Lights for Detolf

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great job on the bottom support for the Detolfs. For the angle question, I've been thinking about looking for a piece of molding or trim that was angled and that the light strips could be attached to.
I was thinking I might be able to do this or find some kind of small metal brackets at the hardware store but I have not been to look yet.
Thanks! Missed that sneaky link the first go 'round. ;)
Thought that might have been the case!

That's a great display Omlet :clap If I end up picking up the Dioders I'll definitely remember the tip on your blog about using cooler bulbs for my main light source to balance out the warmer light of Dioders.

Update time! Just finished (for today) what I have been working on a little bit at a time this week: more DETOLF renovation.

Going back to needing to angle the lights in-wards for the figures in the back to have their faces lit, I was thinking about trying some concave molding or some kind of weather stripping or something. I also wanted to do something to hide the actual light bulbs from the front because they're kind of distracting. I wasn't sure what exactly, but I went to the hardware store and looked around and found that 8 feet of molding was only $3.50 and it looked like it might work out just how I wanted.

For that price, it seemed worth a try. I got 2 of the 8 foot strips thinking 4x4 lights, 1 foot strip per light, 16 feet, but DETOLF are actually 13 3/4" between the metal railing. I cut them to that length and didn't have enough for all the shelves but I went ahead and took some pictures now so you can see the progress and what kind of difference this makes. Sorry that some of these are kind of dark... I was working on this in my garage in the evenings after it got dark so I just used my phone because I didn't want to go in and get the real camera.

Measuring, cutting, sanding
f3kKAF1.jpg

uPlfnLE.jpg

Primer
2tLMle5.jpg

Paint
JJDsRQv.jpg

Installation
V9X61LI.jpg

JezlvcH.jpg

Eiwz7nL.jpg

mjGDOQY.jpg

How it looks right now (figures kind of disorganized due to the work). Compare to previous way (like 10 posts or so back) where the lights were visible and more distracting from the front
I8b0OnD.jpg

(room lights off)
PIWQiKn.jpg

Pretty happy with how this is turning out so far. Gonna try to pick up the last molding strip I need soon.
(If these pictures are too large I can edit post)

Hi! I am trying to use IKEA dioder, warm white discs to improve my setup. I am happy so far, since I did not want to have cables seen too easily, and I like light and shadow environment... will make changes though.

On a IKEA Billy.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

thanks for the comments.

I am pretty happy with the first attempt, even if I have to improve. Any suggestions are welcome.

Hey guys, new here. Haven't been collecting long but I took my first shot at lighting my detolfs.Please excuse the poor pic as i'm basically out the door to go to work.

uWdRAdI.jpg

Evening all. Looking for advice for users (possibly UK only) that have recently bought a set of the DIODER 4 piece strips.

Got 2 of my 6 cases with warm rather than cool lighting and hate the imbalance it gives so was looking to replace with the cool lighting.
Not really able to just take a trip to a IKEA store due to not being a driver so I am having to bite the bullet and get them delivered.
However, online for the stips there is only one listing and it doesn't give an option for warm or cool. Naturally I am a little reluctant to purchase in the chance I get more warm sets.

Can anyone confirm why on the UK site its only one listing ? Has the cool sold out or been discontinued ?
I am at a loss otherwise on what to do for my lighting situation. :(

Thanks for the idea with the strip of Wood, I have change all my Detolf, before I had the LED stripes in the middle and the light was not ideal:

Attachments

• d7.jpg
    d7.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 732
  • d5.jpg
    d5.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 719
  • d6.jpg
    d6.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 735
  • d2.jpg
    d2.jpg
    272.1 KB · Views: 740
Also glad to see more and more people going for the "triangle" slanted way of putting up lights.
Had it that way for years and have to say, it does make a difference in giving more light. Especially great for a shelf thats full or a darker room.

Evening all. Looking for advice for users (possibly UK only) that have recently bought a set of the DIODER 4 piece strips.

Got 2 of my 6 cases with warm rather than cool lighting and hate the imbalance it gives so was looking to replace with the cool lighting.
Not really able to just take a trip to a IKEA store due to not being a driver so I am having to bite the bullet and get them delivered.
However, online for the stips there is only one listing and it doesn't give an option for warm or cool. Naturally I am a little reluctant to purchase in the chance I get more warm sets.

Can anyone confirm why on the UK site its only one listing ? Has the cool sold out or been discontinued ?
I am at a loss otherwise on what to do for my lighting situation. :(

The cool white has been discontinued unfortunately. My local Ikea still has the cool white for the display model but all anywhere has in stock is the warm.

Also to Omlet, C3PO or Cloud Warrior what did you use to stick the wood strips to the glass? I'm worried about using an adhesive that looks messy through the glass.

Argh
Thanks magpie.
Disappointing that the cool is no longer out there. Going to have to resort to looking for an alternative now then as warm just doesn't do the job for me.

Sent from my phone so please excuse any errors.

Oh and sorry. Didn't see the q about how to stick stuff up.

Personally, for the bar I didn't use wood but made a black cardboard triangle strip. 25cm long and each side 1cm tall.
Then used what was listed on ebay UK as licence plate sticky back tape. Was a few pound for 5m if I remember correctly.

Very strong stuff and I'd wager it would give even wood a good hold.

On phone atm but will try to get a link for your viewing incase. If not I will tomorrow.

All I do advise is not to use traditional card craft white sticky pads. Not strong enough and glue drops lights when room temp goes past winter to summer.

151646274761 ebay item number is best I can get of app.

That is basically what I use but this is just a bit wider. Found external stuff was best or water proof as they have best adherence and hold, especially through the seesaw temp changes of cold then hot from fire in the winter to the sustainable heat from the summers.

Did also consider plastic cable management strips to conceal the light strip as the plastic would also offer some level of reflection due to the sheen it has.

Wish I had some pictures of the old displays I had to show my work and to contribute more than words of wisdom (haha) but now switched to having my lights straight on the glass.and aiming down with just a strip of black card to hide the frontal glare. Do still love and live by the idea of the 45 degree frontal lighting but a moved furniture around and decided that a more mood driven and subtle museum look fitted the room more.
Trying to get back into the forum game so will make an effort soon to get a picture of my current displays with lighting to ideally help someone with questions.
Gotta pay it back after all. :)

Thanks for the advice. Still researching different ideas at the minute as I wont have a chance to do anything until the summer holidays.

Also to Omlet, C3PO or Cloud Warrior what did you use to stick the wood strips to the glass? I'm worried about using an adhesive that looks messy through the glass.
Since I have white DETOLF I just used double-sided foam tape which is white and doesn't stand out against the wood stripes after I painted them. This means there's like a 1mm gap between the glass and the wood but it doesn't bother me at all. It might bother me if I was attaching these to a BILLY shelf or similar thicker wood shelf where such a gap would stand out more, but on the DETOLF glass it's fine. I put one piece on each end 1 inch long (width of the tape) and 1/4 inch wide and it holds up the weight of the wood and light just fine.

I used double-sided foam tape too (but in transparent), three pieces (end and middle) approximately 2 cm long and 6 mm wide and I have the gap of 1 mm too. I think the tape and the gap are no problems because all people look at the collectibles and not to the light Strip :)

I recently purchased some Ikea LED Dioder, but the color is a bit warm(too yellow for my taste.) Any suggestions for the new set of lights?

Back