Lights for Detolf

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found it in the paint department in Home Depot and it's some crazy strong stuff as long as you do it right. Apply tape in setup and minimize weight. Use hairdryer to heat it up so it's adhesiveness is at it's max. I use this stuff in car internal and external. Just might be tough to remove ;)

:borg:

I found it in the paint department in Home Depot and it's some crazy strong stuff as long as you do it right. Apply tape in setup and minimize weight. Use hairdryer to heat it up so it's adhesiveness is at it's max. I use this stuff in car internal and external. Just might be tough to remove ;)

:borg:

I think i did it man. I went to one of those stores and had to buy some anti-slip rubbers for my couch, cause it keeps slipping on my wooden floor in my living room. I also bought some strong double sided tape. So i tried that on the dioders, but it let loose quite soon. So what i did was i put a piece of that anti-slip rubber on the dioder and on top of that the double sided tape and it seems to stick real good now! :)

I hope it's not gonna let loose, cause that would suck. Now i just need to hide the bit of wiring that you can see inside the case. Maybe some black tape ,cause the wood is dark brown/blackish as well.

If I ever get the puck style lights I'll paint the wires with a brown/black acrylic paint.

Question about the Dioder...

How do you account for the wires?

Since the Detolfs are all glass, I'd hate to have an unsightly bunch of wires showing through the back of the case.

Anyone have some pics on what you've done to minimalize this?

Thanks!

I was thinking the same thing. But in alot of pics I've seen the wires are just hanging down the back :monkey1

I'd like to bump this question.

I got a tube for hiding telephone cords at Home Depot. It has a adhesive back and works very well. I also painted them to try to match the existing bars in the Detolf. I should have gone a lighter color. I then drilled a hole in the bottom with a screwdriver(not recommended) and ran the wires from the bottom. I have seen some people to this and put the bar straight down the middle. I like it on the side the door hinge is on.

I also added a mirror on the back, and used the clear tube method to cut down on dust. And before anyone says anything, yes I need more space. I have one more exact set-up to the right side of the dresser, but no more space for another detolf.

Hi all. Great thread! Wish I read it before i hit IKEA today :rotfl

I went there w/ the intention of getting Besta's but I fell in love with the Detolf's instead! I bought the Dioder strip lights in white & multi b/c I wasn't sure about the flat LED's since I had never seen them before.

Can anyone who has a Detolf with Dioder's please tell me where to place the strip to maximize lighting? Top or bottom? Any & all pics would be GREAT.

I need help fast! Please keep in mind I am a nooby and this is my first attempt at a display :rotfl

Thank you :peace

Hi all. Great thread! Wish I read it before i hit IKEA today :rotfl

I went there w/ the intention of getting Besta's but I fell in love with the Detolf's instead! I bought the Dioder strip lights in white & multi b/c I wasn't sure about the flat LED's since I had never seen them before.

Can anyone who has a Detolf with Dioder's please tell me where to place the strip to maximize lighting? Top or bottom? Any & all pics would be GREAT.

I need help fast! Please keep in mind I am a nooby and this is my first attempt at a display :rotfl

Thank you :peace

I don't use dioder's in my detolf but I can say that placing lights on top towards the front of the shelf or more in front of your figures will illuminate them better. You can play with the placement of the lights and see the difference.

I don't use dioder's in my detolf but I can say that placing lights on top towards the front of the shelf or more in front of your figures will illuminate them better. You can play with the placement of the lights and see the difference.

Tyvm :hi5::clap:wink1:

OH you did post here :D
Yes agree play with the position of the lights as it can have significant effects. some figures benefit from full frontal light e.g. reflecting of IM armor, but other figures, e.g. Batman and Terminator can benefit from shadow plays

The best lights to use in the Detolfs are the "Dioder Four Pack".
dioders.jpg

There are four lights per pack. I use one pack per Detolf with great effect.

These are ultra thin, and emit very little heat. You can easily hold the palm of your hand against them for hours :)

They are so light, that mine are only affixed with the supplied double-sided tape. The light is also more natural and bring out more details of the figures.

Here is the link to them on the IKEA Australia website for more info:
https://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/80119934

You will need to check with your IKEA for your local pricing.

Cheers

Just bought 3 packages of these. Once the LED fixtures are in place, how do you actually get the wires from inside the detolf to outside the detolf? The "weather stripping" on the back edges of the cabinet are to tight to fit wires through. Do you cut the stripping short at the bottom or what?

Just bought 3 packages of these. Once the LED fixtures are in place, how do you actually get the wires from inside the detolf to outside the detolf? The "weather stripping" on the back edges of the cabinet are to tight to fit wires through. Do you cut the stripping short at the bottom or what?

Bumping question.

I always assumed you have to fish the wire through the hole on the top that was precut for the optional light

Good point. Will have to check and see if the cord is long enough for that...

https://www.hisstank.com/forum/g-i-...lay-cabinets-have-they-been-discontinued.html

On page 2 of the above thread a guy got a reply from IKEA on this topic:

We have been experiencing a delay with our Suppliers for our Detolf
cabinets in Black/Brown. This supply issue has caused our stores to become out of stock and remain out of stock. We are currently working
to resolve this issue, however, we haven't been given a confirmation
for delivery to our store. We are estimating that stock should begin
shipping into our stores within the next 2-3 weeks. We do apologize
for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Sounds hopeful to me!

The best lights to use in the Detolfs are the "Dioder Four Pack".
dioders.jpg

I finally put my dioders (lights) into my detolf.

I just hated the color of the LED's so I've been experimenting with coloring them. Right now I'm using scotch tape witch is colored by two different orange markers:

P1140324.jpg

The goal is to make it look like incandescent or halogen light. I took the above picture with my camera on the "Halogen" setting. Usually LEDs look very blue on that setting. This is a pretty accurate representation of how it looks in person.

Might not be perfect, but it looks better than that harsh blue light.

Here's another pic with all the lights on:

P1140325.jpg

I think I did a passable job of matching the warmth of my track lighting.

I cut off the bottom of the pic because I'm not quite happy with the color of the lights on the bottom two shelves...

I just got a pack of the multi-color dioder discs...and they seem to be no where near as bright as the pure white ones.....just judging by the pics i've seen on here. ::bummer::

I would love to see in-depth details and pics of how to hide these wires....especially Maglor's setup

I've been experimenting with colored Ikea Dioder LED's... I think they are amazing... I love that I can combine different colors on the same shelves to create different looks...

Batman13.jpg

Batman14.jpg

Batman11.jpg

Batman10.jpg

Bale1.jpg

Bale2.jpg

IMG_1266.jpg

IMG_1282.jpg
[/IMG]
My Detolf Set-up...
Batman8.jpg

Batman9.jpg

Hey, how made it?! You have one dioder on one shelve or....how you can have different color on different shelve?

I bought white IKEA dioder (in shop white of colored dioder looks too cold) and change my old Ikea nom light(photos without other sources of light in room):

Nom:
133deed2b9_81980864_v2.jpg

Dioder:
fe5d7728ac_83568804_v2.jpg

I only must make better setup of top stick...

Last edited:
Back