Statue Magneto - Maquette

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After seeing the PO pics I think the Mags figure was much improved over the proto. Here's my issues with the piece. First, the base. I definitely liked the original base much more than the one we got. That crushed Sentinel head on the proto looked amazing. This new base with the liquid metal just looks weird to me. Second, I'm not a fan of the EX portrait. The face looks OK bit the hair just looks bad to me. It's just all over the place and looks floppy. Third, the cloth cape. Just not a fan and it cheapens the statue IMO. Lastly, the price. $750 is too much. This was changed from a PF to MAQ just so sideshow can gouge us for extra cash. In the end though, the price is what it is.

Overall, I do think this is a solid Magneto statue. If he was in his classic costume, I do think I'd bite the bullet and PO it because Mags is my favorite villain. However, since I own the original XM Mags, I don't need another modernized 1/4 Mags for my collection. All of my small issues with the piece, the price, and the fact that I already own the XM Mags means that I'll be passing on this MAQ. Congrats to all of you that are buying one. I'm sure it's nice to finally be adding a 1/4 Mags to your collection.

wait a sec

I noticed there was a closed fist switchout hand on the blog... but its not on the preorder page.

Does it still come with the closed fist switchout?

wait a sec

I noticed there was a closed fist switchout hand on the blog... but its not on the preorder page.

Does it still come with the closed fist switchout?

I didn't even notice.

Pics or link to the blog?

Overall Mag looks good from one angle, super. The ex head is not a must have. The cape cloth is definitely a no no, biggest drawback from this statue imo.

Overall Mag looks good from one angle, super. The ex head is not a must have. The cape cloth is definitely a no no, biggest drawback from this statue imo.

I agree about the cape. The cloth on all of these pieces have been turning my off lately. I'm just not into anymore. I don't think it's going to hold up well in years to come.

I agree about the cape. The cloth on all of these pieces have been turning my off lately. I'm just not into anymore. I don't think it's going to hold up well in years to come.

It looks like HT Batman cape... just don't work with statues. Looks super super cheap, like we can DIY make it ourselves.

You guys do realize in order to achieve the levitating look, the cape has to be cloth? I have the Batman PF and that sculpted cape is heavier than the figure! It would have been impossible to have Magneto off the ground with a heavy sculpted cape. That is why he is resin too - it’s lighter. I personally would rather have things made out of ‘cheaper’ materials if it means achieving a visual look. The point of a statue it to admire its visuals, not to be impressed how heavy it is. Not all statues can be Thanos and do both at the same time :lol

It looks like HT Batman cape... just don't work with statues. Looks super super cheap, like we can DIY make it ourselves.

Yeah, I think it works on some, but it's working less and less for me. :lol I get the allure of it, but it not translating well like I felt it used to. I think it's more or less just my change in tastes, but obviously, I'm not the only one who things that.

FYI: Not trying to **** on this piece. Looks great overall.

You guys do realize in order to achieve the levitating look, the cape has to be cloth? I have the Batman PF and that sculpted cape is heavier than the figure! It would have been impossible to have Magneto off the ground with a heavy sculpted cape. That is why he is resin too - it’s lighter. I personally would rather have things made out of ‘cheaper’ materials if it means achieving a visual look. The point of a statue it to admire its visuals, not to be impressed how heavy it is. Not all statues can be Thanos and do both at the same time :lol

To the degree of levitating that they have in the pics/concept, I agree.

BUT, look at the XM Magneto Now prototype or the latest Thor PF from a few years ago. They still could have gotten a 'flow-y' cape from resin/polystone and achieved a similar effect - but again, I understand that it wouldn't be to THAT degree.

The weight of cape doesn't bother me. It's the look of the cloth material on a piece that is otherwise all sculpt, costume and all.

I like the versatility of the cloth cape. At comic con the pose almost made it look like he was descending in triumph. In most of these pics, he looks like he is striding forward. You only get one display story with a sculpted cape. I can understand wanting consistency throughout the piece though. Plus I’d hate to see how much he would have cost with an all sculpted cape :lol

For what they wanted to achieve, I think they made the right choice. Otherwise he might have looked too much like the old comiquette with his cape serving as his primary base.

I like the versatility of the cloth cape. At comic con the pose almost made it look like he was descending in triumph. In most of these pics, he looks like he is striding forward. You only get one display story with a sculpted cape. I can understand wanting consistency throughout the piece though. Plus I’d hate to see how much he would have cost with an all sculpted cape :lol

I need to make it out to Comic Con one of these years. I'm so jealous of you all that go. :( You guys still do the meet-ups?

I totally get what you're saying though. Sure, I'd love it to be fully sculpted, but again, it's a give and take.

And agreed about that cost. I don't even want to think about what it would be. :lol

If it's sculpted, it has to be done right. I had the Batman and Superman PFs and I hated the capes. Doom gave me the freedom to do whatever I want to it's limitations and I had fun with it, got some nice poses, still playing around with it every now and then. I don't think the wires are as strong as Magneto's since I can't pose it too high with the weight of it, but it works. I don't mind either as long as it will look good in the final result, the only thing I disagree with in regards to having a pose-able cape is the cost of the statue. If you have a fabric cape, costs should be less to reflect that material difference. Other than that, I'm cool with it.

The new 52 Superman cape looks nice as does the XM Marvel Now Magneto.

You guys and your obsessions over EX stock sizes....lol. I mean whatever....it’s your life. Do what you do. But you’re not retiring off of these things.

Anyway it’s a cool statue, but I’ll pass. I have my eye on too many others now anyway.

If it's sculpted, it has to be done right. I had the Batman and Superman PFs and I hated the capes. Doom gave me the freedom to do whatever I want to it's limitations and I had fun with it, got some nice poses, still playing around with it every now and then. I don't think the wires are as strong as Magneto's since I can't pose it too high with the weight of it, but it works. I don't mind either as long as it will look good in the final result, the only thing I disagree with in regards to having a pose-able cape is the cost of the statue. If you have a fabric cape, costs should be less. Other than that, I'm cool with it.

The new 52 Superman cape looks nice.

Prime made that Supes cape look fan-****in-tasic. :lol

They really captured him nicely.

I forgot about the new Doom PF! I did like that cape, thus contradicting my previous argument. :lol

Haha, I like flapping in the wind poses. I almost got the Suicide Squad Batman because he came with a pose-able cape but I was analyzing it and where the wires were and ended up passing because it didn't look like you can get that flapping in the wind shot, only the "cape spread wide like a bat" that they showed in the photos. I'm thinking about getting a wired cape for the QS001 and DX12 to get similar poses to Doom.

Back