Just ordered Bubo. Did I make the right decision?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was at work during PPO, but I managed to call Sideshow and I got him:chew I love my boss!!!:rotfl I like every little ugly thing in this pack!!!It was for sure the right decision to buy it.:chew :chew

Man I hate PPOs! I made a mental note to remember to get to it, but I got so busy at work that I didn't get to it until now - and he's sold out :monkey2. Guess it's the waitlist for me...

jlcmsu said:
Redeem themselves? :lol DC it's just a figure.

I just think this was a weak offering. AND, whether it's a "figure" or not remains to be seen.

DCFett said:
I just think this was a weak offering. AND, whether it's a "figure" or not remains to be seen.

I understand the offering wasn't what you wanted. Now, to say it's a weak one will vary from person to person. It doesn't make me all giddy the announcement, but the details on the size and from the pics we've seen he looks to be cool enough. I enjoy collecting LOTR and SW. Love both tales a lot!! So I just enjoy it and not get all worked up when an announcement is made that isn't my top priority.

I just don't understand how something that doesn't have anywhere near the complexity of a full costumed figure can cost $40??

Darklord Dave said:
Man I hate PPOs! I made a mental note to remember to get to it, but I got so busy at work that I didn't get to it until now - and he's sold out :monkey2. Guess it's the waitlist for me...

Me too mate. Me too. I totally forgot but thankfully when I woke up (PPO is 4am here) it was still available.

nash said:
I just don't understand how something that doesn't have anywhere near the complexity of a full costumed figure can cost $40??

it's because luke and his buddy slaughtered most of the womp rats in beggar's canyon and so they are rare and thus expensive.

nash said:

I think a big part of the cost is that these are fully sculpted pieces, unlike the Sideshow figures in which its mostly the head sculpt. So there is more complexity and paint work.

But I still would have like it if they kept to the $32.99, but can understand the cost associated (and lower ES).

And for those on the waitlist, I have a feeling with a PPO that took 3hrs to sell out that chances are very good he'll still be around. Especially that Bib even made it to a second chance offer after selling out faster! Keep hope alive :D

nash said:

Well, I'm sure the size helps because all the pieces are pretty decent. There's only 1500 for the exclusive so that will also help keep cost higher and it appears there is more to this one than Salacious and friends. Those are my gusses though.

Thought I'd repost this over here... the word from Dusty:

SideshowDusty said:
He's here, but all the other web teamers (the ones who actually prep photos and links) are off for the weekend, since they work on the East Coast :( We'll have to wait until Monday I guess... but I did just go down and visit the "little" critter myself and I can tell you that he's about 7 1/2 inches long, 5 inches wide, and 4 1/2 inches tall (MUCH bigger than Salacious)... and he's much heavier than I expected! The womp rats are about 4 1/2 inches long (to the tip of the tail) and maybe 2 1/2 inches tall, and the other thing (rock wart) is about 4 inches long.

Anyway, hope that helps until we can get pics up! :duff

Way bigger than I was thinking... and I can see where the costs are coming int.

galactiboy said:
Thought I'd repost this over here... the word from Dusty:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideshowDusty
He's here, but all the other web teamers (the ones who actually prep photos and links) are off for the weekend, since they work on the East Coast We'll have to wait until Monday I guess... but I did just go down and visit the "little" critter myself and I can tell you that he's about 7 1/2 inches long, 5 inches wide, and 4 1/2 inches tall (MUCH bigger than Salacious)... and he's much heavier than I expected! The womp rats are about 4 1/2 inches long (to the tip of the tail) and maybe 2 1/2 inches tall, and the other thing (rock wart) is about 4 inches long.

Anyway, hope that helps until we can get pics up!

Way bigger than I was thinking... and I can see where the costs are coming int.

I know I am in a small, small minority. However, I passed on Bubo. Only figure in the set that would go well with Jabba is Bubo. And he's not worth 48 bucks shipped to me. I can handle being overcharged for Sal .. due to his screen time and coolness factor. But this "blink and he's gone" character is a pass for me.

Sorry, but I don't buy that the size on Bubo is leading to the price increase. These are all accessory-level pieces, which could have easily been included in future figures, being priced at a figures SRP. Bubo is non-articulated as reported, and much of his size is due to his long, yet skinny non-distinct tail. Sideshow managed to give us a huge Mynock for 5 bucks extra. Am I to believe now that these similar non-articulated figures are costing 10 bucks a piece in order to make a profit? No, as someone else mentioned, Sideshow is just slowly raising prices to "test the waters". I am willing to bet that the same Sal monster pack would be priced at 39.99 if announced today. Now, that's not meant to be a flame. They are a business and are in this to make money. They have every right to do this. And, customers such as myself who do not see the value, can skip them. I just get tired of people trying to justify this. It's called supply/demand commerce. They would charge us 70 bucks if they thought they could sell enough to make a profit. Ain't capitalism grand? :rotfl

P.S. Lets not make this a matter of budget. I am sure the majority of us could swing the 48 bucks easily. Just analyze the purchase based upon cost vs. benefit/value. Can you all say that its worth the price? If so, then more power to you. I just can't do it.

DouglasMcc said:
P.S. Lets not make this a matter of budget. I am sure the majority of us could swing the 48 bucks easily. Just analyze the purchase based upon cost vs. benefit/value. Can you all say that its worth the price? If so, then more power to you. I just can't do it.

Thats what makes collecting great.. everyone can get what they want. For me this was worth the price since I loved the entire Jabba setup since I was a kid. But I passed on the troopers since to me there was no way they were worth the price. And I passed on Maul, Plo and Leia just because I didn't want them. I am bummed about the price increase and it will probably make me not get some other characters down the road but the ones I really want I will still get.

DouglasMcc said:

Well, there ya go. For me it's worth it. #1 I want all the creatures that make SW great even if they are as lame as Bubo as some have called him. It benefits my collection cause it enhances it. So it's worth it to me. :duff

DouglasMcc said:
I don't buy that the size on Bubo is leading to the price increase. These are all accessory-level pieces, which could have easily been included in future figures, being priced at a figures SRP.

I guess again its a matter of what you think something is worth, but each one of these took a great deal of time to sculpt and they are each sculpts that won't be used again. Sure Bubo may be a lot of tail ( :naughty) but that is all work that is not going to be reproduced... so the costs are gonna be higher. Also a lot of surface area to cover, same thing with the 3 other creatures included.

And I think compared to the Salacious set you are getting more so I can understand the price hike from $32.99-$39.99. Sure I wish it was cheaper, but I do think with this set we are getting more.

If there is one thing that Sideshow indisputably makes well, and has made well for the entirety of their existence...it's MONSTERS.

Subject matter aside, I have no doubt that these are going to be well-made and kick-ass. They are only interestin to someone like myself who wants to put together as complete a Jabba's Palace as possible.

Acquisition is only part of collecting. Presentation is everything. I have a whole cabinet dedicated to ROTJ, specifically Jabba's palace, because that's always going to be a nostalgic part of my life. All those silly, lounging creatures bring an empty shelf to life.

Besides, these are the BEST versions we're ever going to get of them.

Honestly, I had no idea the Bubo set was going to upset this many people....I do agree that the cost seems $5 - $10 too much, considering Bubo is non articulated. I still ordered him as the set looks great, overall. I just imagine the whole Jabba set up. I also love the cool rats - first time I saw the pic of them, I loved it!

Last edited:
Back