Legend of Korra

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nah, there are were no "hints", they claim there are, but I call BS.

Subtlety is not Bryke's strong side as clearly shown by the entirety of ATLA and Korra, nothing about the characters, plot, dialogue is subtle, nothing, much much less when 2 characters have romantic tension, it's not like Aang saw Katara through actual rainbows, stars and clouds since the 1st time they saw each other, and the way Korra met Mako, also subtle?, there's isn't subtlety not even in the political aspects of the plot, all of the villains turn from freedom fighters to Hitler from one episode to another.

B-but Asami left anything she was doing for Korra, Asami was the only one to ever do that for the avatar. :lol

B-but she blushed... That's my favorite, she blushed because Asami's compliment reminded Korra she cut her own hair with a knife and did a crappy job, it was literally embarrassment, much like when Toph blushed when Katara complimented her.

Their "hints" are based on 2 previously shown heterosexual characters in mundane situations that are totally platonic, and unless you're a shipper or are trying to reach far you won't interpret them as anything else in the established context.

It's Korra ffs, you can't play the "subtlety" card with Korra, a character whose entire MO is punching stuff! :lol

That and the fact that it was with a non-character like Asami, whom was completely useless after season 1, then it became the writers' wild card for them to use them as a convenient plot device, until they realized they could use her to get all this praise for being progrezibe, and surprise, she was still a plot device until the end.

It's clear they released an ambiguous ending to test the waters, and it was ambiguous (unless you were a shipper thus you were expecting it), proof of if is that 2/3rds of the fanbase didn't actually believe it happened at first, and when they found overwhelming support (by Korrasamis and people who don't watch the show) they came out like "Eeeeayup, it was all part of the plan, look, we left hints" :lol

It'd be like if Goku dumped Chichi at the end of DBZ and hooked up with Vegeta and Toriyama said "yeah it was planned, look! Hints!" and all the yes(wo)men were like "ooh yeah, I can see dem clues!" :rotfl

It bothers me not because it makes Korra Bi, it bothers me because neither the characters in question nor the story support it, because in the course of 4 seasons which I watched twice each so far, I thought I knew the Korra character and with that ending it truly feels I don't don't know it at all, that is how alien, incoherent and uncharacteristic that ending is.

Had B&M had the balls to introduce or sneak this Bi deal with ACTUAL subtlety, with a context that would allow that aspect to flow, then nobody would have a problem with, it's that atrocious execution and the fact they pulled it out of their butts JUST TO PANDER (cause they admitted it was just for pandering) what drives me nuts.

Sorry for the wall of text, this Korrasami deal is really tough on me :lol

Last edited:
Be that as it may, they always had a strong connection with each other since the beginning of season 3. Probably even before then. So I guess what I'm saying is that strong bonds can go from platonic to intimate and then to romantic pretty easily. Think of all the relationships you had. At some level, they had to have began at some level or guise of friendship. Also, girls are super affectionate with each other making it easy for Korra to bend both ways.

:lol

Be that as it may, they always had a strong connection with each other since the beginning of season 3. Probably even before then. So I guess what I'm saying is that strong bonds can go from platonic to intimate and then to romantic pretty easily. Think of all the relationships you had. At some level, they had to have began at some level or guise of friendship. Also, girls are super affectionate with each other making it easy for Korra to bend both ways.

100% :clap

I couldn't have put it better myself. There were enough signs there to make it believable, at least for me.

No need for apologies Gaspar. While I may not agree with it, but I totally respect your opinion and appreciate your passion. Whether you loved it or hated it, it is a damn shame we may never see an animated show of this caliber again.

Potato-head, are you and most of the crew working on Rebels right now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I get that, like I said, it's not the sexuality aspect that bothers me, maybe a little, because it does perpetuate stereotypes, my main gripe is the awful execution.

