS game in 86.

My dad worked for Doubleday, so we were able to get tickets. Not box, or great seats - just some spare available seats. I distinctly remember parking near a bread factory like three miles away and walking to the games.

Oddly enough, I only vaguely remember the Buckner play. I remember the crowd going INSANE, but the play itself, not really. I had just turned six, so I think some foggy memories are forgivable.

It's going to be real tough if the Mets don't win the WS, because I haven't had many chances to see it. But at the same time, this is just so much fun, even if they don't win it all, I haven't had this much fun as a fan in a long time. Even in 2006, when they made it as far (further than they have so far, to be fair and not to jinx anything), it wasn't like this.

So please win it all, but if you don't, I'm still having a blast right now.

That's awesome that you got to be there. I was 10 at the time and watched every game from home.

Good memory though! If I had to guess, the bread factory was probably Taystee. Not exactly 3 miles from Shea but probably felt like that to a 6 year old.

I'm born & raised in Flushing so it doesn't get much more home team than the Mets. I do 10-20 games per year since 2006 and been to Shea a ton of times over the years since I was a kid.

It's really easy to be a Yankees fan and really hard to be a Mets fan :lol. There have been plenty years where they were just grueling to watch, which makes this year 10x sweeter. I honestly can't believe they made it this far and are accomplishing what they have thus far. Sure the great young pitching line-up was a big part of it, but the offense came collectively from a bunch of little guys. Throughout the season, every time it was someone new who did something to help scratch out a win. And none of these position guys are huge names or future hall of famers. On paper, if you compare this team to the 2006-2008 big name/big budget team, aside from the pitching they don't nearly stack up.

IMO this was a pretty unassuming roster to go this far, meanwhile the 2007/2008 roster who was poised to have this kind of success, did nothing but record historical collapses. Funny thing that baseball is

giphy.gif

Good memory though! If I had to guess, the bread factory was probably Taystee. Not exactly 3 miles from Shea but probably felt like that to a 6 year old.

That name definitely sounds right. I figured it probably wasn't that far, but yeah to a little kid everything is far. Plus, not parking in the actual parking lot was weird.

IMO this was a pretty unassuming roster to go this far, meanwhile the 2007/2008 roster who was poised to have this kind of success, did nothing but record historical collapses. Funny thing that baseball is

Exactly. This was meant to be the "let the pitchers develop, and in a year or so when we get get a few bats we'll be a playoff team" year.

The Flores night really galvanized the team, and the Cespedes trade gave the whole team a boost. The Cespedes situation was so odd. Because he obviously came over and started going nuts. But so did most of the rest of the team. They went from one of the worst to one of the best (the best? I forget) since the trade.

Yup, it's that underdog magic that helps teams like this get over the hurdles. The stars align perfectly and everything just starts going right. Uribe & Johnson sparked the beginning of the change. Then the Flores thing and some storybook magic to go with it. Then Conforto & Matz get brought up, and Wright comes back, and Cespedes comes through like Superman, and Colon, Grandy & Murph get back in their groove... and D'Arnaud... and Nieuwenhuis... and...

...next thing you know the entire complexion of the team has changed, and we're 9 games up and running away with it :rock. What a year

Where's the band-aid? :lol

Wow... down 3-0.... well... if the Cubs somehow comeback from this and win the World Series... greatest moment in sport history right there.

Not like that will happen. Congrats to the Mets, looks like you guys are on to a World Series. Proved me waaaaay wrong.

Wow... down 3-0.... well... if the Cubs somehow comeback from this and win the World Series... greatest moment in sport history right there.

Not like that will happen. Congrats to the Mets, looks like you guys are on to a World Series. Proved me waaaaay wrong.

Nah.....the Red Sox coming back down 3-0 to hated Yanks was better. One of sports biggest rivalries, the curse, down 3-0 with Rivera coming in to close out game 4 for a sweep.........and then the Sox winning in 7 and go on to win it all for the first time ever in 86 years? Best sports moment ever.

Nah.....the Red Sox coming back down 3-0 to hated Yanks was better. One of sports biggest rivalries, the curse, down 3-0 with Rivera coming in to close out game 4 for a sweep.........and then the Sox winning in 7 and go on to win it all for the first time ever in 86 years? Best sports moment ever.

I have to agree fully.:) Game 7 against the Yankees in '04 was such a strange feeling. The Red Sox never won the big game and here they were blowing the Yankees out. After how '03 ended I like most Sox fans had a real sense of trepidation until that final out was recorded. The WS was a bit of a blur. The Cardinals while a great team in '04 seemed like they were there to be window dressing for the Sox win.

In order to not be completely optimistic (Met fans aren't allowed to be), Duda and Cuddyer can both go fall into an abyss somewhere.

Yea Mets fans are way too jaded to not be at the edge of our seats, biting our nails over every little thing most other fans let roll off their backs. That's something Yankee fans just don't understand :lol

Duda... I don't love or hate. He's a decent enough player and I'm not sure there's a better available option at 1st right now (if there were I'd happily take it though). Cuddyer... another bad move IMO. I think his last 2 years of hitting over .330 was a fluke. He's never preformed that way in his career, there's no way he's going to become a born again hitting machine at 34 years old.

We really need some serious big names that preform. I'm disgusted to think what's going to happen to this line up after the post season. Some of the biggest reasons why their in the post season are free agents this year and it's hard to think that those cheap Wilpons bastards are going to resign many of them. Instead of keeping the good core we have now and going further by adding to that, they'll find some cheapo alternative plan. I hope they prove me wrong. Right now I'm just enjoying the hot run while it lasts.

And to let some of the disgruntle Mets fan leak out, I'll say that I've never been a huge David Wright fan. He's a very good player, but he's nothing incredible. I look at all the top 2 players on most other teams, these future Hall of Famers, and he's none of those guys. He's no Jeter or A-Rod, Ichiro, Cabrera, Harper, Pujols, Bautista, Cruz, Votto, etc. We need at least one guy like them who you can rely on to come up huge in big spots.

Agreed!

Yea Mets fans are way too jaded to not be at the edge of our seats, biting our nails over every little thing most other fans let roll off their backs. That's something Yankee fans just don't understand :lol

Duda... I don't love or hate. He's a decent enough player and I'm not sure there's a better available option at 1st right now (if there were I'd happily take it though). Cuddyer... another bad move IMO. I think his last 2 years of hitting over .330 was a fluke. He's never preformed that way in his career, there's no way he's going to become a born again hitting machine at 34 years old.

We really need some serious big names that preform. I'm disgusted to think what's going to happen to this line up after the post season. Some of the biggest reasons why their in the post season are free agents this year and it's hard to think that those cheap Wilpons bastards are going to resign many of them. Instead of keeping the good core we have now and going further by adding to that, they'll find some cheapo alternative plan. I hope they prove me wrong. Right now I'm just enjoying the hot run while it lasts.

And to let some of the disgruntle Mets fan leak out, I'll say that I've never been a huge David Wright fan. He's a very good player, but he's nothing incredible. I look at all the top 2 players on most other teams, these future Hall of Famers, and he's none of those guys. He's no Jeter or A-Rod, Ichiro, Cabrera, Harper, Pujols, Bautista, Cruz, Votto, etc. We need at least one guy like them who you can rely on to come up huge in big spots.

Agree on enjoying the hot run, never thought this team had a chance but now on the brink of a World Series appearance. Unbelievable

But disagree on Wright, he was that player but been injury plagued

Back