Legend Studios Lit Display case

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw a few sideshow dealers selling them on ebay for $100. Still worth it I'd say as bbts had them for more just to preorder. I just receiver a few myself and had a few lights not work. Just a heads up but check the products when you receive these.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

You did?
I opened 2 out of my 4 and the lights just dont work!
I am not sure if I should open the other 2 or send them back. Any hints as to watch out for? Seems that they just dont want to work. Its a real shame

A hint is if one light is bad then they all don't light up. Rotate them and switch them out till you find the bad one. Sideshow is looking into replacements for me.

Remember that there is a touch switch on the front to turn them on first besides the physical one in the back. Also I was able to use the lights without filling all the ports so I am surprised to read that a broken one would interfere w the good ones? So far I had opened 6 of them and all lights have worked. But they where all from the original batch many months ago

Sent from my MT2L03 using Tapatalk

A hint is if one light is bad then they all don't light up. Rotate them and switch them out till you find the bad one. Sideshow is looking into replacements for me.

How come you got multiple of these!... I pulled a waitlist trigger yesterday and it said only 1 per persona and this one was the regular size. Couldn't find a wait list for the larger one at all.

I pulled a waitlist trigger yesterday and it said only 1 per persona and this one was the regular size. Couldn't find a wait list for the larger one at all.

I might've taken the last 1/4 display case yesterday. I ordered at 12pm. Used some rewards points to get it down to $22 shipped.

You did?
I opened 2 out of my 4 and the lights just dont work!
I am not sure if I should open the other 2 or send them back. Any hints as to watch out for? Seems that they just dont want to work. Its a real shame

I just checked the six in got in and they are all good. You may want to check 2 places. 1) the LEd lights them selfs and 2) the top or bottom light connector bases. Each base connector has a thin connector post for a male/female joint.
Make sure you are not stabbing the thin metal post to the side or down into the base when inserting the LEDs.

A couple of mine would get stuck and not go all the way in and after twisting them around gently they finally went down over the pin and lit up.

Good luck!

Got a smaller 12" master lighthouse put together, testing out figures with the lighting. Pretty decent room in the box. Could proably get two figures in comfortable and not mess with the sight lines on either figure. All the lights were good on this one as well.

anyone elses not seal correctly my front panel kind of bends causing air and dust to get in. This is with all 3 of mine.

The side pieces are about 1/8 of an inch short on the sides. I don't know if that is by design or flaw. If you would want to keep the dust out, you could get some weather stripping and cut it down to very small pieces and line the back of the mirror wall then push the sides against it. It will make a clean seal in the front and the mirror back will blend the weather strip in the back keeping the dust out for you.

Since this is a cosmetic thing the stripping can be cut down to be very small and hardly noticeable but some people do not like having it show in the case.

one of my cases came with one non functioning light. Is it possible to fix it or do I need to send the whole case back to sideshow?

will two hot toys be fine with this? I was debating between this and the G.O.B case on ebay but that goes for almost $200 shipped. this one is a bit more cheaper but smaller.

I have two of the larger sized ones. They are pretty nice, but the price is a bit much considering you can get a Detolf case and add lighting for the same price, which has real glass, etc. Of course, the shelves are a bit smaller, but you can modify them pretty easily for larger things.

One of mine came with the USB connector pushed too far down in - so I had to open it up and fix it. It's actually rather easy to access - you remove the screw, take out the battery cover, and it basically just slides off. All that's in there is a tiny little circuit board, and two little wires going up to the USB connector. I slid it back into place, and closed it up. That part is easy to get to - but I have a feeling that if something was wrong going from the circuit board to the inside lights it would be more difficult (I didn't want to disassemble it any more, not sure if those foot pads can be removed, which may be hiding screws, and the whole thing able to be opened up or not).

The acrylic is nice quality - if you buy one of these, make sure you get some Novus plastic cleaner - you don't want to be using Windex or anything on this as it will discolor the acrylic over time. Novus stuff is cheap - you can just buy their #1 clean and shine, or the whole kit with all 3 products (used for scratch removal) which actually is the best deal - you can use it on anything plastic, from CD's to the interior of your car.