No need for apologies Gaspar. While I may not agree with it, but I totally respect your opinion and appreciate your passion. Whether you loved it or hated it, it is a damn shame we may never see an animated show of this caliber again.
Thanks man, I needed to vent :lol I'm sure I'll get over it sooner or later, but that does diminish LoK's quality for me because that ending just accentuates wonky writing throughout the series.

100% :clap

I couldn't have put it better myself. There were enough signs there to make it believable, at least for me.

Potato-head, are you and most of the crew working on Rebels right now?

Bicoid, I just joined to direct on Rebels recently. As far as I know I'm the only ex-Korra on Rebels. The rest of the Korra crew are now working on other projects. Some are at WB, some at Dreamworks and etc.

I get that, like I said, it's not the sexuality aspect that bothers me, maybe a little, because it does perpetuate stereotypes, my main gripe is the awful execution.

100% correct on the execution... make her bi/gay from the start/early not this way if you're gonna do it... Good post. It was a BS Terrible way to end this series, and the so called hints to it are totally a farce. Don't care who says what.

Subtlety is not Bryke's strong side as clearly shown by the entirety of ATLA and Korra, nothing about the characters, plot, dialogue is subtle, nothing, much much less when 2 characters have romantic tension, it's not like Aang saw Katara through actual rainbows, stars and clouds since the 1st time they saw each other, and the way Korra met Mako, also subtle?, there's isn't subtlety not even in the political aspects of the plot, all of the villains turn from freedom fighters to Hitler from one episode to another.

B-but Asami left anything she was doing for Korra, Asami was the only one to ever do that for the avatar. :lol

B-but she blushed... That's my favorite, she blushed because Asami's compliment reminded Korra she cut her own hair with a knife and did a crappy job, it was literally embarrassment, much like when Toph blushed when Katara complimented her.

Their "hints" are based on 2 previously shown heterosexual characters in mundane situations that are totally platonic, and unless you're a shipper or are trying to reach far you won't interpret them as anything else in the established context.

It's Korra ffs, you can't play the "subtlety" card with Korra, a character whose entire MO is punching stuff! :lol

That and the fact that it was with a non-character like Asami, whom was completely useless after season 1, then it became the writers' wild card for them to use them as a convenient plot device, until they realized they could use her to get all this praise for being progrezibe, and surprise, she was still a plot device until the end.

It's clear they released an ambiguous ending to test the waters, and it was ambiguous (unless you were a shipper thus you were expecting it), proof of if is that 2/3rds of the fanbase didn't actually believe it happened at first, and when they found overwhelming support (by Korrasamis and people who don't watch the show) they came out like "Eeeeayup, it was all part of the plan, look, we left hints" :lol

It'd be like if Goku dumped Chichi at the end of DBZ and hooked up with Vegeta and Toriyama said "yeah it was planned, look! Hints!" and all the yes(wo)men were like "ooh yeah, I can see dem clues!" :rotfl

It bothers me not because it makes Korra Bi, it bothers me because neither the characters in question nor the story support it, because in the course of 4 seasons which I watched twice each so far, I thought I knew the Korra character and with that ending it truly feels I don't don't know it at all, that is how alien, incoherent and uncharacteristic that ending is.

Had B&M had the balls to introduce or sneak this Bi deal with ACTUAL subtlety, with a context that would allow that aspect to flow, then nobody would have a problem with, it's that atrocious execution and the fact they pulled it out of their butts JUST TO PANDER (cause they admitted it was just for pandering) what drives me nuts.

Gaspar, sorry you feel this way. But you're stating things like its fact despite not knowing what went on behind the scenes. The ones working on the show knew Korra was bi a looooong time ago. They had planned it a while back. I can't remember which book, but the discussion has been brought up in-house many times.

Good post bro with good points..

Yeah, I know. I don't think you were commenting on sexual orientation. Also, to put it out there, I'm not trying to attack you or anything. We're just having discussion. I hope. I'm just trying to make sure I'm hearing you correctly. But you were saying it wasn't plausible for these two people to be romantically involved cause of the way the story was written, correct?

