Keir Dullea as Red Spaceman

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I beleive that we will still see Dullea and Lockwood. There are lots of factory delays overseas for a lot of companies. I'm sure the bigger companies take precedence and even they have had delays.

I do too, I believe them when they say they secured the likeness rights to the actors.

What I don't believe is that they have secured the rights to produce things said actors do not own: namely costumes and props.

So... are you worried we won't see the astronauts or that we won't get accessories?

So far they have shown a lot more than what they've officially announced. They showed Dave Bowman wearing a space suit and they showed the pod.

Then people started noticing a lot wasn't adding up. They announced that they secured likeness rights from Keir Dullea and Gary Lockwood. You can "check" off the "likeness rights" box right there.

The problem? That's ALL they've actually said outright. Dullea and Lockwood don't own the rights to the costumes, the pod, basically anything that they weren't born with. They own their God-given faces, period.

The estate of Stanley Kubrick. The estate of Arthur C. Clarke. MGM. Warner Bros. Turner Entertainment. The rights to things like the costumes, the designs, basically the whole IP of the film itself are held by one of those entities (or some combination thereof) and what they HAVEN'T said is that ANY of those entities has approved of this product.

To use a familiar example: you don't go to Roddy McDowall and Kim Hunter to get the rights to "Planet of the Apes". You go to 20th Century Fox.

On top of that, there are tell-tale signs that they KNOW they don't have the rights. From the Executive Replicas website:

Executive Replicas has secured licensing with Mr. Keir Dullea and Gary Lockwood to produce the 12" Discovery Astronauts.

Why don't they mention things like the names of the characters or the name of the film itself? Because they DON'T HAVE THE RIGHTS to make figures of Dave Bowman and Frank Poole from "2001's A Space Odyssey". They have the rights to use Keir Dullea and Gary Lockwood's faces on generic astronauts.

But they showed the suit, right? Again, another big red flag is that these suits are those infamous Twinch Squad suits that were customs.

So, in summation:

the license has always been essentially impossible to secure
they aren't using the trademarks (this goes hand-in-hand with the past point)
they mislead people by using a custom costume (one with a checkered past to boot)
there's been no progress in the months since the prototype surfaced

So far they have shown a lot more than what they've officially announced. They showed Dave Bowman wearing a space suit and they showed the pod.

Then people started noticing a lot wasn't adding up. They announced that they secured likeness rights from Keir Dullea and Gary Lockwood. You can "check" off the "likeness rights" box right there.

The problem? That's ALL they've actually said outright. Dullea and Lockwood don't own the rights to the costumes, the pod, basically anything that they weren't born with. They own their God-given faces, period.

The estate of Stanley Kubrick. The estate of Arthur C. Clarke. MGM. Warner Bros. Turner Entertainment. The rights to things like the costumes, the designs, basically the whole IP of the film itself are held by one of those entities (or some combination thereof) and what they HAVEN'T said is that ANY of those entities has approved of this product.

To use a familiar example: you don't go to Roddy McDowall and Kim Hunter to get the rights to "Planet of the Apes". You go to 20th Century Fox.

On top of that, there are tell-tale signs that they KNOW they don't have the rights. From the Executive Replicas website:

Why don't they mention things like the names of the characters or the name of the film itself? Because they DON'T HAVE THE RIGHTS to make figures of Dave Bowman and Frank Poole from "2001's A Space Odyssey". They have the rights to use Keir Dullea and Gary Lockwood's faces on generic astronauts.

But they showed the suit, right? Again, another big red flag is that these suits are those infamous Twinch Squad suits that were customs.

So, in summation:

the license has always been essentially impossible to secure
they aren't using the trademarks (this goes hand-in-hand with the past point)
they mislead people by using a custom costume (one with a checkered past to boot)
there's been no progress in the months since the prototype surfaced

So, whats your point? If we get Dullea and Lockwood, then we get what was stated. Plans for accessories and vehicles have fallen thru for plenty of companies, and much bigger ones.
If you want to get picky, when Sideshow was 1st coming into 1:6 they boasted the Happy Days license. How many of that series do you have in your collection?
You throw the word shady around like your placing a scarlet letter on some poor woman. Maybe its just as easy to say that they're being cautious. And, as said, as long as we get the figures, like Nicholson and McDowall were made, why the negativity?

If we get Dullea and Lockwood, then we get what was stated.

You don't see a problem with saying they have likeness rights and then showing a bunch of things they HAVEN'T secured?

I mean, the title of this thread is "2001 Dave Bowman & Pod!!!!!!" and they have the rights to neither. If they were honest and up-front about what they had this thread wouldn't even exist because nobody would give a crap enough to go post a thread that said "KEIR DULLEA AND GARY LOCKWOOD AS GENERIC ASTRONAUTS!!!!!!"

Hence the shadiness. There is a discrepancy between what they have and what people want and instead of being honest they have been dishonest.

When they show product they actually have the rights to produce I'll be happy for them and I'll even buy them but when a company jumps the gun and announces something they can't legally produce I'm not going to get excited and/or applaud them.

They obviously want to play the "buzz" game in hopes that it will pay off, and until they can put their money where their mouth is it's going to be negative buzz.

