Major changes ahead for the Star Wars Universe *SPOILERS*

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr.FeelGood

Super Freak
Reaction score
According to Karen Traviss at least...

With the cancelation of her final writing effort for the Star Wars Universe (Imperial Commando 2), Karen has bought to light some rather upsetting news for Mando fans and Star Wars fans in general...because if they can do this, what else will be changed...

Full deatils in her "blog"

https://karentraviss.typepad.com/blog/2009/12/sooty-and-a-clean-sweep.html

Wow, that news really sucks. Her Commando novels are probably the best Star Wars novels I've read and I love them.

And I hate the continuity change. It makes no sense and sounds really dumb. Karen Traviss' depiction of Mandalorians is what made me want the Boba Fett PF exclusive when everyone else was pissing on it. I choose to ignore this new Clone Wars canon.

I haven't read 501st yet, so I hope she didn't leave anything hanging there, that would really suck. But it sounds like she knew this was coming while writing it and acted accordingly.

Don't want to read the whole thing, can we get a summary of the main points....????

I'm curious if it will clash with the canon of the cartoons or the Fate of the Jedi series (still ongoing)...?

Basically the cartoon is what is changing the canon. Mandalorians are now going to be a peaceful people that gave up war and fighting a long time ago and during the Clone Wars Mandalore is going to be a "post apocalyptic" waste land. I haven't read any Fate of the Jedi books yet, so I don't know what effect that has. I'm trying to wait patiently for the books to come out in paperback so I don't have to double buy them.

Jango will probably be an outcast and a rebel against Madalorian customs instead of following them. There's nothing in the movies (as far as I can remember) to contradict this continuity change.

Sadly from what i've been able to gather from a friends review of 501st, the story isnt completed. Which i'm gathering was Traviss' intention for the second novel to actually do. (tho it was hinted at in the last of the Legacy of the Force books)

I have no idea how LFL can let this massive alteration to pass through un-opposed, seeing as near a decades worth of books have actually depicted the Mandalorians as hard-as-nails warriors.

As for the Fate of the Jedi books, tho they are billed to be a 9 book series...if it goes against this new "canon" they may not complete them, which would be a shame as they are really good books...

Jango will probably be an outcast and a rebel against Madalorian customs instead of following them. There's nothing in the movies (as far as I can remember) to contradict this continuity change.

I was actually thinking about the Jango Fett Open Seasons story published by DH a few years ago. I really started to appreciate the character after reading that. If something like what you've stated comes to pass 28, then I might as well throw my copy in the trash since that story would now be exactly that. There were so many great Mando moments in that story too, Jaster's death and Jango's rise as Mando leader come to mind.

It won't be trash, it just won't be canon. But like I said, I just pick and choose what I consider canon. :lol

That really sucks if 501st is incomplete. I'm bumping it up to be next in the reading list.

It won't be trash, it just won't be canon. But like I said, I just pick and choose what I consider canon. :lol

That's the way to be. EU is only canon until the next contradiction comes along.
I never finished the Thrawn trilogy back in the day so I've recently started over with Heir to the Empire. There are comments about clones and the Clone Wars that make no sense now. It doesn't detract from the value of the book, IMO. I actually like the reminder of a time when we still had loads of mystery in the SW 'verse.
This definitely stinks for those of you that were looking forward to the continuation of that particular storyline. It's one thing to grin and bare it in retrospect; it's another to have your storyline obliterated just as it's getting started.

Yeah, I just read it for the story, so it doesn't bother me when there are contradictions. Personally I don't see any reason they can't continue with the Clone Wars version and the novel version. But from what I gathered Traviss about done with the Star Wars universe anyway so I guess the commando storyline was all but done anyhow. What bothers me most is that the new continuity just seems incredibly dumb. I have a feeling we're going to be thinking "Mandalorians used to be cool."

What's Lucas smoking, cause it must be some good ????? for him to screw up the Mando storyline like this. Hell, even Hasbro has gone along with the theory that Mandalorians were bad ass warriors by releasing such sets as the "Evolution Of The Fetts" set, the "Mandalorians And Omega Squad" set, and the "Mandalorians and Clone Troopers" set. With all these kids buying up Mando's, it's really going to screw with their perception when they are thrown this loop...

Yeah, I just read it for the story, so it doesn't bother me when there are contradictions. Personally I don't see any reason they can't continue with the Clone Wars version and the novel version. But from what I gathered Traviss about done with the Star Wars universe anyway so I guess the commando storyline was all but done anyhow. What bothers me most is that the new continuity just seems incredibly dumb. I have a feeling we're going to be thinking "Mandalorians used to be cool."

actually, from what i gather from her blog, Traviss was being told she COULDNT use any of the past history SHE had helped create in the next book...it HAD to be the "New" Canon only...which turned her story completely on its head and ruined 5 years of her hard work...thats LFL for you...

if they can change the canon that much, can we go back a decade and get Chewie back?

please?

thank you :chew

Ugghh. How LFL approve this? rather better still, how does George approve? if Mando's were "peaceful people" there would be no Jango. No Jango = no clones

All they've done is redefined the mandalorians as a culture. there are still likely going to be individuals, and sects within that culture that stray from the norm. Jango being an example.

Also, just because they Choose not to go on military conquests, does not mean they cannot have a martial heritage that puts all others to shame.

Shaolin monks are generally speaking pacifistic. For that matter MOST martial artists are people who learn for the joy of learning, not to be able to rip someone apart.

Even the jedi are technicly Pacifistic warriors.

A pacifist is simply one who seeks peaceful resolution to a problem, as opposed to a martial one. But even a pacifist can be pushed to take up arms when the need is great enough.

It is a significant change, but overal, I don't see how it affects it THAT much.

For fans of the Commando series this is a really big change because it completely negates the previous books that really delved into Mandalorian culture and society. Mandalorians are in no way pacifists.

actually, from what i gather from her blog, Traviss was being told she COULDNT use any of the past history SHE had helped create in the next book...it HAD to be the "New" Canon only...which turned her story completely on its head and ruined 5 years of her hard work...thats LFL for you...

if they can change the canon that much, can we go back a decade and get Chewie back?

please?

thank you :chew

I meant that the next book would have been her last one so its not like there was alot of stuff still to come that we're going to miss out on. Even just the one sucks though.

So let me get this straight, Mandalorians are supposedly a peaceful race? So what the hell is Boba Fett a.k.a "Mandalorian Commando/Bounty Hunter?" What about the other Mandalorian "Commandos?"

Back