J.J. Abrams' Super 8

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I get why they did it...there's just a part of me that misses the creative ways directors told stories when their effects were limited by the absence of cgi. Made things more mysterious and left more up to our imaginations.

gotcha. good point.

This movie really took me back to the days of CE3K all the way to "Explorers"...

That was a magical time... until the style and formula became so overused and stale it wound up culminating in "Batteries Not Included" (which I consider the end of the era).

They don't make 'em like they used too.... very often.

Saw it tonight. Really liked it. It reminded me of Goonies, which is definitely a good thing.

It was nice to see a film with a bunch of kids as the main characters without it feeling silly or childish.

I was disappointed to learn this isn't an official poster - it's a fan made Struzan-inspired piece. Really well done, IMO

Super8poster.jpg

That poster there is better than the movie. LOL

Saw it earlier tonight. 5/10 The masses will love it and it'll make a zillion dollars. It's amazing the movies people fall in love with. You know, CGI can be a real crutch. I did think the train wreck was fun. Could've waited for Red Box on this one.

I really do like that movie poster version though.

BB

I thought the kids making a movie story was really fun and engaging, but
Spoiler Spoiler:

Spoiler Spoiler:

That poster there is better than the movie. LOL

Saw it earlier tonight. 5/10 The masses will love it and it'll make a zillion dollars. It's amazing the movies people fall in love with. You know, CGI can be a real crutch. I did think the train wreck was fun. Could've waited for Red Box on this one.

I really do like that movie poster version though.

BB

I don't get this post. It sounds like you're describing Transformers 3 or something.

I though Super 8 was very restrained in terms of CGI use. We didn't really even see the creature until 3/4 of the way in. Didn't think the CGI was used as a crutch at all. The film was solidly built on the story/human drama. The creature and Sci-Fi elements were almost an after-thought. :dunno

I saw it. Enjoyed it. Will likely never watch it again.

I did get the Goonies vibe too... which was one of the best aspects of the film imo.

Saw this movie yesterday, really enjoyed it. Enjoyed it enough to not let the things others are having problems with ruin it for me. But yeah it was deffinately the Goonies had sex with ET and turned that s__t up to 11 for the modern audience. It was fun and I loved the Tom Petty looking kid.

Saw this movie yesterday, really enjoyed it. Enjoyed it enough to not let the things others are having problems with ruin it for me. But yeah it was deffinately the Goonies had sex with ET and turned that s__t up to 11 for the modern audience. It was fun and I loved the Tom Petty looking kid.

that's hilarious! I was calling him the "Tom Petty" kid too!!:D

Spoiler Spoiler:
I dont think the Alien really cared...up until Joe, because Joe actually stood up to the thing. He didnt run away in terror like the rest of them.

But still, the Alien is kind of a bastard, and we werent really ment to root for it, but at the same time, we're ment to feel empathy for it.

Seen this today and it was great.

The movie making remind me of CelticP. :lol

:lol:1-1:

I dont think the Alien really cared...up until Joe, because Joe actually stood up to the thing. He didnt run away in terror like the rest of them.

But still, the Alien is kind of a bastard, and we werent really ment to root for it, but at the same time, we're ment to feel empathy for it.

:exactly: :lecture :lecture :lecture

Yes, The Thing and Close Encounters do have flares, but they're not as deliberate or intrusive in the way Abrams uses them. Even if there aren't any direct lights showing in the scene you can see these huge blue streaks that go all across the screen.

Every director needs a trademark, or style...

Sam Raimi does the crazy camera angles, and the first person camera attack.

Michael Bay does the 360 shots, the crane shots, the high contrasted stylized look.

Zack Snyder does the slow motion, high contrast.

Martin Scorsese does the zoom on objects, and the long shots.

Spielberg does slow, and wide shots.

And J.J. Abrams does the loose camera angles, and lens flares.

You can watch any one of their movies, and just know who directed them.

Which I love.

Every director needs a trademark, or style...

Sam Raimi does the crazy camera angles, and the first person camera attack.

Michael Bay does the 360 shots, the crane shots, the high contrasted stylized look.

Zack Snyder does the slow motion, high contrast.

Martin Scorsese does the zoom on objects, and the long shots.

Spielberg does slow, and wide shots.

And J.J. Abrams does the loose camera angles, and lens flares.

You can watch any one of their movies, and just know who directed them.

Which I love.

No ____?! Really? Please tell me more about directing! :pray:

Back