1/6 Luke Skywalker: Red Five X-Wing Pilot Sixth Scale Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Totally agree. Also there’s a weird thing with the mouth that kind of makes him look toothless. As soon as I added some teeth to the sculpt the likeness really clicked for me.

Digression: funnily enough I also have Jnix’s Indy, which somehow falls short despite being based on the Solo sculpt... and that has the toothless look too. I think it’s just characteristic of the way Jnix sculpts open mouths.

Yeah, something got lost in the translation to Jnix's Indy and ESB Han - it's the same sculpt as ANH but it just went awry somehow. The ANH Han is really an amazing piece but everything else Jnix has done has been a bit wonky - even the Ben - despite great things about them. Just goes to show how tough it is to nail these things, even with considerable talent.

Yeah, something got lost in the translation to Jnix's Indy and ESB Han - it's the same sculpt as ANH but it just went awry somehow. The ANH Han is really an amazing piece but everything else Jnix has done has been a bit wonky - even the Ben - despite great things about them. Just goes to show how tough it is to nail these things, even with considerable talent.

Yeah and Deckard too, his best work has been the ANH Solo, and the non-Star Wars stuff like Trinity, Michael Douglas, and Ra's al Ghul.

Yeah and Deckard too, his best work has been the ANH Solo, and the non-Star Wars stuff like Trinity, Michael Douglas, and Ra's al Ghul.

Sometimes it feels like the Star Wars franchise is cursed for accurate sculpts.

The HT Leia sculpts have been great, the Jnix ANH Han is excellent with the right paint, there have been or are a couple of projects for accurate Stormtrooper and Vader helmets that are either on the verge of distribution or have come out sporadically...and the rest of the OT seems to be in perpetual limbo...other franchises have their issues but Star Wars can be particularly frustrating. How many Lukes have we had by now? Don't get me started. :lol

can you post a better closeup pic of those teeth on Luke?? Sorry if you did it before. Many thanks!!! ;)

Here you go ... bear in mind this doesn’t really show the sculpt - or the paint - in its best light. ;)

I actually have two of these - this one was painted with his eyes slightly off centre (which I requested - I just really like the way it looks).

cb520750bd21d1e43fcee222997a7669.jpg

0f0b393e927b9140fed1d2c89281c495.jpg

Nicely done. I think the looking-off thing is what the sculpt needed to fix the wonky eyes, and the teeth is a very ANH Luke addition.:clap

Here you go ... bear in mind this doesn’t really show the sculpt - or the paint - in its best light. ;)

I actually have two of these - this one was painted with his eyes slightly off centre (which I requested - I just really like the way it looks).

cb520750bd21d1e43fcee222997a7669.jpg

0f0b393e927b9140fed1d2c89281c495.jpg
looks better. I also have a Jnix Han and Luke ANH sculpts. thanks, your Luke looks great

Enviado desde mi MI 5s mediante Tapatalk

Did a nice job merging the two, you’re getting good at giving 2nd life to these hair pieces. To me it still looks like an older Luke though.

Does the altered hair piece make ANH Luke look any better?

Did a nice job merging the two, you’re getting good at giving 2nd life to these hair pieces. To me it still looks like an older Luke though.

Does the altered hair piece make ANH Luke look any better?

Yeah, I considered making it a ROTJ Luke (I'll post a pic of it with the HT ROTJ hairpiece - I have an extra one, and it should now fit) because it looks a bit more ESB/ROTJ than more baby-face ANH Luke but from normal viewing distance that isn't really apparent. This SSC head's not at HT level obviously, but it really does have a decent amount of Hamill in there and at normal distance it does have an ANH feel (I'll try to take some wider angle pics instead of the close-up.)

The problem is, I really don't like any of the options for ANH farmboy Luke. The HT looks just okay, the JNIX is decent but has some really off-putting aspects, the old SSC heads are too big and without enough sculpt detail (and also require a $200 repaint.)

I actually didn't alter the ANH hairpiece at all - I just dremeled the head down. I'm always reluctant to customize stuff I may sell as a set later. This ESB Snowspeeder Luke head was kind of orphaned when I used the HT faces with SSC hair, so it was really just parts bin.

I have been having some fun with HT faces plus SSC hair, and SSC faces with HT hair. Mixed results for sure, especially on the dud SSC Hoth Luke head (I display it with hood up and forward, I just pulled the hood to show the combo,) but interesting:

r4VuP5J.jpg

32920667338_897d2c5411_k.jpg

JxC4I0c.jpg

PthowKI.jpg

Has anyone tried placing the HT ROTJ head on the Red Five figure with the helmet on? Really curious to see how that would look...