I dont care if we get "KEIR DULLEA AND GARY LOCKWOOD AS GENERIC ASTRONAUTS"
as long as the suits look like the ones used in 2001. It can be in a plain black box with the word FUTURE ASTRONAUTS on the cover for all i care. I dont need legitimacy from kubricks estate or an "official Figure" as long as its good quality..

For example:

- Look at the subway "The Screaming" figure, its obviously Jack nicholson as Jack Torrance from the Shining..
- CRM's CRIME CURE ALEX is obviously Alex from Clockwork Orange, TRAVIS BRICKLE is obvious Deniro in Taxi Driver, and they put out Jack Torrance also.
- Brother Productions has recently put out figures for No Country For Old Men, Collatoral,Blade Runner, Resident evil 3.
- Loading Toys has made a Craig, Damon, Cruise, Stratham,Whalberg
-and dozens of other movie figures have been released WITHOUT being official. My point? As Long as the quality is good, who cares if its official or not.

You don't see a problem with saying they have likeness rights and then showing a bunch of things they HAVEN'T secured?

I mean, the title of this thread is "2001 Dave Bowman & Pod!!!!!!" and they have the rights to neither. If they were honest and up-front about what they had this thread wouldn't even exist because nobody would give a crap enough to go post a thread that said "KEIR DULLEA AND GARY LOCKWOOD AS GENERIC ASTRONAUTS!!!!!!"

Hence the shadiness. There is a discrepancy between what they have and what people want and instead of being honest they have been dishonest.

When they show product they actually have the rights to produce I'll be happy for them and I'll even buy them but when a company jumps the gun and announces something they can't legally produce I'm not going to get excited and/or applaud them.

They obviously want to play the "buzz" game in hopes that it will pay off, and until they can put their money where their mouth is it's going to be negative buzz.

Only from you. If you don't like their wording, and we get that you don't, then fine you've played that to death. You don't like them showing things that you don't think they'll make, then don't buy them. Your argument doesn'y hold water and you sound very much like you have a personal vendetta against them.

I dont care if we get "KEIR DULLEA AND GARY LOCKWOOD AS GENERIC ASTRONAUTS"
as long as the suits look like the ones used in 2001. It can be in a plain black box with the word FUTURE ASTRONAUTS on the cover for all i care. I dont need legitimacy from kubricks estate or an "official Figure" as long as its good quality..

For example:

- Look at the subway "The Screaming" figure, its obviously Jack nicholson as Jack Torrance from the Shining..
- CRM's CRIME CURE ALEX is obviously Alex from Clockwork Orange, TRAVIS BRICKLE is obvious Deniro in Taxi Driver, and they put out Jack Torrance also.
- Brother Productions has recently put out figures for No Country For Old Men, Collatoral,Blade Runner, Resident evil 3.
- Loading Toys has made a Craig, Damon, Cruise, Stratham,Whalberg
-and dozens of other movie figures have been released WITHOUT being official. My point? As Long as the quality is good, who cares if its official or not.

This is an apples/oranges argument because Go Hero operates in legitimate channels. Their product is available on store shelves alongside other legitimate product. They show their product at trade shows. They actually secure SOME rights.

That can't be said about the companies or individuals behind your examples. If one of them just put out a "2001" figure without any of the rights that would be one thing but that's not the case. We're talking about a company that has to play by the rules and as such they're advertising a product that they cannot release. They can't get away with doing an accurate space suit as long as they don't use the name of the film.

Basically if someone wants to sue Go Hero and Executive Replicas for pulling that stuff they would be easy to identify and go after.

Only from you. If you don't like their wording, and we get that you don't, then fine you've played that to death. You don't like them showing things that you don't think they'll make, then don't buy them. Your argument doesn'y hold water and you sound very much like you have a personal vendetta against them.

It's no personal vendetta and if they would actually announce something that shows that they can release what they're claiming to have in the works then I'd support them. Again, it's a matter of being deceptive and misleading and that's what they're doing. There's a lot of wishful thinking going on in this thread but here is a fact: they only have the rights to produce the heads of the actors. Period.

I for one think it's pretty ^^^^ty to get peoples hopes up like that.

Whats apples and oranges is whether you buy a figure from a legit company with rights or a company which does not. To me my hard earned $150+ will go to who can produce an excellent fig regardless of credentials.

I agree with this. I've only bought one of those bootleg toys from the small manufacturers from China (it was the No Country for Old Men figure, by the way) and that's not the matter at hand here.

This isn't one of those shady fly-by-night companies. Again, these aren't anonymous individuals doing small production runs in a country where pretty much anything goes when it comes to copyright infringement. Go Hero and Executive Replicas are legitimate businesses who have to play by the rules.

It's not a matter of them releasing something they don't have the rights to because ultimately they won't release the stuff if they don't have the rights. At the end of the day that won't stop one anonymous Chinese guy making 75 figures but it will stop a credible company.

It's a matter of showing something they haven't secured for release.

Ok, we get your take on the happenings.

Actually we did a couple of pages back...

Can we move on now?

Yes please...

GA, we read you loud and clear. Now can you just please leave us to be deluded by the shady machinations of GH and ER?
You're not contributing anything to this thread.

What else is there to talk about? It's not as if anything new has surfaced since they showed the prototypes.

No updates in a long time... I would guess these are not going to happen; at least not by Executive Replicas.

Back