- Kev's SCI-FI Collection & Theater

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: - Kev's SCI-FI Collection & Theater - BIG update

Amazing collection all you need now Is a new desk........

Alien / Full size Seat & Console from Nostromo Mother Room

I know! I just commented on that thread today. Crazy build isn't it? The work on the keyboard and controls was super detailed. If only I had room for that... (scrambles to clear a space in the corner)

Awesome collection, pretty cool helmet !

Thanks! I need to subscribe to your thread to keep on top of your updates. You're making me want to get a set of detolfs.

One of the best setups I've seen here. A few questions.

1. What speakers are you using on your desktop? They look like Dynaudio but I'm not sure.

2. What's the little cube under the Alien spacesuit helmet? As many times as I've seen Alien I should know...Thanks.

1. The speakers are just some simple Sony bookshelfs. I've been so indecisive about what monitors to upgrade to, I've just stuck with these for the time being.
2. The cube is just a 9v battery box to power the helmet. It's done up to look like a little Weyland power-block. With the new gloves, it's kinds hidden back there now.

1. The speakers are just some simple Sony bookshelfs. I've been so indecisive about what monitors to upgrade to, I've just stuck with these for the time being.
2. The cube is just a 9v battery box to power the helmet. It's done up to look like a little Weyland power-block. With the new gloves, it's kinds hidden back there now.

Yeah it's tough picking good speakers. Especially for a desktop. You don't want to go the quick route. And even desktop speakers these days I think should have at least a small sub woofer. At least that's what I'm looking at because I play portable games at my desk. Let me know what you find.

That Alien thing was driving me crazy. Thanks for letting me know.

If you looking for good desktop speakers. I would highly recommend Yamaha's HS series. They are active monitors; come in a 2 different variations of black and white, and will blend in nicely with your colour scheme. :wink1:

I have a pair of the HS5's, and I love them! :D

If you looking for good desktop speakers. I would highly recommend Yamaha's HS series. They are active monitors; come in a 2 different variations of black and white, and will blend in nicely with your colour scheme. :wink1:

I've actually used those before, and they are pretty solid.

Everyone seems to rave about the KEF LS50's. I'd love to try those out.

I'll add them to my list to check out. I'm looking at the PSB Alpha PS1 with sub woofer. That's probably top right now in complete sets. Everything else is speakers and find a decent priced small subwoofer.

Everyone seems to rave about the KEF LS50's. I'd love to try those out.

I saw many reviews on those but they are three times the PSB set and probably overkill for me. This will be for PSP, DS Lite, a few mostly older PC games, and various MP3 songs.

The world of sound is a crazy one. If you get into super high-end monitors, you have to realize most people will never actually hear what you're hearing. That's kinda/sorta a problem for what I do. Im leaning toward those yamahas as a good middle ground.

Anyway, thanks for all the input! It's seriously appreciated.

I saw many reviews on those but they are three times the PSB set and probably overkill for me. This will be for PSP, DS Lite, a few mostly older PC games, and various MP3 songs.
I was leaning towards PSB's, they sound great, but then I heard Goldenear and ended up going with those for my 5.1 setup.
The world of sound is a crazy one. If you get into super high-end monitors, you have to realize most people will never actually hear what you're hearing. That's kinda/sorta a problem for what I do. Im leaning toward those yamahas as a good middle ground.

Totally true. It all depends on what sounds good to your ear.

Are you into sound stuff? I saw the panels on your wall and wasn't sure if it was just for the futuristic look or more. Usually I've seen those lining the walls of those sound testing rooms.

I think most people just want loud bass sound. Or low prices. Like with many things, when you start looking you start to realize price categories. You start to see price vs quality or overall enjoyment. The first time I heard real speakers, I think they were Kef or B &W, and could judge or compare it to what I was used to, I was shocked. It was music and not just sound. It wasn't coming from the speakers but it seemed like singer was in the room with me. Or I was in the game. The speakers I was used to seemed flat, empty, and missing so much of the music. You can't go back after that.

I was leaning towards PSB's, they sound great, but then I heard Goldenear and ended up going with those for my 5.1 setup.

Totally true. It all depends on what sounds good to your ear.

I'll check out that Goldenear. Which speakers did you get?

I'll check out that Goldenear. Which speakers did you get?

I have Triton 7's for fronts, Supercenter XL for center, and Aon 3's for L&R surrounds. They make for a beautiful theater sound, along with my SVS PC13-Ultra sub. I'd like to isolate my 2 channel turntable setup in a separate room and will probably pickup new bookshelf speakers for that.

Are you into sound stuff? I saw the panels on your wall and wasn't sure if it was just for the futuristic look or more. Usually I've seen those lining the walls of those sound testing rooms.

I think most people just want loud bass sound. Or low prices. Like with many things, when you start looking you start to realize price categories. You start to see price vs quality or overall enjoyment. The first time I heard real speakers, I think they were Kef or B &W, and could judge or compare it to what I was used to, I was shocked. It was music and not just sound. It wasn't coming from the speakers but it seemed like singer was in the room with me. Or I was in the game. The speakers I was used to seemed flat, empty, and missing so much of the music. You can't go back after that.

I'm a video editor, so I've used a pretty wide spectrum of monitors at different studios. With work, I often need to make sure I'm hearing something similar to what the audience will hear at home (or on their computer... sadly). Your average consumer won't be watching much content with Genelec 1032b's, haha. Now those are great, but they have a character that's totally different from most real-world applications.

But I digress. There is a night a day difference between basic monitors and the real deal.

Some updates to my little shelf! I'm holding a spot for Neca's new Amanda Ripley.

Well, I guess you'll know where to go if one day a xenomorph turns up at your door. :wink1:

Badass corner man!
Thanks man! I wish I had an acrylic case for my T-800 back there, but the quotes I've received on that size case have been crazy.

Well, I guess you'll know where to go if one day a xenomorph turns up at your door. :wink1:

Ha. You got it. I just finished that flamethrower. It's modeled after the one from Alien, with a few detailing updates from Alien Isolation.

Back