Lights for Detolf

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Question about the Dioder...

How do you account for the wires?

Since the Detolfs are all glass, I'd hate to have an unsightly bunch of wires showing through the back of the case.

Anyone have some pics on what you've done to minimalize this?

Thanks!

Ya the wires do hang down the back but i made them a little neater by the use of some twist ties.
I will post a pic and show you all later.

Question about the Dioder...

How do you account for the wires?

Since the Detolfs are all glass, I'd hate to have an unsightly bunch of wires showing through the back of the case.

Anyone have some pics on what you've done to minimalize this?

Thanks!

I just bought a detolf yesterday, and their display model had these really nice strips to conceal the wires, but I couldn't find them for sale anywhere. :(

Found these strips at both Menards and Home Depot. They conceal the wires perfectly.

This is a view from the front. You can barely see the whit strip along the back right edge.
P1090557.jpg

Hi, I purchased a Detolf yesterday and also after some lights. I have been looking at the dioder lights from ikea and like the idea of them but not particularly the price.

I found these though and wondered what everyones thoughts are on them or if anyone has them. They are battery operated and they stick on!!!:yess:

https://www.jmldirect.com/LED-Spotlights-3-Pack-PL1805/

£3.99 for 3 from focus diy

Last edited:
Those are probably the best "cheap" solution. They have some like that at Menards for about $3 USD.

I'm not a fan of battery powered stuff, but I though it was interesting that they showed a kid using one as a night light. The batteries bust last pretty long.

Just gonna throw this in & feel free to disregard, but I use flourescent lights in my Detolf, from the local big box hardware ... light is a little warmer than the Ikea dioders, but you don't get the overheating problems that you would get with halogen lights. The fixtures I use are designed for bathroom cabinets or whatever. Take it for what it's worth, definitely not something worth arguing about, but it works for me.

Just gonna throw this in & feel free to disregard, but I use flourescent lights in my Detolf, from the local big box hardware ... light is a little warmer than the Ikea dioders, but you don't get the overheating problems that you would get with halogen lights. The fixtures I use are designed for bathroom cabinets or whatever. Take it for what it's worth, definitely not something worth arguing about, but it works for me.

Thats interesting, any pics?

I don't own either, but I think I would get the LED strips in the second link.

I have a couple like that which I got from Menards.

Yes, I like the long LED strips. They run pretty cool and will not damage anything.

I would only want white. Not sure what the colored ones would be for. Guess it could be cool. :dunno

multicolor is good option if you use it but keep in mind the white in the multicolour is not "pure" as it's all three colours combined and not perfectly balanced and nowhere near as bright as the white only.

^^^Does that mean that the while only ones have a more blue tone than the white from the multicolor ones?

Also, we're talking about the puck style lights right?

Do you prefer LED strips (like you have in your signature)?

Actually I am talking about strips only as I never bothered buying the multiple color puck styles. The strips are more warm color and are good for pictures for sure. I have not opened the multicolor ones but saw them in store and compared there. Still picked up a set as I wanted the red for the Terminator stuff. Also I prefer strips as they spread more light evenly vs pucks being more focused for one subject per light. Btw cooler light as long as not too blue could look cool. I think OMGs lighting is on the cool side and his pictures look marvelous

:borg:

I also got the Dioder, but that was years ago and i used it for somehting else. So the sticky/glue stuff on it is gone. What should i use/buy to put on the dioders to stick them on the wood inside the Deltof?

Its not a lot of weight so standard foam tape should do. Regular double sided might even be enough? If you want a stronger bond I cannot stop recommending 3M exterior tape. It has red lining and the tape is grey and about 1/16" thick and 1" wide.

:borg:

Back