Judge Dredd movie (2012)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: New Judge Dredd movie

the first one is a guilty pleasure of mine too. i don't know any better maybe. it was a great sly flick (i just look at it as another demolition man) but a bad judge dredd film. i hope they make him brutal next time. and the actor has the helmet surgically grafted to his head so he can't even THINK about taking it off. and what we can see of him had better be damn ugly. with a jimmy hill chin.

I think I was in my tweens when the LAUUUUUUUUUUU version came out. I saw it in the theater multiple times and even wrote an RPG based on it using the West End Star Wars rules. :lol

I haven't seen it recently. I'm almost afraid to.

I'd look forward to any re-imagining that's closer to the comic books.

Comic Book adaptation or GTFO

This is the poster being circulated around Cannes.
By Bradstreet but borrowing heavily from Bolland.

I like that! :rock But he should be holding his Lawgiver.

Can't stand the Stallone movie.

New Zealand actor Karl Urban ("Doom," "Star Trek") is reportedly set to play "Judge Dredd" in the upcoming film reboot of the British comic reports Bleeding Cool.

Unlike the previous film starring Sylvester Stallone, Urban's handsome face however will remain hidden as the iconic visor and helmet of the law enforcement officer will not be removed at anytime in the film (like the comic).

Pete Travis directs from a script by Alex Garland which is said to hew closer to the darker tone of the comic book. Shooting will take place in Johannesburg this year for a 2012 release.

Good choice of actor, there. Urban's got the physique and the acting chops, and he's proven he can do the deep and gravelly voice well enough from his stint in the second Riddick movie.

I am now cautiously optimistic about this movie. :pray:

Re: Judge Dredd

anyone who knows judge dredd can tell you it has the potential for an awesome film is source material is respected

Re: Judge Dredd

anyone who knows judge dredd can tell you it has the potential for an awesome film is source material is respected

i've read every dredd comic, still have most of em (what got me into dark horse really), and i'm not interested one bit in Urban playing Dredd. awful choice.

A few weeks back, there were murmurings out of Comic-Con that the new Judge Dredd had been cast and that it would be none other than New Zealand's own Karl Urban ("Bones" McCoy from Star Trek with upcoming comic movies Red and Priest). Empire Online has gotten confirmation from the film's producers Andrew MacDonald and Allon Reich, who were asked about it during a Q 'n' A at the first Movie-Con, currently taking place in London. MacDonald confirmed the casting reported as a scoop by Bleeding Cool's Rich Johnston last month.

Here's what else MacDonald said about the project during the Q 'n' A:

“The main thing about Dredd is that it’s a fantastic comic that was completely messed up 20 years ago. Our idea is to make a very hard, R-rated, gritty, realistic movie of Dredd in Megacity, so we’ve got to get the tone right. He’s not going to take off his helmet. His bike is going to feel real. He’s going to hit people and it’s going to feel real. There’s been a change in comic-book movies; they were treated unseriously and now they’re treated seriously."

Director Pete Travis (Vantage Point) will begin shooting Judge Dredd in Johannesburg, South Africa with the same people who made Neill Blomkamp's District 9 later this year.

“The main thing about Dredd is that it’s a fantastic comic that was completely messed up 20 years ago. Our idea is to make a very hard, R-rated, gritty, realistic movie of Dredd in Megacity, so we’ve got to get the tone right. He’s not going to take off his helmet. His bike is going to feel real. He’s going to hit people and it’s going to feel real. There’s been a change in comic-book movies; they were treated unseriously and now they’re treated seriously."

:hi5::hi5::hi5::hi5:

I can't help but feel as though '300' was the movie that made this happen.

I hope they take it seriously.

I didn't hate the Stallone movie. I liked the look of it but the story was weak.

They chose the wrong storyline to introduce the character to the masses. You NEVER start off a comic book property with a storyline that delves deeply into a character's origin; you start with a typical one on one conflict.

In Dredd's case, they'd have been better off doing a Dark Judges (or at least Judge Death) story than the Rico story they chose, which was lame even in the comics. Give us Necropolis. Or the Cursed Earth.

Olivia Thirlby ("Juno") has scored the role of Cassandra Anderson in the upcoming 3D reboot of "Judge Dredd" for DNA Films reports Variety.

The character is described as a 'telepathic rookie who shadows Dredd' in this $45 million futuristic neo-noir comic book adaptation starring Karl Urban as the enforcer delivering justice to the streets of Mega-City One.

IM Global has just released an official synopsis on the eve of the Toronto Film Festival where it will be selling the film rights next week and hints that Mega City One is "the lone oasis of quasi-civilization on Cursed Earth" while Dredd "is the most feared of elite Street Judges, with the power to enforce the law, sentence offenders and execute them on the spot - if necessary." Tone wise it says this will be a return to the "dark, visceral incarnation" of the character seen in the comic.

Pete Travis ("Vantage Point," "Omagh") directs from a script by Alex Garland ("Sunshine," "28 Days Later"). Shooting kicks off in South Africa later this year.

this will be a return to the "dark, visceral incarnation" of the character seen in the comic.

judge-dredd-simon-bisley.jpg

Back