- Kev's SCI-FI Collection & Theater

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: - Kev's SCI-FI Collection & Theater - BIG update

I have Triton 7's for fronts, Supercenter XL for center, and Aon 3's for L&R surrounds. They make for a beautiful theater sound, along with my SVS PC13-Ultra sub. I'd like to isolate my 2 channel turntable setup in a separate room and will probably pickup new bookshelf speakers for that.

Oh, I thought we were talking desktop speakers. Those are expensive for what I'm looking for. But post what you find for your turntable. I need to get one of those myself as I've been getting a few records recently. But they are just videogame soundtracks so I don't need any thing really expensive.

I'm a video editor, so I've used a pretty wide spectrum of monitors at different studios. With work, I often need to make sure I'm hearing something similar to what the audience will hear at home (or on their computer... sadly). Your average consumer won't be watching much content with Genelec 1032b's, haha. Now those are great, but they have a character that's totally different from most real-world applications.

But I digress. There is a night a day difference between basic monitors and the real deal.

Those Genelec speakers are way more than what I need. I don't think playing GBA, DS, and PSP games at my desk require that level of speaker. Perhaps some PSP games like Ridge Racer but I really don't think I should go over $1000 for a 2 channel desktop speaker setup with sub woofer. That PSB set is like $500. I'm still looking on occasion for anything better that doesn't require a receiver.

Oh, I thought we were talking desktop speakers. Those are expensive for what I'm looking for. But post what you find for your turntable. I need to get one of those myself as I've been getting a few records recently. But they are just videogame soundtracks so I don't need any thing really expensive.

Those Genelec speakers are way more than what I need. I don't think playing GBA, DS, and PSP games at my desk require that level of speaker. Perhaps some PSP games like Ridge Racer but I really don't think I should go over $1000 for a 2 channel desktop speaker setup with sub woofer. That PSB set is like $500. I'm still looking on occasion for anything better that doesn't require a receiver.
Another well reviewed, powered, and affordable desktop speaker is the Audioengine A2+ along with their S8 sub. I've never heard them, but I love their look. Run you about $600 at Crutchfield.

Another well reviewed, powered, and affordable desktop speaker is the Audioengine A2+ along with their S8 sub. I've never heard them, but I love their look. Run you about $600 at Crutchfield.

I never checked Audioengine for sub woofers. But I read better reviews on the PSB speakers by themselves. That's why I passed on those.

Putting the finishing touches on a new custom bust. Very excited. I plan on shooting some new pics tomorrow.

Here's a little cell-phone teaser.

That looks awesome buddy. Iv been thinking of doing something similar lately. Love the trooper helmets :)

Custom 1:2 Scale Sandtrooper Bust

OK, time to show off this new fella. I've wanted a stormtrooper bust for forever, and I finally found the right bits to make it happen. Believe it or not, the helmet is from a vinyl kit I found at Pat Catan's. It needed cleaned up, but it's a great score for $20. The rest of the parts are custom, including the leather Paludron and ammo pouches.

The head rotates and is totally removable. The backpack just sits behind the bust, so you can position it however you like. The custom nameplate is pretty simple, but I think it compliments the piece.

Check it out, feedback is much appreciated. If anyone has a source/ideas for more accurate ammo pouches (at half scale) PM me.

How it started:

Final Product:

Re: - Kev's SCI-FI Collection & Theater - Custom Sandtrooper Bust!

Looks superb Kev. amazing what you can ndo with a cheap kit with some time and care. How did you go about getting the leather Paludron and ammo pouches?

Re: - Kev's SCI-FI Collection & Theater - Custom Sandtrooper Bust!

Just a crazy job bro!

Thanks man. Much appreciated! The only bummer is that you can't see all that detail on the backpack when it's in my shelves. Either way, I'm digging him.

Looks superb Kev. amazing what you can ndo with a cheap kit with some time and care. How did you go about getting the leather Paludron and ammo pouches?

The ammo pouches (which are admittedly inaccurate to the 1:1 pouches) are made from 3 leather 9mm pouches. I mounted them together and did some sand weathering. Still on the hunt for something better.

The 1/2 size Pauldron was custom sewn by a costume maker, then weathered. If you're planning to do a 1:1 Sandtrooper, any standard costume Pauldron will do the trick!

Back