J.J. Abrams' Star Trek Into Darkness

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: J.J. Abrams' Star Trek 2

Yeah totally! That's like if someone was listening to some Mozart or Bach on the way to work or something this morning. Imagine listening to music from the 1600s/1700s in the 2000s....Crazy...so crazy :wink1:

Are you comparing Beastie Boys to Mozart or Bach? :slap

I'd agree that some songs will be eternal, like Paint it Black or Bohemian Rhapsody, but not Saboage, the only Beastie boys song that could live forever is probaby fight for your right.

I'd agree that some songs will be eternal, like Paint it Black or Bohemian Rhapsody, but not Saboage, the only Beastie boys song that could live forever is probaby fight for your right.

People still like The Beatles. :dunno

I loved the reboot and was able to get behind it in most every aspect, which was impressive as I've been a fan of Trek for a looooong time. I appreciated that it was done as an alternate timeline/reality (as a fan of Fringe, I know what a fun playhouse the multiverse concept can be), I preferred this to a straight-up prequel, as it allowed the creative freedom to update the look and feel of the show for a modern audience while keeping the flavor intact - as well as maintaining the "prime" universe, which is the concession made to fans who have spent hours and hours and hours watching all the other iterations of Trek. THAT universe is still intact, though Romulus is now toast in the 24th century. Though some things play out differently in the reboot universe, longtime fans still get the thrill of seeing Kirk beating the Kobiyashi Maru test, for example.

I was able to accept the concept of the characters coming together through "fate", it just seemed to fit somehow. The cgi monster was a little "off", but, honestly, the nitpicky thing that irritated me the most about that sequence was the name of the planet: "Delta Vega", a planet from the original series that was at the edge of the Milky Way galaxy. It's the place where Kirk and Spock try to strand Gary Mitchell and it was about as far from Earth as known space extended at the time. So for Delta Vega to be suddenly an ice planet that's so close to Vulcan that Spock could see the destruction of his home from the surface of his snowy prison-planet...THAT was a little jarring. It was likely meant as an homage to TOS, but the inconsistency had the opposite effect for me.

However, that was the only thing that really took me out of the flow of the film, so no big complaints! Can't wait to see the sequel, I have faith it'll be great!

I totally forgot Alice Eve was in this. Makes me even more excited.

Anybody have any idea who she's playing?

Thanks for the link!

I hope she plays the second female lead to Zoe and not just some throwaway character.

Comparing Beastie Boys to Mozart of Bach? Nope...just comparing the idea of listening to music that is centuries old. :)

As for what music will end up being 'eternal'....we don't really know in the end and frankly won't be around to know anyhow, ha! :lol

Comparing Beastie Boys to Mozart of Bach? Nope...just comparing the idea of listening to music that is centuries old. :)

As for what music will end up being 'eternal'....we don't really know in the end and frankly won't be around to know anyhow, ha! :lol

Speak for yourself sir. I plan to live forever. :wink1:

Anyone geddit?

Anyone geddit?

By far my favorite Star Trek movie. Well... Not by far. First Contact comes close. But I still prefer Generations.

Did not enjoy Abrams' take on Star Trek. I always felt ST worked best as a TV show anyways. The mediocre films just felt like two parters and the only ones I am crazy about are Generations, First Contact, and the one with the whales just because it's full of laughs.

I will say Abrams' made the most cinematic, most exciting, most Hollywood version of Star Trek. I just did not care for the changes or portrayals of the characters. Nor do I think that's what Star Trek is all about. The social spin of the stories were really the ones that worked best. Oh, and time travel paradoxes. The one in that movie was pretty meh.

Anyone geddit?

riker.gif
:lol

Anyone miss TNG? I loved the show when on the air, but aside from First Contact, movies were awful......as a result, I rarely think of it anymore

Anyone miss TNG? I loved the show when on the air, but aside from First Contact, movies were awful......as a result, I rarely think of it anymore

I love TNG and I do miss it; would love to see a new Trek show on tv, though more TNG-like and less Voyager/Enterprise-ish. Agree that the TNG movies largely blew, with First Contact being the watchable exception. There was a graphic novel, I believe written by Orci and Kurtzman, that detailed the events in the 24th century leading up to the beginning of 'Star Trek' the film. Reading that made me feel there was still potential for televised storytelling in the 24th century of Trek, with some cameos from our beloved TNG folks. The major TNG characters are all still viable (yes, even Data), and the actors would probably love the work! :lol

I watch TNG when I come across it on TV sometimes. I think that First Contact was really good...the others not so much.

I love TNG and I do miss it; would love to see a new Trek show on tv, though more TNG-like and less Voyager/Enterprise-ish. Agree that the TNG movies largely blew, with First Contact being the watchable exception. There was a graphic novel, I believe written by Orci and Kurtzman, that detailed the events in the 24th century leading up to the beginning of 'Star Trek' the film. Reading that made me feel there was still potential for televised storytelling in the 24th century of Trek, with some cameos from our beloved TNG folks. The major TNG characters are all still viable (yes, even Data), and the actors would probably love the work! :lol

I would love to see a new series, a well done one at that. I know it's nuts, but I would love to see Riker have his own command and maybe one or two TNG actors involved as well.

I thought TNG was one of the best shows ever made. The writing was top notch. Character development was fantastic. The TNG movies though, for the most part, were terrible. First Contact had moments, but never came close to what made the show so good. Star Trek 1-4, and 6 were great, in particular 1, 2 and 6.

I thought TNG was one of the best shows ever made. The writing was top notch. Character development was fantastic. The TNG movies though, for the most part, were terrible. First Contact had moments, but never came close to what made the show so good. Star Trek 1-4, and 6 were great, in particular 1, 2 and 6.

I think that the TNG movies were trying to be too much action oriented and that was never really what the series was about. IMHO.

So that quote got a nice reaction :)

Yeah, I liked Generations. I didn't find it to be the crime that some people did. Good score aswell by Dennis McCarthy who did the DS9 theme if I'm right. First Contact was ace, the 'if you were any other man..' scene still makes the hairs stand up. Picard and Worf were always my faves.

Back