Re-Releasing of Previous Sold-out Pieces: Thoughts? Opinions?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I didn't know better I would think this was like some last ditch effort to make money from Star Wars. Could Sideshow be losing the license and are not allowed to put up any new products for preorder after say the end of this year and want to get as much money as possible out of license before it ends????
If that was the case why would LFL be approving theses?

I hate this idea. I like to see my collection gain value and not drop. I like to flip and love when my pieces skyrocket on ebay. Flipping is part of the recycling of my collection. Sick of seeing all the discounts on pieces I bought. I think Re-Releasing is total BS. However I'm going to order the R2 & C3 piece since I'm a SW nerd. But trying hard to not buy anything SS these days.

If that was the case why would LFL be approving theses?

I'd have to agree with Jason. I think instead of a plain money grab, it is more likely that they aren't getting their license renewed and therefore are just re-releasing product that has already received licensor approval previously. Hence we've seen only minor changes if any. Take C-3PO for example. All they had to do was a slight paint variation and they could have made it into a Force Awakens C-3PO, but they didn't.

Also, they haven't re-released any products from any other license, so it is doesn't look like it's a new policy company-wide. Only time will tell.

I'd have to agree with Jason. I think instead of a plain money grab, it is more likely that they aren't getting their license renewed and therefore are just re-releasing product that has already received licensor approval previously. Hence we've seen only minor changes if any. Take C-3PO for example. All they had to do was a slight paint variation and they could have made it into a Force Awakens C-3PO, but they didn't.

Also, they haven't re-released any products from any other license, so it is doesn't look like it's a new policy company-wide. Only time will tell.

The Force Awakens stuff hasn't been shown yet

The thing is this would have to be reapproved. Every little thing has to be approved by LFL. I have been to their offices and if it's SW it goes through them.

I like rereleases. It brings in new customers and destroys value so flippers have a hard time applying their trade. I hope SS gets around to other high aftermrket pieces.

Honestly if you're looking for investments...vintage figures and certified game used jerseys or certified autographed jerseys direct from NHL/NFL/MLB, etc...

To be fair they've only done pieces that were previously "Limited Edition" that are now retired and the new versions are different.
Besides some colour variants of the odd piece there hasn't been any rehashing of numbered sold out pieces. Yet.
But - I think it sucks.
The only saving grace is these new releases aren't better than the older ones in any way.

oh yes they are. that vader bust smokes the original. the r2 and 3po look better, and the Fett looks more accurate green...

If they could make more accurate versions with v.2 then why couldn't they have been accurate to begin with?

oh yes they are. that vader bust smokes the original. the r2 and 3po look better, and the Fett looks more accurate green...

That judgment is yours to make :) but the Vader is from what I can tell identical to the old one with a turned head and no Shaw portrait. The droids have a different base and maybe the weathering is different again. Fett is a completely different sculpt and no different to the new Vader they've done in that respect.

Vader's dome sits lower and the face mask appears to be a more accurate sculpt. Each Vader helmet in the OT is different from each movie. I believe both ROTJ and ESB had special stunt helmets made as well. Vader experts can tell you the difference where most people, can't.

The Force Awakens stuff hasn't been shown yet

I haven't been following SSC as much, but do we know if they even has TFA license? Or is their license all inclusive? Considering how much Disney is pimping the hell out of the merchandise I would assume they would require at least an amended contract/license.

As a guy who just started a year ago, I'm all for it. Plus like it was mentioned, with technology; it changes the game. Just saw the John Wayne PF and the mix media is superb! The sculpting....not as much. Now to be fair, my opinion is bias after being spoiled with some great sculpts.

I was just telling a buddy I'd love to see things we didn't get before even if it's a redo of a character like an Endor or Hoth Leia. Even if they did slave leia again, I'd love to see how she'd look now.

I just bought XM Phoenix for a premium and let me say she sells right now for several hundred bucks less than I paid. We win some and we lose some. I wouldnt be cashing in my investment for figures. That's just a bad call. I had Superman Ex and seeing them make more regulars actually makes me happy because it's a gorgeous piece and it's nice to see people get a chance to get em and not pay an arm on the secondary market.

On editions that SSC said would be unnumbered and go on as long as they like.... No problem.

On pieces that have a numbered edition.... Well that is a different story... Right now, I don't care. All the pieces I own are pretty much keepers... I will leave them to my kids and let them sell or keep or whatever.... I would love to get the OG Hulk at 500.00 but I can understand how people would feel who bought this for big money on ebay just to watch the value plummet. they would have to make some major changes to not really PO the masses. Like give Hulk a different base, different colored pants and no rip shirt... then maybe but it would still effect the value of the originals.... At the same time I would not mind seeing the flippers who are in it just to flip get nailed...

I like to sell a piece in order to buy another piece so there is that... I guess as long as my original would not be effected in original cost I would not be too bothered.

That's your opinion. The new Vader bust is awesome. No doubt. But so was the old one. In fact I would say better because of the detail you get with the exposed mandible portion and exquisite Anakin portrait. The display options are vast and really give good value to the collector. With the helmet and mask stand, you actually get two very large, gorgeous display pieces.

The Droids look about the same as the previous release. Hard to tell in the photos, but I really don't see how they would be better(or worse). The sandy base of the original regular release is still the best display option of the droid sets by far.

Fett more accurate green? This Fett is from ESB the previous release was Jedi. Different costumes. Different green.

That's your opinion. The new Vader bust is awesome. No doubt. But so was the old one. In fact I would say better because of the detail you get with the exposed mandible portion and exquisite Anakin portrait. The display options are vast and really give good value to the collector. With the helmet and mask stand, you actually get two very large, gorgeous display pieces.

The Droids look about the same as the previous release. Hard to tell in the photos, but I really don't see how they would be better(or worse). The sandy base of the original regular release is still the best display option of the droid sets by far.

Fett more accurate green? This Fett is from ESB the previous release was Jedi. Different costumes. Different green.

Previous Fett was also ESB.

Honestly if you're looking for investments...vintage figures and certified game used jerseys or certified autographed jerseys direct from NHL/NFL/MLB, etc...

Not even those. Try gold or silver, those are universally accepted.

I hate this idea. I like to see my collection gain value and not drop. I like to flip and love when my pieces skyrocket on ebay. Flipping is part of the recycling of my collection. Sick of seeing all the discounts on pieces I bought. I think Re-Releasing is total BS. However I'm going to order the R2 & C3 piece since I'm a SW nerd. But trying hard to not buy anything SS these days.

Your way of collecting is exactly the opposite of what I do. :)

Previous Fett was also ESB.

Is this not the previous Boba Fett PF? This is the Jedi costume.

7151_press01-001.jpg

Back