J.J. Abrams' Star Trek Into Darkness

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: J.J. Abrams' Star Trek 2

I thought TNG was one of the best shows ever made. The writing was top notch. Character development was fantastic. The TNG movies though, for the most part, were terrible. First Contact had moments, but never came close to what made the show so good. Star Trek 1-4, and 6 were great, in particular 1, 2 and 6.

I'm not a Trekkie, but I feel pretty much the same. Thought the TV show was great. I feel like they took the best things that were developed for ST II and expanded on it: the more militaristic and professional procedures of the crew, as opposed to the more loose nature of the original series. But I was mostly disappointed by the TNG movies. I was really bothered that they tried to make Picard such an "action hero", which partially took away what I felt was one of the stronger aspects of the TNG show: the teamwork. The crew really felt like a team and that everyone had an important role to fill. Picard was a true Captain who used his intelligence to outwit and defeat the threats they encountered by delegating commands to his able crew. It wasn't the Picard/Data action hour, like the movies turned it into.

I like Generations for what it was - the studio mandated getting Kirk in, and destroying the Enterprise. Those are the two parts I don't like about the script; I think it would have been stronger if it was just the Enterprise facing off against Soran. I love the continuity between it and the series, with Lursa and B'Etor, Guinan's involvement, and Data's emotion chip - but you didn't have to watch the series to appreciate them, either. I'm not a huge fan of the decision on the mixed uniforms and not restoring the bridge to it's original shape after the alterations made in "All Good Things." Going all-DS9 on the uniforms would have been better. And IF the D was never destroyed, then the changes to the Bridge would have been a nice nod to the continuity in "All Good Things," except...BOOM.

I have to give them Kudos on the lighting in that movie, too. It genuinely is the prettiest lit (if not making the most sense) of all the Trek movies thus far.

Oh man, torn on those - may have to pick them up, once all are completed........

Ironically, I own the originals on standard dvd and blu, and the complete ENTERPRISE series on dvd - found it cheap and later two seasons got much better, IMO. No TNG or Ds9; Voyager doesnt exist to me, hate that one!!!!!!!

Would love a new Star Trek show one of these days though!

I read somewhere, long time ago it seems, that the villain was going to be one of 5 TOS villains. If I remember I think it was Trelaine, Mudd, Khan, the "living" rock (Gorta)? and one more, can't remember. I wonder is they stuck to that or if they have imagined a new villain?

Oh I hope it's not Mud.......please no! :monkey4

Oh I hope it's not Mud.......please no! :monkey4

800px-harcourt-fenton-mudd-2266_480_poster.jpg

Ugh....if it is him, I wonder who they'd cast for the part?

CoverPage001.jpg

But that didn't work out, so they hired:

be-704386720.jpg

Although I don't know if that's really the character they were casting for. I have a hard time thinking of which Trek characters could potentially be played by both of those actors.

Well producer Bryan Burk said:

There are amazing villains throughout the Star Trek universe, as well as new villains as we did in the last film. There are a lot of directions we can go in the film and in this particular case we chose to do something that would be original and unique and different and again on paper I think we made the right choice.
So... :dunno

They should've introduced Gary Mitchell in the first as Kirks buddy at the academy and have them both on the Enterprise in the second when Mitchell goes a powerful and nutty, it would add drama for Kirk, if Pine could do drama :lol

The Abrams Trek made me go back and watch TOS and the movies, so now I'm going through TNG and then I'll watch those movies as well. I was surprised how different the characters were. I think if I were a long time fan I would have been annoyed and would have preferred to see a new movie series with all new characters. Why not, the names are basically all the characters have in common with their predecessors.

I'm excited to see the new movie.

CoverPage001.jpg

But that didn't work out, so they hired:

be-704386720.jpg

Although I don't know if that's really the character they were casting for. I have a hard time thinking of which Trek characters could potentially be played by both of those actors.

Top: Khan
Bottom: Trelaine

I can't see them playing the same role at all! Waaaaay too different!

Top: Khan
Bottom: Trelaine

I can't see them playing the same role at all! Waaaaay too different!

I am without a doubt looking forward to Benedict Cumberbatch in the new Trek but I am also very, very much perturbed now as well. He's going to be tied up with Trek and probably a lot of other things for the next year or so.

Which means us Sherlock fans will not be getting any new episodes to this absolutely gobsmackingly awesome series. DAMN IT!!! After tonight's season finale, WE NEED MORE SHERLOCK!!!!!

I do hope they can keep the three 90 min movie format per year going. Own season 1 on blu and loved season 2...amazing show...I doubt Trek alone will keep him tied up for a year, however, he does seem very in demand. The Hobbit will keep Martin Freeman busy as well

Abrams need to really tone down, actually remove the Lens flare and lopsided camera angles.

And don't make Kirk a ****** again.

you know what I hate more than that,
the stupid retarded camera shake, watching the behind the scenes seeing him hit the camera to make it shaky I was like WTF Is he Doing? :gah:
lol, that annoys me so much, even more than the lens flare

I guess a director has to make his mark somehow. :dunno

I guess but it does not make the action better, is just a big mess,
I mean, the camera going all over the place, you miss half the fights, is supposed to make you part of the experience but if anything, It takes me OUT of the movie experience, is so shaky sometimes im like.....:slap okay what am I even looking at anymore

Maybe you should watch, instead of complain.

I had zero problem following the action. Only shakey stuff was when...GASP! ____ WAS SHAKING! Oh the nerve!

Back