Premium Format Jack Sparrow Pirate of Caribbean on Stranger Tides Premium Format Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The more pics I see, the better and better he keeps looking. :clap

Agreed, the first pics I saw yesterday were a bit of a disappointment since I found the pose a bit awkward, but it's really growing on me. And I love that it has the coat and hat. That's what I was hoping for! :hi5:

I held off on the first one because I wasn't totally sold on the sculpt/pose, but this dynamic one looks pretty cool IMO. I do think that the sword should be pointing up as though he's trying to defend his face rather than pointing down, but I guess he's climbing the stairs...

Wonder if the EX will have switch out hands to have him holding both flintlocks instead of the sword option. Or some hand options NOT holding weapons (or holding the compass?)

Might just bit on this one to have a 1/4 Jack in the collection...

They still can't get Depp's likeness right. Is it a license issue or something?

IMG_0387.jpg

I don't get it.

I have the first Premium Format and have to say the likeness is more Johnny Depp than compared to this new one. I really dont think it looks like Johnny Depp at all if you ask me. The actual pose and base i am delighted but from where i stand i would love to have my original Jack Sparrow's face scuplt but with the pose and base of this new one! :pray:

one thing I'm happy to see is that someone finally got Jack's jacket right. HT, Medicom and the UU fiure all have wrong jackets

one thing I'm happy to see is that someone finally got Jack's jacket right. HT, Medicom and the UU fiure all have wrong jackets

Jacket is one thing but c'mon, get the sculpt right! His face is way too round for starters and just doesnt portray Depp at all, it looks like someone who is trying to look like Depp IMO....such a shame as its a beautifull statue :exactly:

I agree aboutt he sculpt, just figured I'd put in something positive about this piece is all :)

but it definitley looks like a stylized artbook kind of take to Depp as Sparrow

They still can't get Depp's likeness right. Is it a license issue or something?

IMG_0387.jpg

I don't get it.

The main thing 'throwing off' Depp's likeness here is the existence of the Hot Toys DX figure.

If that figure didn't exist and we could only compare to older Hot Toys figures, previous PF and Medicom, then right now everyone would be feinting and screaming how awesome this is. :panic:

....but since I (and probably most Pirates fans) have 1/6 DX Jack on the shelf - with TWO 10/10 sculpts, generally considered the very best ever produced - then this statue is really struggling by comparison.

DX Jack is the only 1/6 I have on display now and looks odd next to all my 1/4 PFs ....but I'm not sure if I can upgrade size while downgrading likeness :rotfl

The main thing 'throwing off' Depp's likeness here is the existence of the Hot Toys DX figure.

If that figure didn't exist and we could only compare to older Hot Toys figures, previous PF and Medicom, then right now everyone would be feinting and screaming how awesome this is. :panic:

That could be it, I don't know. The clothing looks fantastic. I don't love the pose, something about leaning like that with both weapons looks more awkward than dynamic. But at least I appreciate them going for something different, pose why.

But I just don't like the face at all.

I had the original and I said before that the sculpt was about 75% Depp. Id say from the pictures this one is about 85% Depp... closer but not quite there yet.

Yeah something really weird is going on with his hair. It is hard not to notice too.

I used to own the first one, I think its much better than this new one.
The pose, accesories, flickering light lamp, etc, the first one is sweet and I still miss it sometimes.
I think a repaint would have brought it to another level.

this new one looks cartoonish, awkward.
The only nice thing about it is the coat and hat.

I used to own the first one, I think its much better than this new one.
The pose, accesories, flickering light lamp, etc, the first one is sweet and I still miss it sometimes.
I think a repaint would have brought it to another level.

this new one looks cartoonish, awkward.
The only nice thing about it is the coat and hat.

:exactly:

Agreed good sir. Like I said I'm my earlier post, this looks like a stylized cartoon/art book kind of version of Depl as Sparrow to me. Only wish we could get a jacket like this in 1/6 :monkey2

In regard to the first PF, again, agreed. I really wanted to buy just to repaint it and weather up the clothes. Was also goin to take off the rings and black band on the left arm that SS gave him to make him into a Definitive COTBP Jack Sparrow, then probably sell him off unless I liked the end result too much to sell :lol

I think the first PF has an awesome design. I love how they did the diorama, but in all honesty I think the paint applications from what I have seen, specifically on the head sculpt, really bring the statue down from the complete greatness it should have. This statue however will likely have more modern detailed paint applications or at least I would hope so.

Back