Limited editions, re-release, open edition?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which bothers you the most - sold out limited editions, re-releases, open editions?

• It's important for the items I buy to have limited editions - the smaller the better

Votes: 50 36.0%
  • All items should be available to buy for everyone, always.

Votes: 32 23.0%
  • I would prefer that they keep something available rather than release a better version later.

Votes: 9 6.5%
  • I prefer re-releases with improvements and limited editions.

Votes: 43 30.9%
  • I prefer re-releases with improvements but the original should always be available.

Votes: 5 3.6%

• Total voters
i dont know which option to pick honestly , it varies in each case,
in cases of statues which are between 200$ to 700$ i prefere a TBD ES while in case of 1000$ -2000$ would like the ES to be open for a certain period of time..( i guess best would be sideshow having a unannounced ES and close it once its reached , also they should number each of them)
in case of hot toys i honestly dont mind re releases , i simply love these things and wish i can buy 2-3 of these , one to keep in mint for display, one for playing around with, one for back up in case of damages, i think everyone into action fig need to get hot toys and prices shouldnt stop them, so if people can afford it then certainly prefer re-releases in case of hot toys

No, not at all - I'm talking about 1/6 mainly -and I think people would feel differently about statues.

I never really got into HT. Liked Iron Man from HT way back but never got hooked. These 1/6 scale are toys or like toys anyway. I collect smaller scales too and never really mind the numbers produced.

Good thing this issue isn't about 1/5 or 1/4 scale. If so, then I'll say too bad...deal with it. These scales ain't cheap. I missed a couple of statue that I would want too but I wouldn't want to ruined the ES just for me.

Voted for the first option by mistake. Should be fourth option knowing now that its for 1/6 scale mostly.

And the point I'm making is that the pre-order is at a certain point in time for a certain audience. To accommodate new collectors certain signature items would need to always be available.

Would those that lean towards limited editions feel that an exclusive item would fulfill those requirements? So the exclusive run would be limited (maybe even more so) but the regular run would always be available.

A lot of outside factors would determine how I would respond. Does the idea of two runs a) limited exclusive and b) regular run sound intriguing? The answer is perhaps.

The idea of the regular run ALWAYS being available is a bit of a stumbling block. Perhaps the regular version have a larger run but I don't like the idea of it always being available. I'd prefer the regular run be re-released with enhancements than always available. Many collector's resale figures to purchase newer releases and if something was always available then the only version to help those collectors would be the exclusive. While collector's could resale exclusives to purchase new those who cannot afford exclusives would be in a pickle. They could sell their regular run figures at a loss to buy new but who would really do that?

I don't always want nor require an exclusive however, the option to "pick n choose" is interesting. Also what is the exclusive? A stand or weapon, I find those tacky nor would I expect to be charged more than regular run. I'd prefer something substantial ie: extra sculpt , outfit etc. then expect to pay more for the limited version because it would be truly "exclusive." I'd also expect the regular run to be more affordable. The idea provides the consumer "options" at least.

Last edited:
The thing is this. . . so much of the price of an item is dependent upon the initial edition size. Hasbro's figures were $20 because they made 50,000. Sideshow's initial prices were $30-$40 because they made 20,000. Then, they shrunk edition sizes and prices went up.

If I buy a Tumbler at $400, I know it's because they're only making 1,000 or so, I can justify the exorbitant price because it's a limited edition. All those older 1/6 vehicles from 21st C and the like were lower prices because they made thousands of them, they were for mass market

But, when HT re-releases the Tumbler, after they've re-couped their initial manufacturing costs (R&D, molding, etc.), their per unit costs drop, so their second run of Tumblers will be much more profitable for them. Granted if their first run was 1,000, and they're only making 500 for the second run, their per unit manufacturing cost will increase, but it's still nowhere near as expensive for them as the initial run.

