Let the speculation begin - First 2 figures...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another concern for me is the fabric clothing. I just don't think it ever looks right when you see it on "dolls" or Premium Format "dolls" in this case. The fabric just doesn't have the right drape. It's too light because of the scale of the statue so it doesn't hang right on the figure. It always looks too stiff. Can you imagine trying to get the Wiki's robe to look anything similar to the SS statue? Impossible. I think the figures wearing armor will be the best ones.

i agree too that sculpted hair would be better. fabric hair just wouldn't get the actual intended look.

however if they do make eomer, they sure better use fabric hair for his helm! that will be very nice!

noelleon69 said:
however if they do make eomer, they sure better use fabric hair for his helm! that will be very nice!
great idea! that would look much better then sculpted for sure
*sits down and thinks of other exceptions for hair over sculpted*
scratchchin.gif

I've seen some truly amazing "real hair" figures done by customizers and can honestly say that it blows away the sculpted hair version by a longshot.

But, that is the dilemma:

These were one of a kind "custom" figures and we're talking assembly-line manufacturing for the Sideshow products. My feeling is that we're going to have sculpted hair for the majority of the pieces. I just don't know how they will be able to pull off a Gandalf the Grey beard in this manner. I guess it all depends if they can find a suitable material to recreate the "hair" of his beard.

By the way, Frodo would be an interesting choice as one of the first two figures to be done. But it's the $250.00 price for an 8 inch figure that has me concerned. Unless he's carrying a 24 carat gold miniature "ring", I don't see how they could justify such a high price. Then again, they could be making these with a very low edition size, thus justifying the higher pricing.

Frodo and The Witchking in full armor would be my choices. Frodo would be the iconic character that kicks off the whole thing.

I agree that the edition size on the exclusives should be kept very small. Also the exclusive item itself should be interesting and rewarding for those fans hardcore enough that order early and directly from Sideshow. A blue (glowing) Sting for Frodo, for example, would be a cool exclusive.

The next two should be Aragorn and Lurtz followed by Legolas and Eowyn. Later you can have a "wizard wave" with Gandalf the Gray and Sauroman hence saving Gandalf the White for a much later release with a weaker character like Grishnakh.

FlyAndFight said:
By the way, Frodo would be an interesting choice as one of the first two figures to be done. But it's the $250.00 price for an 8 inch figure that has me concerned.
It won't be an 8" figure. Since the line is 1/4 scale, a normal human figure would be 17-19" tall. A hobbit should then come in at around 11-12", or close to the same size as the human statues in the 1/6 scale SSW line.

I find it hard to believe that GTG is bubbling up as the most requested/predicted. I have nothing against Gandalf, in fact he's as iconic as it gets (and I have every incarnation of him there is). Ditto with Aragorn or Frodo. BUT . . .I do recall the fact that Brant stated this will be for ones they felt were under-represented. Now . . . unless any of us were hiding under some rock, none of our guesses (save for Lurtz in armor) would hardly qualify as under-represented. I've seen the NECA GTG, and didn't buy it, because the SS/W GTG I felt was better. Were SS to come out with its own version of GTG, I may not buy it, simply because it's not something I need in a bigger scale. Still, I can be persuaded.

As for the cost factor to this . . .$250 for a Hobbit size statue? :horror :horror

Throw in some armor on a human size figure . . . then we'll talk. Recall too that almost all of the PF figures to date have something detachable (every time I see that Elektra or Leia PF, it makes me wonder what's up that skirt!). With that said, any helms/hats or swords would have to be removable. That fact alone could be what makes this 1/4 PF line worth getting into. That means having the ability to pull off a helmet and weapons from a possible High Elven Warrior. How about a Gondorian Soldier, or 2nd Age Numenorean!!! Elendil, Gil-Galad or Isildur would definitely get MY vote!!! If SS leans more towards armored counterparts of what we have as busts but not statues (those I mentioned), SS would definitely be in the market!

Dang, . . .2 more months to go before we find out . . .

Radagaster said:
BUT . . .I do recall the fact that Brant stated this will be for ones they felt were under-represented. Now . . . unless any of us were hiding under some rock, none of our guesses (save for Lurtz in armor) would hardly qualify as under-represented.

Let it be a nasty generic Mordor Orc. Please!!!! Even Skully would be cool. :stooge
Pick an Orc...any Orc. :woo (Just no Uruks named Lurtz) :D

https://www.nightly-whispers.com/lotr/rotk/theblackships/theblackships33.jpg

https://www.nightly-whispers.com/lotr/rotk/inorcscompany/inorcscompany113.jpg

Hobbits are smaller but the only cost savings would be the amount of polystone used in the finished figure. I'd think sculpting and development costs would be about the same. So I'd guess that the hobbits would run the same price as the full size SW PFs.

RoboDad said:
It won't be an 8" figure. Since the line is 1/4 scale, a normal human figure would be 17-19" tall. A hobbit should then come in at around 11-12", or close to the same size as the human statues in the 1/6 scale SSW line.

My apologies for the mathematical error, RoboDad. I only did a quick calculation for a human at around 18 inches and figured A hobbit was more or less half the size.

In any case, $300 clams for a hobbit figure is way too high for me. The PF Luke and Han are less than that and are significantly larger.

I am looking forward to the new line. Even though the PF's will be too expensive for me to purchase, there are a few figures that I simply wont pass up if they become available. Strider and Bilbo are a sure case and I also might be interrested in a Mordor Orc. Other than that, I'd have to judge on how the figure looks.

If I'd had to speculate on the first 2 figures, I'd have to go with Frodo and Lurtz. Although instead of Frodo, both Gandalf and Aragorn also have a fair chance of beeing the first.

Back