Limited editions, re-release, open edition?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which bothers you the most - sold out limited editions, re-releases, open editions?

• It's important for the items I buy to have limited editions - the smaller the better

Votes: 50 36.0%
  • All items should be available to buy for everyone, always.

Votes: 32 23.0%
  • I would prefer that they keep something available rather than release a better version later.

Votes: 9 6.5%
  • I prefer re-releases with improvements and limited editions.

Votes: 43 30.9%
  • I prefer re-releases with improvements but the original should always be available.

Votes: 5 3.6%

• Total voters
It doesn't matter if you don't have this mentality though. Once the "base" moves away to something else, the end is near for the product they're leaving behind.

If the company is soliciting to a broader demographic (once they've built an awareness of what they're selling, beyond the initial core base of collectors) the rarity of the product becomes less critical. They have more customers, they sell more units. A thousand other things can go wrong, but once they've tapped an artery, the market becomes exponentially more forgiving.

Star Wars is a perfect example (but maybe not fair, given how successful the brand is). DC and Marvel are as well. I don't see compromised limitedness being a threat to my ability to pick and choose cool things I see being produced. The greater economic climate is much more significant in this regard. A contraction would drive these companies to either mass produced toys, or inordinately expensive/low edition sized art. One I wouldn't be interested in and the other, I couldn't afford. But so long as things are booming (relatively speaking; things could be much worse than they are) I see no risk for the middle range of $350 statues and $150 figures. The two extremes simply feed that, and vice versa.

If the company is soliciting to a broader demographic (once they've built an awareness of what they're selling, beyond the initial core base of collectors) the rarity of the product becomes less critical. They have more customers, they sell more units. A thousand other things can go wrong, but once they've tapped an artery, the market becomes exponentially more forgiving.

Star Wars is a perfect example (but maybe not fair, given how successful the brand is). DC and Marvel are as well. I don't see compromised limitedness being a threat to my ability to pick and choose cool things I see being produced. The greater economic climate is much more significant in this regard. A contraction would drive these companies to either mass produced toys, or inordinately expensive/low edition sized art. One I wouldn't be interested in and the other, I couldn't afford. But so long as things are booming (relatively speaking; things could be much worse than they are) I see no risk for the middle range of $350 statues and $150 figures. The two extremes simply feed that, and vice versa.

Rarity is always important as it creates a continual buzz around a product and subsequent product lines. And that buzz is what brings in new customers.

You cannot compare Star Wars, Marvel and DC with a company making 1/6 figures. The first three are brands, whereas the other is simply a licensee.

In the end it's a fine balancing act between supply and demand. And I'm sure 99% of the companies would rather run out of supply than overproduce and oversaturate their market. This is even more important in the case of high end collectibles.

I'm sure they would. But if their stuff is tripling and quadrupling in the aftermarket, then they have radically underestimated demand.

At a certain point, buzz becomes roar.

To me, if you're buying something because of its rarity an not because you appreciate what it is, you're wasting money.

Fair, but some of us also "appreciate" rarity in itself. It certainly gives me pleasure. If it's also a piece I love for "what it is", then it becomes the perfect collectible imo.

(ex. I just ordered the new Mignola Batman B/W variant because I love the look, but I would much rather have an original - since it was original, and was likely more limited. EDIT: of course, price plays a game here, since I dont love the original version enough to shell out an order of magnitude more cash for it.)

I'm sure they would. But if their stuff is tripling and quadrupling in the aftermarket, then they have radically underestimated demand.

At a certain point, buzz becomes roar.

However, without the secondary market, there is very little buzz....maybe a whimper.

If a company produced larger quantities due to their stuff tripling/quadrupling in the aftermarket, they'd soon find themselves with a warehouse full of items they can't move.

Or that simply move more slowly. If they're making a greater variety of products, that becomes less of an issue.

I'm not sure how many companies want to stay garage kit makers forever. I don't think they can. Either they grow, or they stagnate. The secondary market success generates new customers, the base expands; over-production is a mistake, but so is under-production.

It's a process that can't be rushed, but they aren't selling fine art. Even at its highest end, this is a low-end hobby amongst the things people collect. Rarity is a good catalyst, but it can't sustain them.

Or that simply move more slowly. If they're making a greater variety of products, that becomes less of an issue.

I'm not sure how many companies want to stay garage kit makers forever. I don't think they can. Either they grow, or they stagnate. The secondary market success generates new customers, the base expands; over-production is a mistake, but so is under-production.

It's a process that can't be rushed, but they aren't selling fine art. Even at its highest end, this is a low-end hobby amongst the things people collect. Rarity is a good catalyst, but it can't sustain them.

But this is where diversity and expansion (through exploring more licenses / delving further into current licenses) comes into play. Not revisiting old releases and undermining the very customer base that got them where they are.

tumblr_lofeg51mWF1qikhz3o1_500.gif

I couldn't give a ____ about rarity, and, like MF said, as long as I can have it in my collection, I couldn't care less about how many are made or even what they're selling for (MSRP, Secondary, or re-release MSRP).

Bottom line: Something perks my interest, I inspect it, look at the price, ask myself if it's worth it, and make a decision to buy or not. Just as many of my collection pieces can be had for much lower than what I paid as opposed to the ones that can be had for much more. Couldn't care less either way.

The ones who paid $130 and are trying to sell it for $500 to cover Iron Monger, or '89 Batman and Joker, or DX Luke and Red Skull, etc. :lol

And what makes you think that someone would rather spend $500 on a Celtic Predator that no longer looks like a top notch product than buy the Iron Monger or '89 Batman and Predator?

Who are these mythical, wealthy buyers that are supposed to buy every outdated figure one of these early collectors decide to toss into the market? Long standing collectors won't buy them, since they're also ditching their old figures to cover the cost of the new toys and new collectors will, in all likelihood, compare a 2008 figure with the 2012 and pick the latter.

And what makes you think that someone would rather spend $500 on a Celtic Predator that no longer looks like a top notch product than buy the Iron Monger or '89 Batman and Predator?

Who are these mythical, wealthy buyers that are supposed to buy every outdated figure one of these early collectors decide to toss into the market? Long standing collectors won't buy them, since they're also ditching their old figures to cover the cost of the new toys and new collectors will, in all likelihood, compare a 2008 figure with the 2012 and pick the latter.

there will be a few completists, anyways like u said only those filthy rich and obsessed will pay that much,,

They're the ones who've made the price go that high. The only thing mythical here is your take on reality. People are paying those prices. And not just for predators. Batmans, Iron Mans, Aliens, Robocops, etc. :wink1:

Personally,
I'm not bothered by these re-releases... unfortunately a lot of other figures/licenses are getting delayed or stuck in limbo due to this.

But it's cool that people can get the figures that they want though...
And even with re-releases I think the original ones will always have a special place in collector's minds.

For example, I have the original HT OC Batman Begins figure. It IS one of the few numbered HT figures, and I have #1 from that Edition. It feels special to have it, and it looks awesome on my shelf. I did however updated the head with the OC DK one.

And it didn't bother me that they re-released it. With the 3rd "re-release" I was thinking about selling my original one to replace it. And as cool as the new one looks, I think the original is still better and has a special place in my collection.

Now, I'd rather see all these announced figures/lines that are delayed be released sooner rather than later, but I understand why HT is doing what they are doing.
The thing is, if those "mainstream" figures gather funds for more obscure ones, I'm fine with that, but it needs to be balanced better.

Back