Statue Legolas Maquette

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Though you bring up a good point, the question remains largely moot. Most of the major characters from the early Weta line are unattainable for any decent price.

That's also a good point - there may be many people who have either sold off for financial reasons or were late to the game who would jump on this line. I wonder how many 'new' collectors there are to how many 'old SSW days' collectors there are?

So the Aragorn Production Peek came out around 5/14/2010, and we ordered last week, about a month later. If this timetable can be used as any sort of gauge (and it probably shouldn't) we might be pre-ordering Legolas in about a month or so, and Gandalf looks even further along...

2011 could be an expensive year, better jockey now for a promotion!

The main point of my comment was in relation to Anubis about 'todays quality' and then of course yours woodsy with "I'd say from everything we've seen far "today's quality" is not only different, it's completely destroying the quality of yesterday."

Now sure, comparing 1/9th to 1/6th isn't fair, but from a shipping LOTR pure polystone statue point of view, that's all we have from SS at this point.
Now while the new Aragorn maquette does look very good, 'completely destroying the quality of yesterday' just isn't the case. I had a closer look at my SSW statues this morning in a bright sunlit room and frankly, many of them are pretty darn good. The fine detail in Gandalf the Grey's beard and even the face overall (sure the hair and paint is then a bit thick, nothings perfect), but then you have the detail on his belt, the strap of his bag, etc.The likeness and detail of Gimli's face, not to mention the general clothing, weapons, etc of both Gimli and Legolas. I then had a closer look at my Aragorn at the Black Gates, and yes, the face is very nicely done, fine detail in the beard, tones of paint in the face and I still say it's not a half bad likeness. Then of course you have Sam & Bill, well, enough said, no matter what, SS aren't going to top that.

While my "today's quality vs the quality of yesterday" comment was in reference to the maquette line, it was also made in reference to the only two statues that can fairly be compared at this time, the SS Aragorn maquette vs the SSW statue. My comment was based not only on the vast superiority in the likeness dept., but also the huge difference in the complexity [sculpt-wise] of the two. Whereas the SSW statue is comprised of 4 separate pieces, the SS version is comprised of 8. So yeah, in regard to the two 1/6 Aragorn's now out there I'd have to say today's quality blows yesterday's right out of the water. I've also said, more than once, I do not expect every SS maquette to equal or surpass it's SSW counterpart. As for further comparisons, that's a bridge we'll have to cross when the time comes. :)

Now I haven't mentioned anything about detailing, at least in relation to statues of the same scale. There I think the SSW statues and the SS maquettes will be very similar. Sure, a more skilled sculptor will be able to add a bit more detailing than a lesser skilled one, but surface area is surface area and the limitations of sculpting a 1/6 scale statue apply equally to Weta and SS.

As for Aragorn, I think we'll have to agree to disagree. Overall, I think the sculpt is very solid, but the likeness [and I use that term lightly] is hideous....and I actually own the statue! Mind you, I did know what I was getting into when I bought it. But, I wanted Brego for my horse and rider collection, and I did manage to find one sealed for $120, so overall I can't complain.

9344_press06-001.jpg

And I'd need some clarification on the Sam and Bill remark. If you are referring to the brilliant manner in which SSW was able to capture the emotional bond between hobbit and horse I agree 100% Trying to replicate that would be like trying to catch lightning in a bottle. If you are referring to the likeness of Sam...not so much. The likeness is decent, but it simply can't touch Trevor's fantastic Mt. Doom sculpt, or the SSW 1/4 scale bust.

My main hope for the maquette line is to get characters we didn't get or major improvements on the ones we did (yes, Arwen would be a prime candidate), but other then that, I guess I'm just saying lets not throw out the baby with the bath water and just write past Weta piece's off just because SS are starting a new 1/6th scale poly line that has promise.

On a minor side note, I wouldn't say there is no way you can get as much detail at smaller scales. Now, as an owner of the QMx Serenity replica, the detail on that is just amazing, I go cross-eye trying to focus up close on some of the detail that looking at it from a foot away, you just can't see. But yes, totally different ballpark from a price and production point of view, I'm just saying, it is possible :)

Here's a simply rule concerning art. The larger the surface area, the more the artist can do with that subject. Your Serenity replica may look amazing, but I can guarantee you if that same sculptor had another 10, 20, or 30% of surface area to work with, the amount of additional detailing he could cram in would have you shaking your head in disbelief. Again, don't take my word for it, ask an artist, any painter or sculptor will do. Case in point, my Legolas LSB. Every skin imperfection, every pore [and I mean literally thousands], the intricate detailing of the lips, you name it, it's there. You just will not see that level of detailing on a statue/bust of smaller scale. :)

LegolasLSB007.jpg

Aha, i see now. When i read it i thought you were saying todays sculpting of all SS LOTR products were blowing everything else out of the water, so i apologise :D

As to all your other points, i agree completely, apart from the Moria orc thing :D True, i don't own it myself, but from what i've seen i don't think it looks as movie accurate or as good.

