Kotobukiya Ikemen Statues (Male Bishoujos) Nightwing announced

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No one has a problem with women in sexy poses and ridiculously proportioned T&A, but when Koto announces a line of men in a similar style... everyone loses their ****ing minds! :lol

I think it's hot, just like the Bishoujo line. If you don't like it, then you're not the market. Is that so complicated?

I'll buy this and flip it to a homosexual. The edition size will be really low. :lol

What kind of comment is that? Wow...

It's cool to look at female characters in ridiculous poses, but it's not cool to look at male characters the same way? I can easily understand if you don't like it. I don't like most of the bishoujo statues because they, too, look ridiculous. I don't think that these will sell that well to most male collectors, but what about women? We haven't seen a prototype yet--only an illustrated anime image. I'll wait to see an actual prototype before I make my judgments. :rotfl

Probably won't buy them either way because I'm not big on the bat family.

Guys, it's a Japanese thing. If they did Bishoujo then they were always going to do Ikemen sooner or later. Don't judge. It's got absolutely nothing to do with LGBTQ, that's just being ignorant. Ikemen is basically the concept of pretty guy which panders mainly to the Japanese ideal of a dashing male persona. Kotobukiya is a Japanese company (methinks, correct me if I'm wrong) and this is wholly in alignment with the tastes and interests of the Japanese public, and beyond if you'd be so kind. So yea, quit using your Western ideals to judge this line, that's not how it's meant to be done.

Where exactly is the "serious hate" towards the LGBT community you refer to? I see several posts about the pose looking gay and folks stating that this may only be attractive for women or homosexuals. That seems to be fair, honest and true. No one said a disparaging thing about homosexuals or LGBT (maybe the one guy who used the word "queer"?). or are we no longer allowed to speak the truth "in this day and age"?

There isn't any. And Queer is officially part of the alphabet soup now, so queer is good. It's used as a kind of catch all, which can only be a good thing before we have way too many letters.

I'll buy this and flip it to a homosexual. The edition size will be really low. :lol

As someone else mentioned, what kind of comment is that? That is what I am referring to in terms of negative comments and the fact that some people don't see it as even potentially negative says a lot.

Where exactly is the "serious hate" towards the LGBT community you refer to? I see several posts about the pose looking gay and folks stating that this may only be attractive for women or homosexuals. That seems to be fair, honest and true. No one said a disparaging thing about homosexuals or LGBT (maybe the one guy who used the word "queer"?). or are we no longer allowed to speak the truth "in this day and age"?

I can't roll my eyes any harder.

It was a joke that should have been taken as a joke as written. If the motivations of the poster were different, it certainly isn't in what was written. What is the problem with that?

I think the important part of your comment is "the fact that some people don't see it as even potentially negative says a lot". Yes, it says a lot about you. I assume you are young because this line of thinking seems to be mostly reserved for young (and straight, I might add) people. Gay people are not some fragile species that need to be protected from even the "possibility" of something negative. It's been a long fight to be recognized and respected, but victimization helps no one.

It was a joke that should have been taken as a joke as written. If the motivations of the poster were different, it certainly isn't in what was written. What is the problem with that?

I think the important part of your comment is "the fact that some people don't see it as even potentially negative says a lot". Yes, it says a lot about you. I assume you are young because this line of thinking seems to be mostly reserved for young (and straight, I might add) people. Gay people are not some fragile species that need to be protected from even the "possibility" of something negative. It's been a long fight to be recognized and respected, but victimization helps no one.

Oh, you're gay?

I'm bisexual. I don't really find the comments in this thread offensive, but they are a bit negative toward the figures, which is kind of unfair considering the designs are just different from what we're used to seeing. Don't be so quick to call a design "gay," that's all.

I'm bisexual. I don't really find the comments in this thread offensive, but they are a bit negative toward the figures, which is kind of unfair considering the designs are just different from what we're used to seeing. Don't be so quick to call a design "gay," that's all.

I guess "gay" as a pejorative can be debated. In my mind, that's also a little overly sensitive, but then I'm generally not too fussed about things like that admittedly. Anyway, I may have missed that if someone posted it, but I didn't see anyone actually call the statue gay, just question if the market would be for "homosexuals". That's not the same thing and is a legitimate question, even if couched in a joke. Kotobukiya does a lot of business in the West, and we are talking about SDCC here, so it would be difficult to determine who these statues are for in the West exactly, thus it could be likely for these to be much more limited as the appeal would mainly be for their home territory.

That's not really true, I've seen people complain about female statues being to sexy..... Go read the Black Canary thread for examples.....

Wow some serious hate / negative assumptions being thrown around to the LGBT community in here...A bit sad to see in this day and age..

I've seen some terribly over sexualized and to some degree almost ridiculous poses / positions on female statues/figures with no one batting an eye.

That's not really true, I've seen people complain about female statues being to sexy..... Go read the Black Canary thread for examples.....

Yeah but that's different. Literally all these guys are doing is standing there. Most Superheroes have latex suits anyway, so the butt thing isn't an issue. The poses seem flamboyant, which is why people are complaining. It has nothing to do with sexualization in this case. Many of the bishoujo women, on the other hand, have their asses and boobs popping out.

As someone else mentioned, what kind of comment is that? That is what I am referring to in terms of negative comments and the fact that some people don't see it as even potentially negative says a lot.

You're back tracking now. You initially used the words "serious hate", which you now downgrade to "negative comments". Some of the comments by others here may have been perceived as insensitive to homosexuals, but aggressively accusing them of "serious hate" was a serious overshoot on your part.

I live in the Bay Area and two of our best friends are gay and I've never had to pussyfoot around them with jokes. Heck, get a few drinks in them and they are way worse than anything posted on this thread LOL!!

Yeah but that's different. Literally all these guys are doing is standing there. Most Superheroes have latex suits anyway, so the butt thing isn't an issue. The poses seem flamboyant, which is why people are complaining. It has nothing to do with sexualization in this case. Many of the bishoujo women, on the other hand, have their asses and boobs popping out.

I don't think people are complaining as much as pointing out the elephant in the room. And nobody is saying the statues are sexual, they are just saying the poses are gay, meaning IMO only flamboyant gay guys would pose like that. And again there's nothing wrong with that. If there is a market for these statues then cool.....

I don't think people are complaining as much as pointing out the elephant in the room. And nobody is saying the statues are sexual, they are just saying the poses are gay, meaning IMO only flamboyant gay guys would pose like that. And again there's nothing wrong with that. If there is a market for these statues then cool.....

So if a guy poses with his ass on display it's "flamboyant" and/or "gay", but for a woman it's... what exactly? Normal?

Please just stop :lol

Funny thing to note is the designer for this series is a female artist, not a gay man.

I'm betting some Bishoujo collectors will buy these as some of the statues will probably be good companion pieces to their Bishoujos. From the Nightwing sketches, it looks like they may come with switch out pieces so if they have their masks on next to, for example, Catwoman, Ivy, Huntress, Batgirl, Batwoman, etc. I think people will be into them.

Obviously, this isn't for everyone but I think it's awesome Koto is releasing something different that caters to an under represented market and I hope this line becomes successful.

Back