Part of the reason I'm okay with paying a higher price is that I understand it's a limited edition. But, if it's not a limited edition, then there's no reason to pay a higher price. Doesn't have anything to do with rarity, I'm looking at what it realistically cost to manufacture it, and if I think it's a fair price.

I think mass producing these sort of undermines what we've come to know as high-end, limited edition collectibles. We're a more "adult" community than those who prefer the "TRU" offerings, collectible-wise. It's also the very reason this community exists and Spawn.com's community has dissolved in it's own filth.

Anything that grows and expands the hobby can only be a good thing, as far as I'm concerned. It's all about how the final product turns out for me, it has absolutely nothing to do with how many of "X" are made or not.

I think mass producing these sort of undermines what we've come to know as high-end, limited edition collectibles. We're a more "adult" community than those who prefer the "TRU" offerings, collectible-wise. It's also the very reason this community exists and Spawn.com's community has dissolved in it's own filth.
If I'm gonna be completely honest with myself, there probably is a small part of me that likes being part of a smaller, niche collecting community. I'm not sure I would enjoy the forum as much if it were otherwise, for instance. But I don't think that fact really drives my actually collecting interests. I'm pretty sure I would still buy and enjoy Hot Toys figures if 50,000 of them were produced and they sold for $60 a pop at Toys R Us, assuming the final product was the same.

I buy certain HT figures, because I like them. They are not numbered. I assume there are alot produced, so I don't see why they have it labeled with 'Limited Edition' anyway. I did choose #4, because I don't mind the re-releases as long as they made improvements on that figure.

The thing is this. . . so much of the price of an item is dependent upon the initial edition size. Hasbro's figures were $20 because they made 50,000. Sideshow's initial prices were $30-$40 because they made 20,000. Then, they shrunk edition sizes and prices went up.

If I buy a Tumbler at $400, I know it's because they're only making 1,000 or so, I can justify the exorbitant price because it's a limited edition. All those older 1/6 vehicles from 21st C and the like were lower prices because they made thousands of them, they were for mass market

But, when HT re-releases the Tumbler, after they've re-couped their initial manufacturing costs (R&D, molding, etc.), their per unit costs drop, so their second run of Tumblers will be much more profitable for them. Granted if their first run was 1,000, and they're only making 500 for the second run, their per unit manufacturing cost will increase, but it's still nowhere near as expensive for them as the initial run.

Part of the reason I'm okay with paying a higher price is that I understand it's a limited edition. But, if it's not a limited edition, then there's no reason to pay a higher price. Doesn't have anything to do with rarity, I'm looking at what it realistically cost to manufacture it, and if I think it's a fair price.

:lol, nice way to justify buying the HT Tumbler....

the same as me:slapX400clams

I buy certain HT figures, because I like them. They are not numbered. I assume there are alot produced, so I don't see why they have it labeled with 'Limited Edition' anyway. I did choose #4, because I don't mind the re-releases as long as they made improvements on that figure.

I can't add anything to this :goodpost:

I honestly don't know how to vote. I'm not against seeing the same thing revisited when improvements are clearly possible and yet I was ready to be extremely annoyed if the new Tumbler ended up being better than the one I have. I'm very much conflicted on the matter.

There wasn't really a poll option for me either.

I don't care about edition size but part of the collecting enjoyment comes from buying something while you can and moving on to other things, if they are available all the time there is less of a need to buy right away and that hype can fade, so in that light there needs to be a cap on the amount made and have the comany move on rather than retreading steps backwards instead of forwards.

I see nothing wrong with more people getting into the hobby. Just seems like there's too much of an elitist group of collectors bent on complaining about reissues and rehashing that just ruins being in the hobby.

Obviously they're catering to as much of a market as they can so they can make more profit. More for everyone is good.

There is too many 'already made' licenses/franchises coming to appease newer customers, with very little for older customers, HT need to balance thing alot better.

