Re-Releasing of Previous Sold-out Pieces: Thoughts? Opinions?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is the PF, we're talking about the 1/6 figure; both are ESB releases... with this new one being a tweaked version of the original figure, with less stuff.

The new Boba Fett PF (currently on Pre-Order) though is from ESB, so I can see where the confusion would come in.

I agree with those who are more concerned with the laziness of the reissue than the reissue itself. For example with ROTJ 1:6 Vader. They fix the suit and gloves (good) but leave the headsculpt the same (total fail) and no new Shaw portrait or severed hand (so how the **** is it specific to ROTJ?). Or take the C-3PO/R2 reissue. Instead of a cheap repaint, why not do an entirely new set? Star Wars is an exciting, dynamic license. So much more they could do with it besides lazy, unimaginative reissues.

Anyone collecting these collectibles for Aftermarket Value should get into another hobby. There is only value when someone is willing to pay for it. I for one collect only what I like and have bought newer versions from time to time. Sideshow is a business they will only make decisions solely based on profitability. We've been shown time and again that quality is NOT ALWAYS THEIR PRIORITY. Hot Toys is no different as we have seen countless abandoned prototypes and countless re-issues (mainly Iron Man)

I'm not sure how I feel about it. To one extent or another, almost everyone does re-releases or upgrades/rehashes. Takara, Hasbro, Mattel, Hot Toys, Enterbay, Diamond Select, Medicom, even custom artists. But for SSC, it certainly is a new thing that goes against their former mission. It does impact the "collectibility" of a piece of course. And that's not just about monetary value, but rareness for the sake of being rare. Which is a big motivation for many collectors, and helps to make something feel less like a mass produced kids' toy. In the past, this was a big selling point for SSC, so they certainly took advantage of this fact.

But ultimately, SSC has been changing a lot in recent years. This is one more in a series of fundamental changes to their business model, that have been impacted by a lot of factors, but included among these is Hot Toys taking its place as the premier "high end" 1/6 scale company for major geek licenses. SSC can't hope to compete anymore, and so rationally they shouldn't. As collectors/hobbyists/whatever, we will just have to factor this into buying decisions.

Anyone collecting these collectibles for Aftermarket Value should get into another hobby. There is only value when someone is willing to pay for it. I for one collect only what I like and have bought newer versions from time to time. Sideshow is a business they will only make decisions solely based on profitability. We've been shown time and again that quality is NOT ALWAYS THEIR PRIORITY. Hot Toys is no different as we have seen countless abandoned prototypes and countless re-issues (mainly Iron Man)
Re-using parts for different IM Marks that appeared on screen or are repaints with different MMS designations is different than a straight reissue like the Probe Droid.

Is this not the previous Boba Fett PF? This is the Jedi costume.

View attachment 229726

thats the PF. we are talking the sixth scale. which is most certainly ESB. just look at the blaster. the blaster is what i look at to quickly surmise what version Fett we are dealing with.

the vader bust is outstanding. it is far better than the original. if you look at both and don't see the difference then you aren't looking at the details. for one the tusks are asymmetrical, on the original they are not. the dome sits lower, and the dome height looks more accurate.

thats the PF. we are talking the sixth scale. which is most certainly ESB. just look at the blaster. the blaster is what i look at to quickly surmise what version Fett we are dealing with.

the vader bust is outstanding. it is far better than the original. if you look at both and don't see the difference then you aren't looking at the details. for one the tusks are asymmetrical, on the original they are not. the dome sits lower, and the dome height looks more accurate.

I think you've missed my point. The main attraction of the original bust isn't the dome display, it's the Anakin portrait. If someone wanted a authentic replica, neither bust comes close. They are both stylized interpretations or Vader.

For authenticity you'll need to find either the Master Replicas or EFX buckets.

Me neither - collectors by now should understand that companies such as Sideshow are businesses first and foremost. They have no obligation to our ideas about collecting, just as we have no obligation to buy their products.

I hate it. I don't care how many your make, but once it's "sold out" it should be exactly that. Don't give me a new base or a tiny tweak and call it a new product.

I think its great...couldnt care less if the so called original went down in value.....

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

I'm not sure how I feel about it. To one extent or another, almost everyone does re-releases or upgrades/rehashes. Takara, Hasbro, Mattel, Hot Toys, Enterbay, Diamond Select, Medicom, even custom artists. But for SSC, it certainly is a new thing that goes against their former mission. It does impact the "collectibility" of a piece of course. And that's not just about monetary value, but rareness for the sake of being rare. Which is a big motivation for many collectors, and helps to make something feel less like a mass produced kids' toy. In the past, this was a big selling point for SSC, so they certainly took advantage of this fact.

But ultimately, SSC has been changing a lot in recent years. This is one more in a series of fundamental changes to their business model, that have been impacted by a lot of factors, but included among these is Hot Toys taking its place as the premier "high end" 1/6 scale company for major geek licenses. SSC can't hope to compete anymore, and so rationally they shouldn't. As collectors/hobbyists/whatever, we will just have to factor this into buying decisions.
Agreed. It's also evident in their change of name. They've decided to drop the word "Collectible" and appears to be known now as just "Sideshow".

Well, judging by the number of people content with reissues it appears SSC's cynical business plan is justified. If I were buying PFs, though, I'd rather get one quality XM (their Boba Fett looks fantastic) than five twice released Sideshows. For 1:6, my money will be parked with HT, who seem to have some love for the franchise, in addition to business sense.

Well, judging by the number of people content with reissues it appears SSC's cynical business plan is justified. If I were buying PFs, though, I'd rather get one quality XM (their Boba Fett looks fantastic) than five twice released Sideshows. For 1:6, my money will be parked with HT, who seem to have some love for the franchise, in addition to business sense.

Personally, the XM Boba is too flashy for me. It feels like the asked a five year old to describe to them an action scene with Boba Fett in it. Too busy.

Yeah, I prefer mixed media in general so I was probably never going to grab the XM statue over the PF. But I was surprised how much I didn't like the general design.

I just bought a house, and had to watch the Boba fett bust month after month, and the month veggies I had saved up enough for flexpay, it went out of stock. The inaccuracies made it not a huge loss, but if they re-release a more accurate fett bust I'm all for it

I'm too new to this hobby for it to bother me honestly. I'm from the NASCAR diecast hobby where 9 out of 10 cars are blown out for half price or less at the end of the year and maybe 5 out of 100 cars released actually go up in value. The rest are almost worthless. I've been trying to sell them off and i have cars from 2013 i paid $65 for that i can't sell without making it not worth my time. Everyone wants to only pay $20 WITH shipping making it not worth my time. In this hobby even if a figure or statue drops to 75% its value I'm pleased because I've seen way worse with other hobbies. It is all about perspective.

Personally, the XM Boba is too flashy for me. It feels like the asked a five year old to describe to them an action scene with Boba Fett in it. Too busy.

Yeah, I prefer mixed media in general so I was probably never going to grab the XM statue over the PF. But I was surprised how much I didn't like the general design.

I'm with you guys. I love fully sculpted pieces, but for my cinema pieces I prefer mixed media. Plus, the Boba Fett PF in my opinion is the best Boba Fett statue I've ever seen.

Back