Legendary Pictures' GODZILLA - !!SPOILERS!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know if anyone's literally going to say nature awoke Godzilla to come down on them for their crimes against it, I think it's just mainly going to be inference from context or maybe vague implication from Serizawa who seems to be the spiritual/metaphorical aspect of the film. Cranston's character is just terrified of what these creatures mean and he just sees them as a race that could take over the world so I don't see him thinking its nature getting back at us.

So, from that video, it seems like in this film, Godzilla is a physical embodiment of nature, a tool used by nature to maintain order in the world and for a long time he was unnecessary but the testing of atomic weapons wakens him to put and end to that and then the rise of the mutos draws him out to eliminate them and restore balance. So his actions should be a combination of destroying mankind as a warning to stop messing with things, and taking down the mutos to rid the world of them.

Thats a bit star wars-y though if thats how they are describing them. Thats past symbolic. Godzilla has to restore balance to the Force lol. Him being on the shelf because he wasnt necessary is just a strange way to go about it imo. Godzilla being created by the nuclear bomb and then being an unstoppable penance and fighting monsters who intrude on his territory (or just to be the alpha or even because of an ancient rivalry with another species) is ample enough.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I'm fine with how they're approaching him. What I don't like is when they characterize his reason for destruction with things like, oh, he's looking for nuclear material for food, so basically he's starving and he'll take out anything that gets in his way of eating.

Godzilla will be the equivalent of an earthquake or tsunami, sure science can pinpoint what creates these things, but ultimately, they're not constant, some are unpredictable and the end results are the same.

I'm fine with how they're approaching him. What I don't like is when they characterize his reason for destruction with things like, oh, he's looking for nuclear material for food, so basically he's starving and he'll take out anything that gets in his way of eating.

Godzilla will be the equivalent of an earthquake or tsunami, sure science can pinpoint what creates these things, but ultimately, they're not constant, some are unpredictable and the end results are the same.

While I think if that explanation you posted is correct than it is kind of a corny way of running with the 1954 symbology, I do find the binge attacks a bit lame as well. I dont like when they make Godzilla look like an innocent animal. Hes a monster who wants to destroy cities. He knows hes causing death. Thats how I like him anyway. Maybe as a kid I'd be fine with Godzilla as an innocent victim, but in the light of the original Gojira he was a big monster created by man's arrogance that did monstrous things and that was all the metaphor needed. No supernatural additives needed.

I definitely think every time we see Godzilla, he'll be out to destroy the world, kill a muto, or both, he won't just be strolling around or perceived as some animal trying to find its place in the world.

Why is Godzilla considered 'a good guy' in some of those old films? How can he be so? Newb question I'm sure.

There's a few films where godzilla shows up to save he day and then he goes away once the bad buys have been defeated, most notably is godzilla vs megalon where he teams up with Jet Jaguar and they have a sort of tag team match against the two bad monsters then godzilla and Jet shake hands or something like that and godzilla takes off.

Also I don't think there will be any real explanation of godzilla, just assumptions that we get from the characters. If you want to believe what they say I think that will be up to the viewer. It seems like Ken will try to describe godzilla as natures way of restoring order but I think it'll just mostly be godzilla waking up to whoop ass on some monsters that are causing havoc and what ever gets in his way will just be collateral damage. And once the fights over I'm sure godzilla will just peace out and head back to the ocean until next time. Seems like a happy medium between the destroyer and hero godzilla.

Why is Godzilla considered 'a good guy' in some of those old films? How can he be so? Newb question I'm sure.

Eventually the series grew a large audience with children and to cater to them, the stories had Godzilla only coming out when some other monster threatened the world and he'd save us from them.

After 30 years, this wasn't working so they went back to his darker side and tried to mix Godzilla being a danger with him saving us from greater threats and that's essentially what he is in this new movie, he'll be a threat to man but he'll incidentally save us by taking out the other creatures for his own reasons.

I believe that scene was paying homage to Jaws , (no pun intended) so I'm guessing Godzilla intentionally missed that ship.

Paying Homage to me?? How nice ;)

Even in the raw render, you can see he darts under just before hitting it.

That is silly IMO. Why save one ship when he has no problem taking out the people in the city?? That also gives him too much of a human thought process and then you then are getting close to a childrens 60's and 70's Godzilla.

So I hope that is not the intent... Just luck.... If he is a badass through the whole film destroying everything then we are looking at just a lucky ship.

Not that im against either, but considering people thought it was silly for evil spirits to be what drives Godzilla in GMK im surprised they weren't scared of backlash by literally having mother nature be Godzilla's motive. Hes spiritually/symbolically driven by an external force again.

Personally, I dont know why they need to explain Godzilla's rationale. Hes a beast that has been born and scarred by nuclear power. He was disturbed from his home. Why does he need the psychology treatment? He's just a pissed off sea monster at that point to me.

That was the film I was thinking of. No spirits or mother nature please.

... it should not be confirmed as his purpose. Godzilla should be a complete mystery, otherwise it's just another monster.

I agree. Leave it unanswered and let the viewer decided.

Symbolically. Its a human interpretation. Godzilla destroys things because he's mad and wants revenge. Not because mother natures voice talks to him in his sleep. Symbolically--cool; literally--kind of stupid.

yep

Maulfan's sig is beautiful.

When I purchased my rickets I believe the runtime was officially 1 hour and 38 minutes. I could be mistaken though. I was originally upset because I was hoping it was pushing 2 hours, but then I realized how short the original film truly is and I think it's perfect so hopefully this one captures that.

I'm also hoping the DVD has a feature to watch it in Black and White like "The Mist".

I've heard reports that the ticket sites are giving it the run time for Gojira from the re-release of that in theaters, and other rumors that the new movie is 135 minutes.

I'd like to see official confirmation somewhere.

I've heard reports that the ticket sites are giving it the run time for Gojira from the re-release of that in theaters, and other rumors that the new movie is 135 minutes.

I'd like to see official confirmation somewhere.

Well, that's a big difference.

Hmm...I wonder if Fandango's is accurate.

Back