Let the speculation begin - First 2 figures...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whatever they chose I'm sure there will be a hundered posts saying how much it sucks.

But seriously I wonder if they will have any with lights. I think it would be cool if they made some with a glowing staff or sword.

A high elven warrior sounds nice, I might even buy that!

But I agree with some of the other posters, I feel these prices are getting out of hand - $250 seems more than enough for me (in a perfect world...:rolleyes: )

You know it seems that I'm the only one fearing this but I'm a bit worried about that $450 ceiling - at doesn't seem very expensive for figures with extensive detailed armour. Or for a Gollum for that matter, considering the amount of paintwork that little bastard would require. I hope we won't be seeing the characters in simple clothing alone...

Anyway the firt two? Gandalf & Lurtz would add up just fine.

If the prices mentioned were from $250-$450, and the characters mentioned included hobbits, then I would think it's safe to assume that the hobbits would have to be at the lower end of the price range, at the $250 mark. Smaller size, no armor (if in the fellowship clothes), etc. If that is the case, then I would not expect to see Aragorn, a bigger statue with more complex clothing and multiple weapons, to also come in at $250. Anybody expecting to pay the same for Aragorn as for a hobbit is being a little too optimistic. Also, a $250 hobbit would be a risky way to start the line--too many people wondering if it's really worth it for something of that size. They will start us with a bigger and more complex figure like Lurtz or Legolas to get us hooked, then add in the hobbits when we have already become completists. Or at least, that's what I would do in their place.

I'm sure *Lurtz* Sideshow is taking notes *Lurtz* as to what figure *Lurtz* most people are lookin' *Lurtz* to introduce the PF *Lurtz* line. I'm sure they will even hose down the figures with the polystone smell to make sure everyone is hooked. :D

Judging from Brant's comments the AT LEAST the first 2 have been decided upon and are probably well on their way to production.

I really hope one of them isnt Gollum!
My hopes for the first two are
Strider
Frodo or Sam
Lurtz with armour with his bow raised up
Elven Warrior with the shield
and ..............

If SS want to start the line off with a stunner then Theoden would be awesome (can you imagine the armor!!)

But I bet they do fellowship characters first, it will be:

1. Gandalf / Saruman

2. Frodo

Darklord Dave said:
Wetanut got me thinking of what's "iconic" for the line and fits what Brant said. How about a Ringwraith and Frodo, perhaps as companion pieces from Weathertop. Now that would be very cool.

Ding, ding, ding ... I think we have a winner! :D

We can virtually rule out anything that would require the choice of real vs. scultped hair, as this was yet to be determined during the chat.

So Frodo perfectly fits this bill, not only for the sculpted hair, but the price will be attainable to the people interested in collecting this line.

Ringwraith for much the same reason, I can't see Lurtz (yet, though I really hope we do as some point), just for the "hair"y decisions that still have to be made.

*So would it bother you to have some in this line with scultped hair, and others with "real" hair?* :confused:

true

I hadn't even considered Gollum for this line, although it would be a shame if he's not done eventually. He just doesn't have the elements that make the mixed media format of the PFs so intriguing.

This is true Dave. I think he'll make a great piece in this line, and will certainly do well with the treatment though. On further reflection my suggestions (Frodo & Gollum) have one other knock against them as well, as regards the Quarter-Scale treatment. They really don't show off the fantastic size of these items in the line. OTOH, I do expect the first couple to be somewhat less ambitious than a few to appear later may be -- for reasons of testing the waters slowly, and keeping the initial sticker shock down while collectors are still making their mind up about a new product line commitment.

I'll try again, choosing something to showcase the mixed-media and height appeals, and going with great design features over headlining characters. (I think others have mentioned both already, but:) Prologue Elven Warrior and Helm's Deep Armored Uruks with Pikes. :confused:

LOTRFan said:
*So would it bother you to have some in this line with scultped hair, and others with "real" hair?* :confused:

This is what i was thinking last night... how hard would it to use a blend of the two?

I mean, imagine 98" sculpted hair with the very surface having short "hair" attached to the sculpt. I was thinking of GTG's beard... some bristles or something. Anyone think there is anything to this idea?

From what was hinted by Sideshow, my guess would be Frodo and Armored Lurtz.

Sculpted Hair

I've got to "vote" for sculpted hair. Otherwise, I'm just not seeing a manageable way to maintain complicated hairstyles in a way that would look good. One thing I can *somewhat* imagine working in "real" hair is braids, or perhaps beards, but I'm very skeptical of the idea. I know they won't release it though, if it looks bad or stands out in an unpleasant way. So I trust their judgement, and ... we'll see. :cool:

I'm just praying for a Twilight Wiki, flowing robes and all!
praying.gif

That may be the only piece I buy. (I know... I say that now, just like how I started with the Weta stats! lol)

Since there is no articulation on these a sculpted hair and beard could work easily and might look better than trying to do real hair.

I think it was Brock who mentioned there was no conditioner in Middle Earth so all the hair is wild and difficult to replicate with a sculpt. If it's just straight hair it works okay and they've shown that with Elekra. But I don't think that Gandalf's or Gimli's beard would look good as real hair.

I think with sculpted hair you'll be able to get better character likeness and a better looking piece, I can't see real hair working at all.

Darklord Dave said:
Since there is no articulation on these a sculpted hair and beard could work easily and might look better than trying to do real hair.

I think it was Brock who mentioned there was no conditioner in Middle Earth so all the hair is wild and difficult to replicate with a sculpt. If it's just straight hair it works okay and they've shown that with Elekra. But I don't think that Gandalf's or Gimli's beard would look good as real hair.

Those claiming these are dolls :rolleyes: may have even more to balk at; tentatively, my vote is for sculpted as well.

Back