J.J. Abrams' Super 8

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saw this this morning. It was really good. I think this was definately a film about JJ Abram's childhood and his love for movie making and monsters. My dad was the same way and he totally loved this too because he completely related to the kids. He described it as ET meets the Goonies mets Jurassic Park. I think more Godzilla than Jurassic Park, but there was one scene in particular that really reminded him of JP. Either that or he just had Spielberg on the brain :lol

The monster is another new, creative looking creature like Cloverfield. So thats nice we get another beast that looks different from the man-in-a-suit look.

Its a solid 3 1/2 out of 4 stars IMO. Go see it next week guys!

Hmm I see. Ok, will go watch this too.

Thanks! :wink1:

Throwing down my first 10/10 rating for a film this year with Super 8. It works as a terrific homage to Spielberg and the '80s but what really made it supremely fantastic for me was the absolutely pitch perfect character development and the Abramsesque wonderment, mystery, horror, and awesomeness of the thing. We used to call it Spielbergian now its Abramsesque. This is why I keep coming back to Fringe week after week and calling it the best thing the networks are offering us these days outside of cable and the BBC. And why I kept coming back to Lost week after week and why J.J.'s Star Trek was the next best thing since sliced bread in my book and made me again realize why seasons 1 and 2 of the original Star Trek is the greatest Trek EVER! Abrams is the man like Spielberg was in the '70s and '80s. As the poster said in Joe's room, Keep On Truckin' J.J.

SUPER 8 .... Was A Throwback to The Magic Of Movies!...... Thrilling, Scary, Funny, Sweet, Exiting...... Just Awesome .... Loved It! A Perfect Hybrid Off JJ Abrams Sensibilities and Spielberg Nostalgia!...._

Filthy mouth? They bearly made it past ****....14 year olds go way past ____.

Those kids cursed a LOT. It was appropriate but they did say holy____, sh__, d_ck, pu__y. That stoner kid dropped an f-bomb, too.

But whatever. I've seen Pirates, Thor, X-Men and Super 8 this summer and Super 8 is easily my favorite. Much as I love comics it's nice to see some original characters and some real emotion, even if the story is familiar.

7.5/10

Spoiler:

Monster was a letdown, not innovative and modernly predictable. Otherwise decent flick.

I thought it was great. It did feel like a Spielberg movie from the 70s or 80s without feeling like a ripoff.

I was the same age as those kids in 1979, so I was really able to connect with it. There were so many things in their rooms that I recognized from when I was a kid. Except that I had a lot more SW stuff. And I loved that they mentioned D!ck Smith's Do-It-Yourself Monster Make-Up, and that they actually used it. The zombie movie was awesome! :lol

My one gripe is Abrams' stupid use of lens flares. I actually thought they worked well in Star Trek, here they were unnecessary distraction.

I also thought the score was a little underwhelming. It wasn't bad, but afterward I couldn't remember any of it.

Back