On that note, I figured out pretty quickly that you don't want to remove the sticky paper backing until you pretty much have the sucker fully assembled and in place, or you are going to have to start with a LOT of cleaning of fingerprints right off the bat. Basically, I pulled up the paper just enough on each end to be able to assemble it, and then didn't pull it all the way off until everything was in place. This made it much easier and saved a ton of time and annoyance.

The front panel is...iffy. It seems to rest on a spring-loaded mechanism. I'm a bit afraid how long that is going to last over time. Once you have the back and two sides assembled, you just push the front piece down, and then once it's in place the spring lifts it up and it reaches the top portion and it sort of suspends there.

My one real disappointment was that neither of the front panels I have actually sit flush - there is a small gap there on one side where the front doesn't perfectly meet the back. I think the spring is giving it too much pressure making it bow a bit. This means dust can enter - it's a small gap, and not really noticeable unless you are looking for it so visually it's fine, but it's not air tight. I've tried to come up with a few solutions for it, but nothing I can come up with to press them together would be acceptable visually, and/or would make it difficult to open it up later. I kept thinking some type of clip, but have yet to solve that one. For the price, I did expect it to truly be a closed environment. Since I have it on both of mine, bought at different times, I think it's a design flaw and not a one-off.

The lights are nice and bright, and very adjustable - and you can also remove some if you want. I have all 8 in each one, though sometimes depending on my mood I'll turn on the top or the bottom only. They would be easy to change out for different colors - if they actually made the colored lights available in a pack - it seems so far the only way to get them is if you buy one of the rotating stands. Initially it sounded like the rotating stands came with several different sets of different colors, and I was going to buy them just for that (the rotating stand would not work for the Premium Format figures I have in there). However, newer listings show one color choice - and that's too expensive to pay just to get more lights. They advertise how you can switch them out - would be nice if they sold the lights so we could, LOL.

Size-wise, I had no problem fitting the Premium Format Leia's in there (the white dress and slave). Obviously since she is shorter (about 16.5") there is plenty of space in the top. That said, I was worried that the Slave Leia wouldn't fit in there because of how far out her weapon goes, but she JUST fits in there without it touching the side. Basically, that's the limit of how wide it is - I could pretty much just slip a piece of thin paper between the tip of the staff and the side, and her base is nudged in between the two lights on the other side. I was a bit worried that she would look weird all off-center like that, but it actually looks pretty awesome, even displayed next to the other Leia which I do have centered in there.

To power it, I just got USB extenders ($5 each from Amazon) and thread them over to a USB hub. I love that they are completely hidden back there - I really hate the look of wires around displays, it really detracts to me. The cords that come with it are not going to be long enough for anything unless you just have one and the USB hub is right behind the display, so the extenders really are necessary.

Overall, pretty pleased - but yes, $100/whack with shipping was the most I would have paid to make them worth it. After getting these, though, I did cancel several 1/6 scale ones I had on order - they are only $10 cheaper and so many other options (namely, Ikea Detolf) just don't make them worth it at those prices, even if the lights look pretty cool. I don't plan on buying too many more Premium format figures unless they make more Leia's, but if I did, I would get another one of these if I could find them at a reasonable price. Depending on the price, I might look at some of the wider ones they are supposedly doing, but it's so hard to find information about what is coming out and when I haven't thought about it much and it will largely depend on price.

I give them a solid B+. :wink1:

that is very detailed review, thank you so much, just debating between this or the GOB. The only reason is because I don't have much room for another detolf as this or the GOB would fit on top of my empty desk. I am planning to get two and have ZoD and man of steel actually utilizing their dynamic stand. Just don't know if this can handle them flying height wise.

I have two of the larger sized ones. They are pretty nice, but the price is a bit much considering you can get a Detolf case and add lighting for the same price, which has real glass, etc. Of course, the shelves are a bit smaller, but you can modify them pretty easily for larger things.

One of mine came with the USB connector pushed too far down in - so I had to open it up and fix it. It's actually rather easy to access - you remove the screw, take out the battery cover, and it basically just slides off. All that's in there is a tiny little circuit board, and two little wires going up to the USB connector. I slid it back into place, and closed it up. That part is easy to get to - but I have a feeling that if something was wrong going from the circuit board to the inside lights it would be more difficult (I didn't want to disassemble it any more, not sure if those foot pads can be removed, which may be hiding screws, and the whole thing able to be opened up or not).