That's because you've been blinded by the bright red emanating from the "Corinthian leather" :naughty

This is where you're going to tell me i'm a Weta-nut but in the case of the creatrures i think Weta are obviously the masters because they sculpted and created them for the movies, so you can't get any more authentic than that. I claim a win here purely because you thought the Wiki LSB was good :p :lol I look forward to seeing if SS do orcs, uruks etc but i don't think they'll be any more authentic. They might look cool and have great action poses, but we'll have to see.

You are correct....Weta nut! :lol

As for the characters, i agree SS are masters of getting likeness right, and if they nail all the characters i'd have to really think about upgrading the Weta versions, that's if i want to sell off my near-complete Weta line, which as you might have seen from my photos, do look good all together!
But there may be some characters Weta done that look better than any version SS might do - Boromir, Theoden, Grima, Saruman, GTG, Gimli are all spot on to me, and can't be changed drastically appearance wise apart from Gondor Boromir, but then it comes down to what you prefer - him in Fellowship or Gondor garb.

Any way you slice it, we've some interesting days ahead. I've gotta admit, not feeling like an also ran [aka LOTR collector] feels pretty good. :yess:

While my "today's quality vs the quality of yesterday" comment was in reference to the maquette line, it was also made in reference to the only two statues that can fairly be compared at this time, the SS Aragorn maquette vs the SSW statue. My comment was based not only on the vast superiority in the likeness dept., but also the huge difference in the complexity [sculpt-wise] of the two. Whereas the SSW statue is comprised of 4 separate pieces, the SS version is comprised of 8. So yeah, in regard to the two 1/6 Aragorn's now out there I'd have to say today's quality blows yesterday's right out of the water. I've also said, more than once, I do not expect every SS maquette to equal or surpass it's SSW counterpart. As for further comparisons, that's a bridge we'll have to cross when the time comes. :)

Now I haven't mentioned anything about detailing, at least in relation to statues of the same scale. There I think the SSW statues and the SS maquettes will be very similar. Sure, a more skilled sculptor will be able to add a bit more detailing than a lesser skilled one, but surface area is surface area and the limitations of sculpting a 1/6 scale statue apply equally to Weta and SS.

Sure we currently only have the two for direct comparison right now, I was just getting the impression from yourself and others that one could now just throw away all the SSW statues and get the new SS ones because today's quality is so much better. To which my general response was, just because it's being made today, doesn't mean everything is going to be so much better then what was made yesterday.
As such I think you agree? Being that the limitations of 1/6 scale sculpting are much the same and we are still talking mass produced products (all be it in limited numbers).
If you want to talk about specific bit's being better, then sure, the new SS Strider has a far better likeness then the SSW statue, so from that point of view, today's quality is better, I just don't expect that to always be the case.
I'm not so sure that the number of separate pieces really has much to do with, other then the amount of polystone one gets. Sure one piece can be made up of more parts, but that can just be because of the pose and the requirements of casting and painting or just that the statue has more stuff added (in the case of SS, the 'sleeping bag', the arrow quiver the box) that just isn't present in the SSW statue. Just it makes the SS one more complex, but given the pose and timing of the SSW one, none of those things would make sense in that context anyway. So not really a matter of quality, more a matter of your get more.

As for Aragorn, I think we'll have to agree to disagree. Overall, I think the sculpt is very solid, but the likeness [and I use that term lightly] is hideous....and I actually own the statue! Mind you, I did know what I was getting into when I bought it. But, I wanted Brego for my horse and rider collection, and I did manage to find one sealed for $120, so overall I can't complain.

Sure it's not the greatest, but I wouldn't call it hideous either. I see Viggo much more in the Brego statue then I did in the hooded preview pic of the SS one. Sure, in the end the SS one is better and in some ways, so is the PF, but not so much so that I want to get rid of one to get the other.
So hard to take a good pic, this is the best I've got and even then, it looks better in person:
2807583809_4629c277ac_o_d.jpg

Still, at the end of the day, everyone just needs to decide for them selves.

And I'd need some clarification on the Sam and Bill remark. If you are referring to the brilliant manner in which SSW was able to capture the emotional bond between hobbit and horse I agree 100% Trying to replicate that would be like trying to catch lightning in a bottle. If you are referring to the likeness of Sam...not so much. The likeness is decent, but it simply can't touch Trevor's fantastic Mt. Doom sculpt, or the SSW 1/4 scale bust.

I guess was generally speaking overall. Yes the likeness is pretty good and clearly better then say Frodo, but not dead on. However, as an overall statue, any single Sam statue in the new SS line, will largely just be a let down.
Mind you, I have that Mt. Doom dio as well, so really, when it comes to Sam, doesn't matter what the maquette line does (assuming they do), I'm already all good.

