Jurassic Park is the 'Huge' announcement

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If they do dioramas I wonder if they will use scenes from the two books, or just the movies.

I'm not thrilled about this announcement. In my opinion, its a disappointment.

If anyone wants a dinosaur statue, just get the Kong VS V-Rex. It's a T-Rex (basically), plus you get Kong to go with it.

Not to mention its a bad ass statue.

But, I'd be interested in seeing a T-Rex maquette (not to buy, just see what it looks like), overall this line is a very easy pass for me.

P.S. A.I. wasn't that bad of a movie in my opinion.

Yeah, not too excited about this myself. It's not a terrible license to have though... should make for some nice looking statues. I just doubt I will buy any of them.

I too was a fan of the films but always felt like they changed things a bit too much from book to film, if thing had been closer to Michael's novels it would be a different story altogether.

Yay for the fans but I'm disappointed. I won't be buying any of the JP stuff as I was a fan of the films and books but never enough to actually want anything except maybe Hammond's Cane......

Really a Jurassic Park 4? I had no idea that was in the works... maybe this will be another Dinosaur series like the Land Before Time with endless sequels :lol

This is number 13 :google
200px-The_Wisdom_of_Friends.jpg

I'll never understand the people that bash on the "Jurassic Park" sequels.

Sure, they aren't that great but neither is "Jurassic Park".

I'm a Spielberg fan and I enjoy all three "Jurassic Park" movies but in his overall filmography they're certainly lesser works and the problems that plague the sequels plague the original film too.

If you run the "Jaws Test" on "Jurassic Park" it doesn't hold up. What that means is that if you were to take the shark out of "Jaws" the three main characters would still be interesting to watch. This can't be said about the characters from "Jurassic Park". The Ian Malcolm character is pretty interesting in the books but the chaos theory stuff is very scaled back in the first movie and I don't even think the word "chaos" is uttered once in "The Lost World". For the most part the characters in all three "Jurassic Park" movies are just dino-fodder.

I think the main reason why "Jurassic Park" doesn't really stack up to the other Spielberg films is that he was obviously more interested in doing "Schindler's List". That was clearly where his priorities were in '93.

Here's how I'd rank his movies:

Jaws
E.T. The Extra Terrestrial
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Schindler's List
A.I. Artificial Intelligence
Saving Private Ryan
Munich
Empire of the Sun
Duel
Minority Report
The Color Purple
Catch Me If You Can
War of the Worlds
The Sugarland Express
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
Jurassic Park
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Amistad
The Terminal
The Lost World: Jurassic Park
Hook
Always

"Jurassic Park III" was directed by Joe Johnston and not Steven Spielberg so I didn't rank it but I'd probably put it somewhere around where "Amistad" is between the two Spielberg-directed "JP" films. Also, even though "The Lost World: Jurassic Park" is my least favorite of the three it does include my favorite scene in the trilogy: the field of raptors.

When it comes to Sideshow all I buy are 12" figures for the most part. The only other thing I have is the PF Ash from "Army of Darkness". Because of that I probably won't buy anything from this line but I wouldn't rule it out entirely.

Really a Jurassic Park 4? I had no idea that was in the works... maybe this will be another Dinosaur series like the Land Before Time with endless sequels :lol

This is number 13 :google
200px-The_Wisdom_of_Friends.jpg

13th?? Only ever saw the first. I remember watching it in the cinemas after going to Pizza hutt and getting the hand puppets. Think I was about 10 or so. Looks like only one of the original Dinos remains :(

Last I heard the idea for JP 4 was that the military are using the Dinosaurs as weapons or some crap like that. I really hope that was just rumour.

Great announcement.

A T-Rex Maquette, in association with Stan Winston Studios, will be a must own.

Oh Wow...I hope they make scale fossils we can buy and display in a case.
It'd be cheaper to dig a hole in my backyard and find bones.
PASS!
:rotfl

I only wish I could sculpt dinosaurs...what fun projects those would be.

Trev

Hush Trev!! You just keep you head down at your desk and making those kick ass Harrison Ford sculpts before someone hears you.

While I'm sure there will be some great looking collectibles made, just no interest to spend that kind of money on a series that peaked almost 15 years ago.

I think this will strictly be a low edition size line with a mix of low prices stuff but I expect majority to be high end stuff

Weta (IMO) got their hands burned with some of the kong stuff so sideshow will need to get creative & imaginative with their stuff from this line

Im a fan of JP i got all the figures of the first movie from Kenner, if sideshow does it well ill buy some of this dinos....maybe

I wonder what's the difference between "1:1 scale" vs "legendary scale"

1:1 scale is obviously life size or full size.
Legendary Scale is usually 1:2 size
Premium Format is 1:4
Their maquettes can be anywhere from 1:5 to 1:4

This line is definitely doable, a Tyrannosaurus skull is about 5 feet in length....1/4 would be about almost a foot and a half. So head maquettes and such wouldn't be out of the realm of possibilities....

I'm also looking forward to seeing what they produce. I'm sure there'll be some kick ass collectibles. This isn't a license I'm interested in spending money on but the movies were enjoyable enough.

I'm actually disappointed in any new announcement Sideshow makes for selfish reasons. I got my most desired announcement some time ago (PF LotR) so any new announcement just takes resources away from what I want most.

Back