Lord of the Rings in Blu-Ray

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let's hope New Line doesn't screw up. They're notorious for horrible blu-ray releases.

Well this maybe all good news for the EE's, since that's all I'd buy again (since I own them on DVD).
So this could mean I'm going to need some sort of blu-ray player sooner rather then later. Unless of course the announcement is that the EE's are coming, but not till later next year.

Well not all Bluray movies are great ransfer. It would be funny if LOTR EE gets a bad transfer due to a quicker release. I never buy a bluray, unless the reviews are really good at bly-ray.com. Regular DVD upconverted could be just as good as some blurays, but then again the good transfers on bluray are awesome.

Article July 27, 2009

Lord of the Rings Extended Edition Blu-ray Next Year

In an interview with Collider.com, director Peter Jackson gave some insight into the upcoming Blu-ray releases of 'The Lord of the Rings'. He was able to not only confirm what we already knew, that the upcoming Blu-ray release of 'The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy' would present the theatrical versions of the films, but also that the Extended Editions of the films would be available on Blu-ray next year.

According to Jackson, the studio has already spoken to him about developing additional extra content for the 'The Lord of the Rings: Extended Edition Trilogy' Blu-ray release. This new content would presumably be added to the content available on the existing 12-disc DVD box set for the Blu-ray release.

It was previously believed that the Extended Edition Blu-ray release would be held back until the theatrical release of 'The Hobbit', but Jackson's remarks seem to indicated otherwise. Time will tell, but to get a release of this magnitude completed in less than a year (assuming they would start after the November 3rd release of 'The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy') may be a little ambitious.

:DI hope this happens!!!:D

...According to Jackson, the studio has already spoken to him about developing additional extra content for the 'The Lord of the Rings: Extended Edition Trilogy' Blu-ray release. This new content would presumably be added to the content available on the existing 12-disc DVD box set for the Blu-ray release...

This is good news, indeed!!! :rock

I've waited this long, i suppose i can wait until 2012 for the best version.

Does anyone know if there's extra content on the theatrical set?

Here's what's on the Theatrical set:

Special Features:

• LOTR.net featurettes
• Previews, theatrical trailers and TV spots
• Documentaries:

◦ Fellowship of the Ring:
▪ “Welcome to Middle Earth” (17 min.)
▪ “Quest for the Ring” (21 min.)
▪ “A Passage to Middle Earth” (42 min.)

◦ The Two Towers:
▪ “In the Set” (Starz/ Encore) (14 min.)
▪ “Return to Middle Earth” (WB) (45 min.)

◦ The Return of the King:

▪ “The Quest Fulfilled: A Director’s Vision” (23 min.)
▪ “A Filmmaker’s Journey: Making Of” (28 min.)
▪ National Geographic special (46 min.)

More supplements, and maybe some bloopers! :angelsmil

The More...The Better!!!

Also, from the PJ interview from collider.com

"He told me the first editions to hit Blu-ray are going to be the theatrical versions and a year later we’d get the extended editions. The only good news is he told me the studio has started talking to him about doing some new extras for the Blu-ray extended editions. No word on exactly what the new stuff might be."

Damn, only want and will buy extended. (and that's all the $ they're getting, so the wait is on)

the wait continues...

when will the bluray version be released ?
not the super extended one coming in 2012.

The November Blu-ray release has been cancelled... or at least "delayed" until some time in 2010. So we won't be getting LOTR in high def this year. I'm bummed...

Back