James Cameron's AVATAR discussion thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: AVATAR

More like Water World, The Post Man, Alexander, Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within, Last Action Hero, Poseidon, Showgirls, Wyatt Earp, Titan A.E. etc.

I was being facetious since a lot of people considererd Titanic to be an overly abitious prestige picture that would flop.

I've spoken with several people who have worked on the film (Rick Carter, Jordu Schell and Richie Baneham) and they all believe this film will blow people away.

cr' please read my post properly.

i'm not dismissing anything. i said it won't do those numbers UNLESS it transcends its existence as a "mere" movie and becomes a pop culture phenomenon. and i never said avatar couldn't.

it's just that these sort of phenoms only come once in a rare while. which is great. makes it all the more special. :D

ok, got you. :) but no matter how much avatar will gross, i believe it will become a pop culture phenom. the man is planning something huge. he already has story ideas for movie 2 and 3. this will be his LOTR, his starwars.

More like Water World, The Post Man, Alexander, Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within, Last Action Hero, Poseidon, Showgirls, Wyatt Earp, Titan A.E. etc.

Exactly. More often than not these bloat-budgeted behemoths end up a more tragically dramatic story than the story they actually tell.

Titanic was the exception, not the rule. It made girls into women, apparently (thank you, Leo Dicaprio). Unrelated story, my mom went to see the damn flick 3 times with me in tow for one instance. Oh well, I got to see Kate Winslet's boob.

ok, got you. :) but no matter how much avatar will gross, i believe it will become a pop culture phenom. the man is planning something huge. he already has story ideas for movie 2 and 3. this will be his LOTR, his starwars.

hmmm. i was not aware of that. i always thought he'd be doing "battle angel" after this. just as long as he continues making more movies and NOT more of his underwater docs (which were fine but it's not what we really want from cameron!), us geeks should be happy...

except that "overly ambitious prestige projects" is cameron's forte. you can say that for all his films. and so far, he's 6 for 6. none of the directors who made the above films have cameron's track record.

hmmm. i was not aware of that. i always thought he'd be doing "battle angel" after this. just as long as he continues making more movies and NOT more of his underwater docs (which were fine but it's not what we really want from cameron!), us geeks should be happy...

it seems he's doing alita first after this, but the current plan is to create new franchises in both avatar and alita. he's doing big budget sci-fi back to back to back.

Most anticipated this year.

I expect Potter and Transformers 2 to be solid too, but I am especially anxious for a genre flick that's actually original. Avatar and District 9 are high on my list.

EVERYTHING has been a retread/reboot/based on/etc. so far this year. Watchmen, Star Trek, Terminator: Salv. (ugh)

Last edited:

except that "overly ambitious prestige projects" is cameron's forte. you can say that for all his films. and so far, he's 6 for 6. none of the directors who made the above films have cameron's track record.

I totally agree with this statement. I'm ALWAYS interested when Cameron puts something together because you know it will be special.

it seems he's doing alita first after this, but the current plan is to create new franchises in both avatar and alita. he's doing big budget sci-fi back to back to back.

"back to back"? cameron??? mr. james-over-a-decade-between-movies-cameron? hahaha! :rotfl

well, if its true i'll be more than happy. abt friggin time too.

i thought i could stay spoiler free, but it's hard not to click on any avatar link. let's see if you could resist it better than me.

None of those was directed by someone with Cameron's pedigree.

Oh, and WYATT EARP is great. A better film than TOMBSTONE, in fact.

Back