Lord of the Rings in Blu-Ray

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Blu-Ray = overrated. (sure it's nice, but it's not the jump from VHS to DVD like some people make it out to be IMO) I'm fine with my EE DVD's till.......Well for a long damn time.
Blu-Ray is DEFINITELY not overrated. you can see way more in blu-ray than you can on dvds.

Blu-Ray = overrated. (sure it's nice, but it's not the jump from VHS to DVD like some people make it out to be IMO) I'm fine with my EE DVD's till.......Well for a long damn time.

It's a light year jump from VHS and depending on your home theater system ranges from a huge to a big jump over DVD. On what are you basing your comparisons. :confused:

I'd have to agree there is a very noticeable difference between BR and DVD. It makes movie viewing that much more fun.

Yes, Blu-Ray Discs on an HD TV with native 1080p resolution is WAY better than regular DVDs, and the difference is very noticeable.

:horror I spent a fortune when the DVD's were first released buying all 3, then repurchasing them when the extended versions came out....at Blu Ray prices I couldn't do that again. Blu Rays are supposed to give you more visually and in the way of extra's so the Blu Rays should give you the choice of viewing the theatrical or extended versions in one sweet deal. Lately I've been buying Blu Rays that offer the same extra's as the DVD's but have extra digital copies,well I don't think the LOTR will have this but I rather have better extra's ,sound and picture quality than a bonus copy. That's Just me. :google

There are websites you can use to what will be released in the future and I always check them for extended editions or director's cuts. That's how I saved money on the LotR discs because I knew ahead of time the EEs where coming out in a few months after. I'd like to get ahold of some of the extras that were on the 2 disc special edition releases that I didn't buy. I might have to spring for those if I can find them cheap enough. Hopefully the blu-rays won't do this because I'd had to buy both sets.

Blue ray may actually make the effects look worse. It may show the matte paintings and computer graphics more.

Yes, Blu-Ray Discs on an HD TV with native 1080p resolution is WAY better than regular DVDs, and the difference is very noticeable.

+1

Depending on your set-up, on my 125" front projection system, the difference is amazing ! I have done comparisons and it shows. And this would be with top shelf titles.

If you are not getting bigger tan 32"/40", then the upgrade may be minimal, but it is an amazing thing when viewed, and the sound, that is truly an upgrade.

Blue ray may actually make the effects look worse. It may show the matte paintings and computer graphics more.

True. The HD DVD version of King Kong made the dinos look really fake...and this was back when I only had a 1080i TV. I can't imagine how it would look on a 1080p...but I still will pick up King Kong on Blu-Ray when I have the chance.

Best case scenario would be for New Line to put the TEs and the EEs on the same discs as they did with King Kong, but since they're not, it's a moot point.

That's what I'm worried about when "Star Trek, The Movie" is released.

+1

Depending on your set-up, on my 125" front projection system, the difference is amazing ! I have done comparisons and it shows. And this would be with top shelf titles.

If you are not getting bigger tan 32"/40", then the upgrade may be minimal, but it is an amazing thing when viewed, and the sound, that is truly an upgrade.

I have to admit that when I displayed my first HD HVD, it was jaw dropping (73" Mitsubishi DLP). And the sound is wonderful, especially 7.1, which I wish they did more. I hope that it becomes a standard option.

That's what I'm worried about when "Star Trek, The Movie" is released.

I have to admit that when I displayed my first HD HVD, it was jaw dropping (73" Mitsubishi DLP). And the sound is wonderful, especially 7.1, which I wish they did more. I hope that it becomes a standard option.

I bought my Yamaha receiver the year before HDMI became the benchmark for new receivers . I still use optical cable for my 7.1 so I can't enjoy the lossless audio of DTS HD and Dolby HD. Is it a big difference ?

I bought my Yamaha receiver the year before HDMI became the benchmark for new receivers . I still use optical cable for my 7.1 so I can't enjoy the lossless audio of DTS HD and Dolby HD. Is it a big difference ?

Oh man, sorry to hear about your receiver. Impressions vary, but for me, it's a crisper sound and the different sound sources are more defined. I close my eyes and purposely lose track of which effect is playing. I found the switch delay between the effects distracting, but the difference in effects is quite noticable.

I qualify my statement with the fact that sound perception is probably the most hotly debated issue in audio. For example, who makes the best speakers, best receiver, amp, cables (okay, cables are a scam), ad nauseum. Don't get me wrong, there is junk out there, but if a person likes what they hear, they should buy it.

I'm not a techno-geek, but I recently got a 42 inch 720p Panasonic plasma screen HDTV (from what I read doing research, the 720/1080 difference is only noticeable to the human eye if you sit 3-4 feet from the TV, which I don't do). I have a PS3 with Blu Ray player, and have watched a few movies at this point. Similarly, I've run DVDs through the PS3, XBox 360, and regular DVD player (all with slightly different connections--HDMI, component video, old-school, 1 yellow video cable). For the most part, there is a significant, notable difference. . .BUT, with more recent DVDs, it isn't quite so notable to me, if at all. I compared the first Lord of the Rings (extended edition) on DVD with X2 and T2 on Blu Ray, and LOTR looked just as good to me. It looks fantastic.

So, that's my experience.

Oh man, sorry to hear about your receiver. Impressions vary, but for me, it's a crisper sound and the different sound sources are more defined. I close my eyes and purposely lose track of which effect is playing. I found the switch delay between the effects distracting, but the difference in effects is quite noticable.

I qualify my statement with the fact that sound perception is probably the most hotly debated issue in audio. For example, who makes the best speakers, best receiver, amp, cables (okay, cables are a scam), ad nauseum. Don't get me wrong, there is junk out there, but if a person likes what they hear, they should buy it.

Thanks Sky Rider, technology is moving so rapidly. I am very much into sound quality and I thought about selling my new receiver and getting the latest HDMI version, I am trying to wait a few years more to see what new technologies develop. Already there are advancements to the regular HDMI connection that enhance sound and viewing. As far as video the annual CES electronics show just unveiled a 2160 P television doubling 1080 and it will be ready for sale in about 2 years. And SONY has something called an OLED, which could be the next wave in Hi DEf. The word is that Flatscreens will become better extensions to the internet for viewing and downloading with each brand boasting their own interactive features. With 2160 P resolutions on the horizon and Hi Def 3D ; Movie Theaters have lots of work ahead if they are going to continue to bring in the masses.

Everyone has their own thoughts and beliefs when it comes to this. I personally believe that it does depend on your screen size. if you have something smaller than a 42" screen size, then, at least for now, stick to DVD. The definition and clarity of the picture would not be too different...at least not so much as to REALLY notice it. But, if you are lucky enough to have a larger TV, the 50 to 60 inch variety, or even a HD projector, then yeah, it's noticeable.

And if you still don't notice the difference on a large screen projector....go see your optometrist!:D

Another way I like to think of it, is in terms of digital photography. If you have a 5MP picture and a 10MP picture, they look pretty much the same as a 10x8, but if you blow them up to an A4 or A3 size, you notice a BIG difference in quality of the photo. The exact same thing happens with the diiference between DVD and BluRay...:lecture

Last edited:
Back