Lights for Detolf

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used the 5 metre dimmer led sticky strips and started from the bottom right.

b541mv.jpg

I bought a piece of slanted dowel and stained it to match the detolf to hide the lights on the top and bottom from being visible from the front.

1zjb6b.jpg

30wrv3p.jpg

The final touch will be to drill a hole behind the grey frame on the hinge side, for the wires to go under the cabinets.

faolco.jpg

ddl5vq.jpg

Things I've learnt for my next detolf is to lightly sand the grey frame on the inside to ensure better adhesion for the led strip. I used zip ties on the second one to hold the led strip in place while I stuck it around the entire frame. As the first one kept sagging and coming away in places due to not sanding or priming the surface.

We have these two plain old boring detolfs. We decided to raise it up a bit and some lights. Expedite from Ikea were used to raise the detolfs. Dioder LED strips were used for the lighting and Cordmate Cover kit to cover the wiring. Took us about 6 hours to finish everything. 4 hours alone just figuring things out. :cuckoo:

detolf_a_zps0cc4e9c3.jpg

detolf_b_zps3dd24e89.jpg

detolf_c_zps84006284.jpg

detolf_d_zps942d0ac4.jpg

detolf_e_zps777598c2.jpg

detolf_f_zps17f4ec25.jpg

detolf_g_zpsc6e392b5.jpg

detolf_h_zps78920ba9.jpg

detolf_i_zps66a7e3a5.jpg

detolf_j_zpsa74dcfb5.jpg

detolf_l_zpsf6e5b458.jpg

a1ab49b1-2217-4277-b7af-5189582a9734_zps175e313e.jpg

detolf_m_zps86703e80.jpg

I have the same lights in my Detolfs . I've had them for few years . I love them . I got mine at LOWES

Yeah. I'm gonna get two more sets and run them along the outsides to put a bit more light on the middle. Maybe.

Great pics there IronWoman. Particularly liking the 1:1 busts with the single light pucks beneath them.

I bought my first detolf a couple of weeks ago and this is how it looks like at the moment:
2014-07-10 00.39.55.jpg
I went for the Dioder pucks as an interim solution until my led ribbon arrives and put them in the front left corner.

With the ribbon I am thinking about installing two independant circuits. One with warm white/color leds for ambient light and one with cool white/bright leds to illuminate everything and every little detail.

I also consider using Pixelpipers electrified-rails-method. I do wonder though if this method has any side-effects because of the steel being less conductive than copper wire.

I also consider using Pixelpipers electrified-rails-method. I do wonder though if this method has any side-effects because of the steel being less conductive than copper wire.

It's not appreciable. The resistance is negligible for this purpose. I'll be offering "wireless" kits to make the whole process even more simple that connecting traditional linked-wired lighting.

I'm going to be installing LED strips, the diodors or whatever from Ikea, and was wondering if it's best to put them in the front of the display horizontally or the back of the display horizontally. Furthermore, is it better to put them horizontally or have them vertically on the sides of the case. Thanks!

I'm looking for one set of Ikea original cool white dioders. If anyone is willing to part with a set I'm willing to pay handsomely for them. I am working with 9 sets and even though I know the barlighting.com ones are brighter I just can't fathom changing everything out. Pm me and name your price if your interested. Happy holidays to all!

That's funny, I was just going to post here asking if anyone had the Downlighter kit. I'm looking at buying my first detolfs and was wondering about it.

For those who have the led strip on the bottom of each shelve, have you considered to spray or apply film of window frost? so that the strip is not seen from the top.

I'm not happy how the front to back lighting looks and want to switch to "downlighter" but dont want the strip to show.

Hi all, i'm new to the forum. Recently resurrected my figures from 3 years of loft storage which have only ever been on a crappy alcove shelf at my previous place.

I'm in the process of setting up my first Detolf cabinets using Dioder strips from IKEA (warm white unfortunatley!).

I've noticed if you put the strip along the front of the shelf and angle it 45 degrees down and inwards you get a hell of a lot more lit up front to back. But it does expose more of the back of the strip though.

Sounds obvious but i've not see anyone do it. Need to find a way of keeping the strips ain place at an angle.

Back