To me it'd be a bit of a waste because it seems quite a few heads can look pretty great within the helmet. That HT ROTJ head is a really nice (and ultra-realistically painted) Luke face that you wouldn't want to partly cover.

Even the stock Red Five head looks like a really strong ANH Luke within the helmet. There's something about the helmet surrounding the face as well as the visor over the eyes that seems to forgive a lot of issues with headsculpts.

The one thing you can't really do with the stock Red Five SSC head is display it with helmet on and visor up because the eyes on that sculpt are pretty bad. I just got a knockoff HT ANH Luke to place within the helmet - with visor up - and it looks really nice. The likeness on that sculpt is hurt a bit by the copper helmet hair but without that hairpiece it looks better (still far from a perfect MH though.)

To me it'd be a bit of a waste because it seems quite a few heads can look pretty great within the helmet. That HT ROTJ head is a really nice (and ultra-realistically painted) Luke face that you wouldn't want to partly cover.

Even the stock Red Five head really looks like a really strong ANH Luke within the helmet. There's something about the helmet surrounding the face as well as the visor over the eyes that seems to forgive a lot of issues with headsculpts.

The one thing you can't really do with the stock Red Five SSC head is display it with helmet on and visor up because the eyes on that sculpt are pretty bad. I just got a knockoff HT ANH Luke to place within the helmet - with visor up - and it looks really nice. The likeness on that sculpt is hurt a bit by the copper helmet hair.

Yeah, that helmet fixes a lot. I'm thinking of what was a -- 5 second shot in ROTJ. Right after whacking Jabba and his entourage, as Luke's fying to Dagobah he's wearing the flight suit and pulls the black glove over his damaged prosthetic.

I'd almost want to pose him with one gloved hand and lightsaber in the flight suit, just to see what it looked like. I'm picturing the helmet on but chin strap down, maybe goggles up. Uncharacteristically EU of me. :lol

Yeah, that helmet fixes a lot. I'm thinking of what was a -- 5 second shot in ROTJ. Right after whacking Jabba and his entourage, as Luke's fying to Dagobah he's wearing the flight suit and pulls the black glove over his damaged prosthetic.

I'd almost want to pose him with one gloved hand and lightsaber in the flight suit, just to see what it looked like. I'm picturing the helmet on but chin strap down, maybe goggles up. Uncharacteristically EU of me. :lol

What's weird about that moment is that Luke always seems to wear gloves anyway - both in ANH and ESB - when he's in a cockpit flying (X-wing and Snowspeeder,) so you'd think that "pull on the glove" moment would have been redundant.

But then he's be walking around for the rest of ROTJ with just one of those huge black oven-mitt sized X-wing gloves on.:lol

I haven't seen it in-hand. Would you say the HT ROTJ Luke is the best likeness so far? I used to give it to BD DX07, but now I'm not so sure. By 'best' I mean a combination of excellent paint, no really glaring issues and more than one good angle.

What's weird about that moment is that Luke always seems to wear gloves anyway - both in ANH and ESB - when he's in a cockpit flying (X-wing and Snowspeeder,) so you'd think that "pull on the glove" moment would have been redundant.

But then he's be walking around for the rest of ROTJ with just one of those huge black oven-mitt sized X-wing gloves on.:lol

Yeah, that was an obvious storytelling thing. Not like I even really noticed it or thought about it until today, almost 36 years later. :lol

I haven't seen it in-hand. Would you say the HT ROTJ Luke is the best likeness so far? I used to give it to BD DX07, but now I'm not so sure. By 'best' I mean a combination of excellent paint, no really glaring issues and more than one good angle.

Yeah, that was an obvious storytelling thing. Not like I even really noticed it or thought about it until today, almost 36 years later. :lol

I think that scene was added after they cut the sandstorm scene.

As I’m thinking of picking up X-wing Luke again, I made the “hat hair” version from the Hot Toys figure work under the x-wing helmet.

ce60f66f4f38fe7fad816064c5b650c6.jpg

51629f28471d1fd6d18cd03b0a0d485b.jpg

0f337882968c7febf3ea91ffa5212b44.jpg

That is amazing TonTon! How much work was involved to fit the helmet?

Back