Here's a simply rule concerning art. The larger the surface area, the more the artist can do with that subject. Your Serenity replica may look amazing, but I can guarantee you if that same sculptor had another 10, 20, or 30% of surface area to work with, the amount of additional detailing he could cram in would have you shaking your head in disbelief. Again, don't take my word for it, ask an artist, any painter or sculptor will do. Case in point, my Legolas LSB. Every skin imperfection, every pore [and I mean literally thousands], the intricate detailing of the lips, you name it, it's there. You just will not see that level of detailing on a statue/bust of smaller scale. :)

Yeah, sure, the more area you have to work with, the more that can be one, if it isn't, then it just looks worse really. I'm just saying that for the same area, if the time and effort is spent, then it is possible to do more then what is usually seen in products produced in a factory at a certain price point. You see it all the time, the 1/4 scale PF heads that someone then hand paints always look way better then the factory production items that the rest of us get. And likely SS could even produce that if they wanted too, just the price would double and next to one would buy any of it.

Just so you can see what I'm talking about (and yes, it is just showing off :lol )

4703292700_2b39eec5ff_b_d.jpg

I seriously go crossed-eyed just trying to focus on the smaller rivets half the time. It's like pin pricks that are actually sculpted on the model and then didn't disappear once paint was applied. Stand back 30cm and half of them you can't even see, even tho you know they are there.

I am still waiting for the definitive likeness on Sam (but I do agree that you really can't top the statue with Bill); the 1/4 scale bust is the closest yet.

The Sam and Bill likeness is pretty solid. Thats gonna be hard to top really.

Guru-Cant agree with ya on the Aragron on Brego looking more like Viggo than the SS hooded sculpt. Owned the Aragorn on Brego and as much as I love it I can see some of Viggo in it but its as close as the strider piece.

So the Aragorn Production Peek came out around 5/14/2010, and we ordered last week, about a month later. If this timetable can be used as any sort of gauge (and it probably shouldn't) we might be pre-ordering Legolas in about a month or so, and Gandalf looks even further along...

2011 could be an expensive year, better jockey now for a promotion!

I'm predicting Gandalf first [SDCC], Legolas a month or two after that, and Gimli rounding out 2010. I don't know what happening with Boromir or Arwen, haven't heard or seen a thing yet. :dunno

The Sam and Bill likeness is pretty solid. Thats gonna be hard to top really.

Guru-Cant agree with ya on the Aragron on Brego looking more like Viggo than the SS hooded sculpt. Owned the Aragorn on Brego and as much as I love it I can see some of Viggo in it but its as close as the strider piece.

Agreed, SS's going to have a tough time sculpting a better Bill. :monkey3

Last edited:
I'm predicting Gandalf first [SDCC], Legolas a month or two after that, and Gimli rounding out 2010. I don't know what happening with Boromir or Arwen, haven't heard or seen a thing yet. :dunno

I expect like you GTG at SDCC. I wouldn't be shocked though if Legolas isn't there as well.

U suck :nana: :rotfl

I don't think we'll get Sam with Bill. I think we'll get Frodo and Sam together, and Merry and Pippin together, with a very slim chance we'll get them seperately.

I don't see them going back and trying to copy the classic Sam & Bill piece. We also saw Sam carrying Frodo in the diorama.

If they are doing a stand alone Sam maquette, I want to see this:

samwise_the_brave.jpg

OK, fair enough. Tho I did say the preview pic of the SS hooded sculpt, better pics will likely be another matter.

And yes, a statue of Sam from that photo should look pretty good, unless of course SS cover the hobbits in pairs.

Well, once we see some in hand shots or something from the Con perhaps (I'll make sure to get pics and video) I think folks will see how nice it is.

:lol

I don't think we'll get Sam with Bill. I think we'll get Frodo and Sam together, and Merry and Pippin together, with a very slim chance we'll get them seperately.

Not according to the introductory LOTR maquette video. SS was very specific these would be single character statues.

OK, fair enough. Tho I did say the preview pic of the SS hooded sculpt, better pics will likely be another matter.

Was that before or after you said there wouldn't be a hoodless excl. and the line was dead before it started.......:naughty Can't remember all the specifics though I do recall you using the phrase " I hate to say I told you so" alot. :lol

Last edited:
Was that before or after you said there wouldn't be a hoodless excl. and the line was dead before it started.......:naughty Can't remember all the specifics though I do recall you using the phrase " I hate to say I told you so" alot. :lol

Well, I wasn't expecting a change 'o' head at all, and I still say that there could be a seem issue in production. Being separate parts, the whole cloak isn't one flowing piece, so it's going to be interesting.

That aside, making the hoodless head the Ex and not the Reg, will mean that Reg is going to be up for sale for ages to come, unless the ES is really low overall. Especially since the Ex took a few days to hit waitlist and we have no idea what the ES is yet, that's going to be very interesting news. So the new line isn't a success yet, so could be a few more 'I told you so's' to come :rotfl

Well, I wasn't expecting a change 'o' head at all, and I still say that there could be a seem issue in production. Being separate parts, the whole cloak isn't one flowing piece, so it's going to be interesting.

That aside, making the hoodless head the Ex and not the Reg, will mean that Reg is going to be up for sale for ages to come, unless the ES is really low overall. Especially since the Ex took a few days to hit waitlist and we have no idea what the ES is yet, that's going to be very interesting news. So the new line isn't a success yet, so could be a few more 'I told you so's' to come :rotfl

You won't be saying that once you see Legolas......:wink1:

Back