The acrylic is nice quality - if you buy one of these, make sure you get some Novus plastic cleaner - you don't want to be using Windex or anything on this as it will discolor the acrylic over time. Novus stuff is cheap - you can just buy their #1 clean and shine, or the whole kit with all 3 products (used for scratch removal) which actually is the best deal - you can use it on anything plastic, from CD's to the interior of your car.

On that note, I figured out pretty quickly that you don't want to remove the sticky paper backing until you pretty much have the sucker fully assembled and in place, or you are going to have to start with a LOT of cleaning of fingerprints right off the bat. Basically, I pulled up the paper just enough on each end to be able to assemble it, and then didn't pull it all the way off until everything was in place. This made it much easier and saved a ton of time and annoyance.

The front panel is...iffy. It seems to rest on a spring-loaded mechanism. I'm a bit afraid how long that is going to last over time. Once you have the back and two sides assembled, you just push the front piece down, and then once it's in place the spring lifts it up and it reaches the top portion and it sort of suspends there.

My one real disappointment was that neither of the front panels I have actually sit flush - there is a small gap there on one side where the front doesn't perfectly meet the back. I think the spring is giving it too much pressure making it bow a bit. This means dust can enter - it's a small gap, and not really noticeable unless you are looking for it so visually it's fine, but it's not air tight. I've tried to come up with a few solutions for it, but nothing I can come up with to press them together would be acceptable visually, and/or would make it difficult to open it up later. I kept thinking some type of clip, but have yet to solve that one. For the price, I did expect it to truly be a closed environment. Since I have it on both of mine, bought at different times, I think it's a design flaw and not a one-off.

The lights are nice and bright, and very adjustable - and you can also remove some if you want. I have all 8 in each one, though sometimes depending on my mood I'll turn on the top or the bottom only. They would be easy to change out for different colors - if they actually made the colored lights available in a pack - it seems so far the only way to get them is if you buy one of the rotating stands. Initially it sounded like the rotating stands came with several different sets of different colors, and I was going to buy them just for that (the rotating stand would not work for the Premium Format figures I have in there). However, newer listings show one color choice - and that's too expensive to pay just to get more lights. They advertise how you can switch them out - would be nice if they sold the lights so we could, LOL.

Size-wise, I had no problem fitting the Premium Format Leia's in there (the white dress and slave). Obviously since she is shorter (about 16.5") there is plenty of space in the top. That said, I was worried that the Slave Leia wouldn't fit in there because of how far out her weapon goes, but she JUST fits in there without it touching the side. Basically, that's the limit of how wide it is - I could pretty much just slip a piece of thin paper between the tip of the staff and the side, and her base is nudged in between the two lights on the other side. I was a bit worried that she would look weird all off-center like that, but it actually looks pretty awesome, even displayed next to the other Leia which I do have centered in there.

To power it, I just got USB extenders ($5 each from Amazon) and thread them over to a USB hub. I love that they are completely hidden back there - I really hate the look of wires around displays, it really detracts to me. The cords that come with it are not going to be long enough for anything unless you just have one and the USB hub is right behind the display, so the extenders really are necessary.

Overall, pretty pleased - but yes, $100/whack with shipping was the most I would have paid to make them worth it. After getting these, though, I did cancel several 1/6 scale ones I had on order - they are only $10 cheaper and so many other options (namely, Ikea Detolf) just don't make them worth it at those prices, even if the lights look pretty cool. I don't plan on buying too many more Premium format figures unless they make more Leia's, but if I did, I would get another one of these if I could find them at a reasonable price. Depending on the price, I might look at some of the wider ones they are supposedly doing, but it's so hard to find information about what is coming out and when I haven't thought about it much and it will largely depend on price.

I give them a solid B+. :wink1:

Great review!

I am interested in buying the larger (taller) from sideshow. Do you know if the dynamic stand that came with the 1/6 scale man of steel would fit inside there? Some videos make me think yes and some no. I measured the stands width and depth and compared it to the specs, but I'm not completely sure.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Just got this a week ago, it looks pretty solid option. A bit pricey if you compare it to detolf but I love it and will buy a couple more.

This is my review on it.

Back