Gaspar, sorry you feel this way. But you're stating things like its fact despite not knowing what went on behind the scenes. The ones working on the show knew Korra was bi a looooong time ago. They had planned it a while back. I can't remember which book, but the discussion has been brought up in-house many times.

Were these discussions part of the reason why they went online and off air?

I just don't buy what they're selling, they said it was an idea they toyed with at first, and they planned it since season 3.

I'm not stating things as facts, just the way I see it, not trying to be a ******.

It could've been done a lot better, everything points out to me that it was hamfisted, after all, they have admitted it was done for pandering.

Imo, the perfect ending for Korra would have been alone, regardless of if she's bi or not, alone means a strong female character doesn't need to be defined by her significant other, as it stands right now, if you're a muscular, confrontational tomboy girl and you cut your hair, that means you're a lesbian :lol

Were these discussions part of the reason why they went online and off air?

No. The decision to go online was more due to money & business. Basically it was hard to find advertisers that wanted to advertise during the Korra airing. Most of the products being advertised just didn't fit the "Korra demographic" (ie fruit roll ups, gogurt, stompies or what have you). The majority of the people watching Korra were in the "older" crowd...and there weren't too many companies that aired their commercials for the older crowd on Nickelodeon.

I just don't buy what they're selling, they said it was an idea they toyed with at first, and they planned it since season 3.

I'm not stating things as facts, just the way I see it, not trying to be a ******.

It could've been done a lot better, everything points out to me that it was hamfisted, after all, they have admitted it was done for pandering.

Imo, the perfect ending for Korra would have been alone, regardless of if she's bi or not, alone means a strong female character doesn't need to be defined by her significant other, as it stands right now, if you're a muscular, confrontational tomboy girl and you cut your hair, that means you're a lesbian :lol

What about Asami? She's almost polar opposite in that respect. She's so girly girl. :lol

Yeah, I know. I don't think you were commenting on sexual orientation. Also, to put it out there, I'm not trying to attack you or anything. We're just having discussion. I hope.
No worries :duff:

I'm just trying to make sure I'm hearing you correctly. But you were saying it wasn't plausible for these two people to be romantically involved cause of the way the story was written, correct?

Yes, correct, that's what I'm saying, particularly they claim to have set up clues from season 3 and on, yet the clues are overly ambiguous and contradictory, like how Korra doesn't give a damn about Asami's safety like never.

And to be fair, any shipping would've been weird to me, single Korra was the perfect ending imo.

Bicoid, I just joined to direct on Rebels recently. As far as I know I'm the only ex-Korra on Rebels. The rest of the Korra crew are now working on other projects. Some are at WB, some at Dreamworks and etc.

Congrats! I can't wait to see how this season pans out. Also excited to see the other projects from the ex-Korra crew as well. Hopefully this includes DCAU projects in the near future.

What about Asami? She's almost polar opposite in that respect. She's so girly girl. :lol
You have a point there, however Asami isn't the lead character, she was barely a character at all, she was a plot device whose function varies depending on what the plot needed.

But you have a point nonetheless.

Ahh. I see what you're getting at. I can see how it looks that way. I think its just a sad quincedence (I can't spell for crap) that her character fits the stereotype. It wasn't intentional. Bryan is a huge MMA fan and Korra was modeled after female MMA fighters and an olympic athlete. Her name slips my mind right now. But we had a library of images for her. Her body type and muscles were all designed/inspired by her. As for the short hair, that was more to signify a time jump and change. We toyed with many different hair cuts for her. One of the plusses for short hair was that it would be easier to draw/animate :p

Congrats! I can't wait to see how this season pans out. Also excited to see the other projects from the ex-Korra crew as well. Hopefully this includes DCAU projects in the near future.

Oh for sure. I bunch of us worked on Bruce Timm stuff before and after Korra. :) In fact a bunch of us kind of see WB/DC as "home". We always go back. :D :D

Back