Remakes, re-issues, relaunches... Whatever they are called will mostly be bought by newer customers which is good for them but It'd make them more money and more pleased customers if they devote more time to fresh, new franchises for those new customers AND old customers rather than for mostly new customers. :lecture

there can be another argument , though i dont know how far im correct, there are a lot more new collectors joining today just because they think its a good investment, most probably in areas where hot toys are easily available without much shipping , customs rates, guys like me cant afford to stock up for flipping cos we end up almost half the price extra each time we order something, so buying is extremely limited to things i absolutely love
im thinking most people in Singapore US can afford to stock 3 or 4 hot toys/sideshow , cos as we have seen recently the prices for sideshow ex and hot toys rise within few months as soon as it is released..right now by creating doubts in the minds of those people , i feel hot toys and sideshow are creating doubts in the minds of those who stock up, which is better for those who really collect,i actually dont think its wrong thing for some collectors to stock a couple to further support their hobby, i have been into collecting only a year and im feeling the lack of space already, if i have to buy new things i might end up getting rid of a few in some 4-5 years down the line,who knows?i might change my tune to that of long time collectors around here ..but right now i feel both sideshow and hot toys are doing the right thing about their policies on ES and re releases

Limited editions. No rereleases. Ever. Period.

If you missed it. Too bad. Go find it on ebay.

I've missed a lot of stuff and it's just something I have to live with.

If I'm gonna be completely honest with myself, there probably is a small part of me that likes being part of a smaller, niche collecting community. I'm not sure I would enjoy the forum as much if it were otherwise, for instance. But I don't think that fact really drives my actually collecting interests. I'm pretty sure I would still buy and enjoy Hot Toys figures if 50,000 of them were produced and they sold for $60 a pop at Toys R Us, assuming the final product was the same.

Not what I meant. This forum is a welcome side effect of limited edition collectibles. They bring in collectors with a different mindset than those who collect the mass produced stuff. There are exceptions of course, but for the most part, they're two different kinds of collectors. The proof is out there. Compare SSF to Rebelscum, Spawn.com or Hisstank and you'll see what I mean. Plus, nowadays, I've noticed that when many make the jump from those to high-end, suddenly they become self-appointed accuracy experts. Further proof they just don't grasp the concept. :lol

I think the smaller the better. This is not a cheap hobby. It's nice to know that if in case you need some funds you can sell some of your collection, also nice to know that when you see products you appreciate or like more, you can fund them by using other items you had obtained before.

Unless this hobby becomes cheaper, I think limited editions is crucial.

This collectors generation is changing. The toy company's have been making such cool products that edition size and limitability are not such factors. People are buying the Tumbler because its an awesome piece. Not because the secondary market value was high on the 1st run. Buts its always been buy because the price will go up. If re-release's and open editions keep coming the "value" of the "collectibles" will crash. Will that cause people to stop collecting? We shall see. Its a roll of the dice for these companies.

However, I'm a collector. The smaller the edition the better. I re-cycle my collection ever few years. I'll flip to pay for new stuff. If that flipping option is gone. Collecting will become alot harder.

This collectors generation is changing. The toy company's have been making such cool products that edition size and limitability are not such factors. People are buying the Tumbler because its an awesome piece. Not because the secondary market value was high on the 1st run. Buts its always been buy because the price will go up. If re-release's and open editions keep coming the "value" of the "collectibles" will crash. Will that cause people to stop collecting? We shall see. Its a roll of the dice for these companies.

However, I'm a collector. The smaller the edition the better. I re-cycle my collection ever few years. I'll flip to pay for new stuff. If that flipping option is gone. Collecting will become alot harder.

Customers who missed it are buying it because they couldn't afford the original on the secodary market, otherwise they wouldn't have complained to HT to reissue it cos they couldn't afford it.

Flippers/scalpers aren't buying it cos the aftermarket value can't get as high cos HT will make enough for it to be in-stock fow a good while.

These threads confuse my brain. I find myself agreeing with people I don't normally agree with, disagreeing with people I normally agree with, partially agreeing with other people I normally agree/disagree with and then disagreeing with myself. I think I need to leave this topic.

Back