J.J. Abrams' Star Trek Into Darkness

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: J.J. Abrams' Star Trek 2

Really looking forward to this!
I loved the first one, and I actually think Pine did a great job to take some of Shatner's mannerisms and incorporate them without making it a parody.
Spock and Bones were great as well. Didn't care much for Chekov and Scotty though.

Really loved that that the Beastie Boys "Sabotage" was in the film. It was a tribute to Shatner's inability to pronounce that word in the TOS!

I actually liked that to some extent. It let the older Trekkies keep their Trek without bastardizing it in a reboot for the new generation unlike 99% of all the other current remakes.
I, too, liked this move.

And too coincidental that he'd bump into old Spock and also Scotty if my memory of it serves me right
But even Spock mentioned how strange that was. I took it to mean that this crew getting together was destiny, even though other things might change.

I actually liked that to some extent. It let the older Trekkies keep their Trek without bastardizing it in a reboot for the new generation unlike 99% of all the other current remakes.

I don't agree, all it did was let them do whatever they wanted while using the names, location and look of the characters, Same as any other reboot, only this time they tried to add a reason for not honouring the original.

I read somewhere, long time ago it seems, that the villain was going to be one of 5 TOS villains. If I remember I think it was Trelaine, Mudd, Khan, the "living" rock (Gorta)? and one more, can't remember. I wonder is they stuck to that or if they have imagined a new villain?

I read Gary Mitchell, but in the original he was at the academy with Kirk, he may have been as they skipped some years in the first.

While watching the first i was hoping for Kirk to get his ass kicked by Finnegan :lol

Really loved that that the Beastie Boys "Sabotage" was in the film. It was a tribute to Shatner's inability to pronounce that word in the TOS!

I don't remember that, What episode?

I would love it if the sequel featured Yeoman Rand and Nurse Chapel (Not just a quick call out and bodyless voice). :D

Spock should've got together with Nurse Chapel, if anyone, in the first.

I don't agree, all it did was let them do whatever they wanted while using the names, location and look of the characters, Same as any other reboot, only this time they tried to add a reason for not honouring the original.

And I would argue including everything that's come before and finding a way to make it work was doing just that. :huh

Didn't Spock say that they would come back for him? I don't remember..

I think Spock said something about him sending him to a planet with a Federation outpost (where Scotty was stationed), so that he could find his way back or something.
The ejection pod landed at quite a distance from that outpost though...

Yep, to me it was a perfect ST reboot... it involved time travel and set it up so that the old series remains intact, but they are now in a separte time line and can do whatever they want.

While its cool that the old Trek can still be taken as it was while this Trek gets to do new stuff there is the question of why no one even contemplates for a second, I dunno, slingshotting around the sun like in Star Trek IV and undoing the damage Nero has done. I mean old Spock should be familar with that method of time travel since he was the one who pioneered it! And one would think he'd have quite the motive for wanting to repeat it, his homeplanet was completely obliterated and all.

I can absolutely get behind a JJ Abram's Star Trek sequel.

I hope he throws in another subtle nod to Star Wars.

While its cool that the old Trek can still be taken as it was while this Trek gets to do new stuff there is the question of why no one even contemplates for a second, I dunno, slingshotting around the sun like in Star Trek IV and undoing the damage Nero has done. I mean old Spock should be familar with that method of time travel since he was the one who pioneered it! And one would think he'd have quite the motive for wanting to repeat it, his homeplanet was completely obliterated and all.

It was explained in the movie that Nero's actions created an alternate timeline, it didn't change the "prime" timeline. Now why did Kirk's actions in Star Trek IV change the prime timeline instead of create a new one?

Well you see...

*runs out the door*

*tires squeal*

I had no idea! That is hilarious and awesome. And the song fit very well in that scene.

That scene in TOS was funny, but the song had absolutley no place, the film is set in the future why play a song from the 20th century :cuckoo:

Remember that Scene in Avatar where they rocked out to Nirvana? no me neither cos it would've been stupid to do so.

That scene in TOS was funny, but the song had absolutley no place, the film is set in the future why play a song from the 20th century :cuckoo:

Remember that Scene in Avatar where they rocked out to Nirvana? no me neither cos it would've been stupid to do so.

Yeah totally! That's like if someone was listening to some Mozart or Bach on the way to work or something this morning. Imagine listening to music from the 1600s/1700s in the 2000s....Crazy...so crazy :wink1:

It was explained in the movie that Nero's actions created an alternate timeline, it didn't change the "prime" timeline. Now why did Kirk's actions in Star Trek IV change the prime timeline instead of create a new one?

Well you see...

*runs out the door*

*tires squeal*
Unless. . .the future that the Star Trekkers came back to wasn't the same reality they left from! :panic:

And I wonder about the Borgs that went back in time and tried to assimilate earth. I guess the Enterprise was really just saving an alternate earth and not their own?

This is heavy, Doc.

Yeah totally! That's like if someone was listening to some Mozart or Bach on the way to work or something this morning. Imagine listening to music from the 1600s/1700s in the 2000s....Crazy...so crazy :wink1:

:lol Beat me to it! Had the post up ready to reply and Terminex arrived for the quarterly spray. :(

Dallas is a fan.

Back